Reload this Page >

has anyone ever had train employees demand more money halfway through journey

Feb 14th, 2004, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

this happened to me a couple of years ago on
a train in poland...the guy that came
through to check our tickets demanded that we owe more than we payed for our ticket
...it turned out to be roughly 20 bucks
US...he may have been telling the truth ....
he was very intimidating and we didn't want to ruffle any feathers so we payed him the money...i've always wondered if it was legit or a scam

the same thing happened last march in
hungary.....we were traveling from cesky krumlov to budapest (18hrs ouch)....the
fellow came by to check our tickets and
said that we were undercharged for the trip back in cesky krumlov....i argued with him
for quite a while....i even showed him
my reciept and the printed intenerary
that was given to me at the train station
...he said that none of this meant anything
since it was bought in another country....i
refused to give him anything and we argued for well over an hour until finally my friend
caved in (against my wishes) and payed him
....it was around 20 bucks....i still
think that this was a scam but i guess i'll
never know

anyone else had similar experiences?
Feb 14th, 2004, 09:52 AM

If he did not give you another ticket or receipt of some variety it was definitely a scam. I have found that if you feel someone is scamming you the best option is to say that this needs to be discussed with the police and how do we get them here. Have had problems like this twice (1 cab in Prague and 1 in a hotel in Spain) and both times they backed down as soon as I mentioned the police.
Feb 14th, 2004, 10:34 AM

Something much like your first experience happened to me in Poland.

As it turned out, I had a round-trip non-express ticket, but accidentally boarded an express train on the return trip.

I paid the difference and they did give me a (hand-written) receipt. It seemed like amount they charged was more than the difference between the one-way express and the one-way local fares. But since it's usual in many European countries to charge a hefty surcharge or fine for buying a ticket on board the train, I assume that would account for the difference.
Feb 16th, 2004, 04:17 AM
Original Poster

bump
Feb 16th, 2004, 04:55 AM
cmt

No. I've traveled a lot by train in Italy, both in recent years and long ago, but that has never happened. I've traveled a little by train in France, and also traveled by train in England and Greece a long time ago. It never happened in any of those places either. I've never been to eastern Europe.
Feb 16th, 2004, 08:58 AM

I had to pay more between Salzburg and Munich. The conducter said our ticket was not the right one for an express train. As far as I know she was correct. There was a surcharge for that type of train.

Feb 16th, 2004, 11:47 AM

We did . . . but it was our own fault. We had bought tickets for a couchette thinking it included the train ticket . . . we found our compartment, hunkered down for the night, only to be rudely awakened by the conductor asking to see our tickets.

We were taking the night train from Budpest to Prague . . . the conductor came by at every stop and demanded more money, needless to say, no one in our compartment got much sleep that night.

The funny thing was, we totalled up how much we actually paid and ended up paying less than if we had bought a ticket in the first place!

We are older and wiser now and know to buy a ticket and a couchette reservation! And, we can laugh about it now.

Sandy (in Denton)

Feb 16th, 2004, 02:48 PM

The first time we did a Eurail pass we took the Glacier Express to Zermatt. I was totally unaware that the pass was not good for that train, but knew we had to make a reservation. We went into a Swiss train office in Luzern a couple weeks before to make the reservation. The woman asked if we had tickets and I showed her our passes, which she even made note of the numbers on our reservations. We paid her for the reserved seats in First Class. So we were astounded when the conductor came to our seat and wanted to see our tickets as well as our reservation. We proudly showed him our passes and he insisted that they didn't cover the train. The price for Glacier Express First Class was incredibly high we thought, and ended up buying second class tickets instead. Since that time (a good ten years ago) I've noted that whenever I see Eurail passes they make very clear that Glacier Express is not included. But I've never figured out how we would know, when the Swiss Rail office worker didn't even know.
Feb 16th, 2004, 06:38 PM

I have occasionally witnessed train conductors ask for excess fees of people in rail cars and they were always correct, the person did owe an extra fee and probably could have been fined a lot more. Probably because I am American, I especially noticed when this happened to Americans because I could usually answer their questions or warn them what they were doing (ie, traveling in first class without the proper ticket, not having a seat reservatin when required, etc). Perhaps coincidentally, it was always backpackers with railpasses who were not traveling correctly. How difficult it is to find out that if you have a second class pass you are not supposed to be in cars with a big fat "1" on it?

I've taken the train a couple times in Eastern Europe, including Poland, and have never had any problem nor noticed anyone else being asked to pay extra for things they didn't owe.