Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Has anyone ever taken a flight with 2 flight connections...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 06:35 AM
Eva

I am checking into prices for Barcelona and I can take one with only one flight change (10 hours travel time) or two flight changes (16 to 18 hours travel time)- a $320 difference in price...is it worth it?

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 06:42 AM
mikey

Is it worth $320 to spend 7 extra hours of your time sitting around (me no way!). Another point is with every connection the bigger chance of having a delayed plan or other problem that would cost you more time. So for me it's not worth it but you'll have to look at your situation.

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 06:45 AM
Ed

I couldn't answer the question unless I knew the airlines and the connecting points. Given airlines that are reliable and connection airports that work well, the savings would be very attractive to me. <BR> <BR>twenj

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 06:51 AM
Eva

The 3 point connection would be a KLM/Northwest Flight: Toronto to Detroit to Amsterdam to Barcelona - the 2 point connection I have no worries about - British Airways whom I always found to be dependable.

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 06:52 AM
Shannon

Personally, I would save the $320.00 and use it on your trip. I have taken several trips with two connections (from Nurenberg, Germany to Phoenix and back) and I have NEVER had any problems. I actually preferred the two stops as it gave me a chance to stretch my legs after sitting on a plane for so long. Thats just my opinion. It purely a personal decision.

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 07:00 AM
Shannon

I just read your second post Eva. I have flown KLM/NW a few times and I have found them to be very reliable and prompt. I also have changed flights in Detriot and Amsterdam airports. Detriot I found very easy to and quick to navigate. Amsterdam is very large airport, so it may take a little time to get from Terminal to Terminal, but it is easy to find your way around. The staff there is very efficient and lines tend to move smoothly. I really don't see you having any problems, as long as you have enough time between flights to account for any problems, delays that might occur (I've found that 1 1/2 hours is perfect). Hope this helps. Whatever you decide - have a great trip!!

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 07:02 AM
Rex

Don't know what the actual prices are, but I wonder if there is a combination of better connection AND lower price. Have you tried two airlines? (One to London, a cheap one to Barcelona?) www.canada3000.ca (almost like a charter service - - never used them, but very cheap) <BR> <BR>and is this $320 CAD difference? or $USD? <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 07:17 AM
Ed

Haven't made connections in Detroit. Amsterdam works like a Swiss clock ... very reliable airport for connections. KLM about average in terms in of service, but they seem to run very reliably, certainly so in and out of their Amsterdam hub.

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 07:29 AM
richardab

Last year I flew to Madrid from Los Angeles making connections in Washington DC and Munich. Never again! Door to door, the trip took 24 hours and I was exhausted and disoriented when I finally arrived. Save yourself grief and try to find a trip with a direct flight or only 1 connection.

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 07:32 AM
Eva

It is $320.00 cdn - I was just thinking that while in Barcelona I could use the money for a plane trip to majorca or madrid for a few days - I've checked all the travel websites and think I have the best prices. <BR> <BR>p.s. thanks Rex - Canada3000 does not go to Barcelona - I checked them first - although granted it is not a pleasent flight...

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 07:33 AM
gail

I agree with Richard. We live in Nh and have to make 2 connections to get anywhere in Spain. It takes 24+ hours, leaves you exhausted, and as soon as you have trouble with one connection, the rest go down like dominoes. If I could get flights that eliminated one connection for $300 more, I'd grab them in a heartbeat.

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 09:33 AM
Mia

Living on the west coast, I've always had to do the 3 airport thing (San Diego to either LA, Chicago, or NY; then London, then my final destination). Never any problems, but I always worry about luggage so I always try to carry on for the flight over. <BR> <BR>Now that British Airways has a non-stop San Diego to London flight, I will consider this in the future...but only if the price is right. For me and my budget, $320 is extra souvenir money, so I wouldn't mind doing the 3-airport route!

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 11:06 AM
Diane

Just returned from Europe flying on United Airlines. Think about what is more important to you -- saving money or being guaranteed to maximize your time. On the way to Europe I was delayed 22 hours, being housed at a hotel for a night. On the return I missed my connection and was delayed fours until I could get another flight and arrived at my home at 2 am. If you can afford to be flexible, go for the dollar savings. Otherwise, keep shopping.

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 11:06 AM
Diane

Forgive my jetlag. I meant to say I was delayed four hours.

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 12:18 PM
Christina

It wouldn't be worth it to me as that's only about US$200 for an additional 16 hrs time? (8 hrs each way, I'm guessing that's a roundtrip problem?) Even if only 8 hrs added on time (which will not be relaxing time but energy-sapping time), it would not be worth it to me. My time is more valuable than that, to me, but that's obviously a personal decision. I don't get very much vacation time so spending that much extra time traveling is not cost-free to me. I agree it really increases the risk of delays or lost luggage. However, my real point was to suggest looking into flying to Washington DC and then taking Spanair to Spain nonstop from here. This is their only US departure city, I think; they are very cheap and I believe you get an addon flight (they land to Madrid) to Barcelona for free. I have a friend who just flew them last Fall and he said the flight and service was fine, as good as any, even though they are very cheap.

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 01:15 PM
Rex

Even if Canada3000 doesn't fly into Barcelona, I think you should look into cheap flights from Brussels or London to your final destination. <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 22nd, 2001, 05:11 AM
Julia

It may be tiring but is it really that much more tiring than a regular flight? Save your money!