Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Has anyone ever had luggage or items from inside luggage stolen from a European hotel room?

Has anyone ever had luggage or items from inside luggage stolen from a European hotel room?

Old Apr 11th, 2000, 03:49 PM
Grace

Is it necessary to cable-lock your luggage to something immobile in the room? We're staying at hotels ranging from inexpensive, (Pensione Panda in Rome) to expensive, (Hilton, Cannes and Paris).

Any experiences or thoughts on this?

Old Apr 11th, 2000, 05:40 PM
Ed

Over 80 trips to Europe in rooms ranging from $15/night for three (a l o n g time ago) to 5-star ... and nothing ever stolen.

On vacations we usually do have a Zero Haliburton aluminum case with combination lock in which I lock relatively valuable items. But it's really easy for professional thieves to get into.

Again, never a problem, but there's always a first time. We make it a practice to leave the diamonds, sapphires, rubies and gold ingots at home as a rule. Excess cash goes into the hotel safe.

Rome.Switzerland.Bavaria
www.twenj.com

Old Apr 12th, 2000, 05:57 AM
elvira

I, like Ed, have been in 0* to 5* hotels in various parts of the world, and have never had anything missing, nor even had the feeling my stuff had been searched. I've even left money out (not intentionally, just cleaning out the francs to replace with pounds and forgetting to put them away) and had it there when I returned.

Unlike Ed, though, I don't have anything of real value to leave home or bring with me - except, of course, those 6 Picassos, but the frames are SO cumbersome...

Old Apr 12th, 2000, 09:51 AM
julie

Have been travelling for 25 years, go abroad at least 5 times a year, and never had anything stolen, except a crummy tee shirt from a hotel in einburg.

Old Apr 12th, 2000, 10:20 AM
lola

I agree, that for whatever reason (fear of loss of job, or dare I say it, honesty), I've never had a problem with people stealing from the room. I try to keep things locked in the case and don't carry anything valuable, if possible, and use the safe for cash. Now as for the streets....