Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Has anyone ever done the tour and dinner at Fattoria dei Barbi in Montalcino?? Please share your thoughts. (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/has-anyone-ever-done-the-tour-and-dinner-at-fattoria-dei-barbi-in-montalcino-please-share-your-thoughts-646232/)

pantelia Sep 13th, 2006 06:12 AM

Has anyone ever done the tour and dinner at Fattoria dei Barbi in Montalcino?? Please share your thoughts.

Hello all mighty fodorites!

We (a group of 6) are thinking of reserving the following:

An Evening at Barbi The Fattoria dei Barbi is glad to welcome you to an Evening at Barbi - a special occasion to learn more about us.

The Evening includes: a tour of the Museum of The Montalcino Community and Brunello; a visit to our historic wine cellar, an aperitivo of our salamis, cheese and olive oil along with the following wines - Brusco dei Barbi, Morellino di Scansano & Bianco del Beato. Afterwards a typical Montalcinese dinner is served in the Taverna dei Barbi. The price is € 35,00 per person, reservations are required.

Have any of you ever done this tour/dinner? Please share your thoughts and comments on it.

Much appreciated. Happy Travels!

bobthenavigator Sep 13th, 2006 07:54 AM

Sounds like fun to me.
Have you compared to Castello Banfi. I know it is more expensive--you may want to look at it. I like the wines at Barbi.

pantelia Sep 13th, 2006 08:01 AM

Thanks Bob. I'll take a look at the other one as well.

macanimals Sep 13th, 2006 08:17 AM

Back in 2000 we did the tour at Barbi along with a nice wine tasting. The meal required advance planning and we did not have the time. I believe several people have submitted questions and reviews of Barbi on this forum--try doing a search using the search function above.
Don't overlook the Fortezza in Montalcino and its excellent tasting options (with food if you desire), they have a terrific range of past and current brunellos and rossos.
Cin cin. Paul

pantelia Sep 13th, 2006 05:36 PM

Thanks for the info macanimals.

toni_g_b Sep 13th, 2006 06:15 PM

We visited Fattoria dei Barbi in August 2005 and it may easily have been the highlight of our trip to Italy. The museum, the staff, the tour, the tasting, the meal at the Taverna were incredible. Try the wild boar ragout! And do have the grappa at the end of the meal. You may become a fan; I am. At that time, the tour, tasting and museum were free but the lunch was charged accordingly and reservations were required.

china_cat Sep 13th, 2006 06:41 PM

we did this several years ago, and probably my review is deep in this forum. We did not make any advance reservations, just showed up there and had a midday meal, a tour of the wine celler and tasted some wines. Its a lovely location, and they do make nice wines. The meal was excellent. they served many of their home made/home grown items, like cheese, home made salamis and so forth. It was great.

We visited Banfi as well, and did not eat there. We did not like it as well. The feeling at Banfi is a lot more corporate. Its such a large winery! We did not eat there, though, and i have heard the food is excellent.

pantelia Sep 14th, 2006 06:46 AM

Thank you all for the great comments!

27 days and counting! Excited doesn't even begin to describe it!