Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Has anyone else stopped using their real email address since "artistdavid" mined fodors for his junk mail list? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/has-anyone-else-stopped-using-their-real-email-address-since-artistdavid-mined-fodors-for-his-junk-mail-list-84612/)

Kavey Aug 28th, 2000 10:32 AM

Has anyone else stopped using their real email address since "artistdavid" mined fodors for his junk mail list?

Hi <BR> <BR>I am just wondering if anyone else has stopped using their real email address in posts since that artist began bombarding us with mail? <BR> <BR>I have had other junk mail before, no doubt from my own posts on a variety of sites, but somehow his posts struck me in a different way. <BR> <BR>Since then I have stopped using my real email and, as you may have noticed, just the xxx.co.uk above. <BR> <BR>But I feel bad about this because I have gained so much extra information and support and just fun conversations by emailing people direct and responding to those who have emailed me. <BR> <BR>And now I feel I cant do that, and I resent him for it. I know he isnt the only one to resort to this tactic but it has upset me quite a lot. <BR> <BR>So I thought I would find out how the rest of you feel, and whether you have any insights or ideas. <BR> <BR>I know I can just delete emails I dont want to read, but that isnt the point. <BR> <BR>Kind Regards to you all... <BR> <BR>/&lt;avey

bored Aug 28th, 2000 10:37 AM

Here's another topic that has been picked apart on this board. A summation. David is a jerk. Lots of people are upset. Some have e-mailed fodors to have the guy killed. A few others feel sorry for him because his art is so bad. That will save us all the trouble of tripping over this post again and again.

Kavey Aug 28th, 2000 10:53 AM

So __sorry__ to have bored you, if you are so bored why did you bother reading and responding? The title of the thread was as clear as I could make it. <BR> <BR>I _have_ read the posts on what people felt about his junk mail and how to stop it by contacting his isp and blocking it using their own browser. <BR> <BR>However what I am asking is how/ whether it has affected their own posting behaviour in the forum or are they ignoring it. <BR> <BR>K

adrienne Aug 28th, 2000 11:06 AM

Hi Kavey, <BR> <BR>I've thought about not using my real email address but decided against it. There was another thread similar to yours but since there's so much activity on this board you probably didn't see it. One of the posters said something to the effect that he wasn't going to let a pain in the neck like this artist prevent him from using his real id and that the rewards he had from sincere people who emailed him were worth the few minutes of frustration from spammers. I thought about all the pros and cons of using my real email id and, as you can see, have made my decision. I've received four emails from the painter but never looked at his site, the same way I don't purchase anything from a telemarketer. I've put his email id into my "no spam" list (I'm not sure it works) and have emailed him that I do not want to receive messages from him (I've yet to find out if that worked). My opinion is that it is a shame if you do not use your real email address since I've read many of your postings and find you have valuable information to impart. Someday I, or someone else on this board, might want to email you but would not be able to and that would be a loss. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR>Adrienne <BR> <BR>

Art Aug 28th, 2000 11:42 AM

I agree with the previous post. I refuse to let jerks control me. Some of you may of noticed that I'm organizing a get together of So Cal Fodorites soon. I could not do that without my email being correct as I will not give out my address, directions or phone on any forum. If they spam, I reach for my trusty &lt;delete&gt; key. <BR>

kavey Aug 28th, 2000 01:44 PM

Sigh <BR> <BR>I guess you are both right (and Adrienne, thank you for your comments). <BR> <BR>It just irks me so much... <BR> <BR>I think maybe I will resume adding my email address for any posts where I am sharing info which I think others might need to email me about... <BR> <BR>But probably not bother on the longer Where are you/ what are you doing now threads which are most likely to be mined by those creating mailing lists. <BR> <BR>Thanks to both of you for your input. <BR> <BR>Kavey

arjay Aug 29th, 2000 04:27 AM

Kav: I, too, stopped using my real e-m on Fodors quite a while back - so I never was innundated by 'the artist.' But I was getting so much other junk mail (and still am), and Fodors postings seemed the likely source. But like you, I am ambivalent, as on occasion I would hear from Fodor's folk with additional questions, etc. I guess I know the real solution is to get a free mailbox that's strictly the addy I give out on the net (as opposed to my personal one). And as soon as I figure out how, I guess that's what I'm going to do.

Cindy Aug 29th, 2000 05:03 AM

Kavey, how about this? Just use your e-mail address on threads where someone might have a legitimate reason to use it to contact you. Like the Fodorites in California thread. If you only give it out now and then, you dramatically reduce the chance that your e-mail will be abused. <BR>

Prudence Aug 29th, 2000 05:13 AM

I have two email accounts -- one on a freebie service that I use for things like this forum when I want an answer; one I pay for that I use for more secure business and correspondence. I still only use my real name when I want to be contacted because otherwise even the freebie service is vulnerable to being choked with spam and mass mailings.

Art Aug 29th, 2000 08:13 AM

Folks, I understand why some of you get peeved when you get spanned and don't want to publish your e-mail, but it would be nice if you at least used your name so that some of us who are interested (me for example) know what to call you. <BR>

Paulo Aug 29th, 2000 09:43 AM

Kavey, I get spam/junk mail every day. Once my connections to the ISP at work and at home are direct (fast, 24 hours/day) and I don't have to rely on the telephone (paying for all that junk making it to my computer) I really could care less. <BR> <BR>One may maybe classify spam/junk mail in 2 cathegories: 1- eventual (of the type you won $$) and 2- regular (like those from our dude David). I take care of the former by hitting the delete function (I never answer any of them). The nice thing about the latter is that the sender is well identified, with a fixed email address. It's therefore very easy to put a filter on the sender of these messages ... and instead of trashing them right away, the filter sends them directly to a junk folder (before trashing the junk folder every month or so, I'm "delighted" to check how many messages from each sender the filter was able to take care of :-) <BR> <BR>BTW, I set a filter for our spammer on August 16th after I received a 2nd mail from him. Since, this filter took care of messages sent Aug 22 and yesterday. <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR>

kavey Aug 29th, 2000 02:38 PM

Cindy, your idea is one I have thought about, and am still thinking about. <BR> <BR>I will also think about the freebie account. That way I guess I could just ditch the account if it got too much... <BR> <BR>Infact I might go away and check hotmail out right now. <BR> <BR>Al, my name is Kavita, and I am mostly known as Kavey... <BR> <BR>Infact to fill you in, I am Kavita Favelle, Indian descent, a brit born and bred, living in North London... <BR> <BR>I am happy to share info with readers ehre, just want to avoid the junk. <BR> <BR>I know I can delete it, but I dont want to pay to download it in the first place... <BR> <BR>THANKS for support and ideas <BR> <BR>Kavey <BR>

kavey Aug 29th, 2000 02:49 PM

Hoorah!!! <BR> <BR>Just signed up at hotmail.... <BR>And will be posting my address from now on... <BR> <BR>Hope it doesnt get mined too much, though, as I actually got my full name with no silly numbers on the end and I am already kind of attached to it!!!! <BR> <BR>Kavey

Thyra Aug 29th, 2000 03:46 PM

Welcome to the world of freebie email... 'tis a lovely thing.

beth Aug 29th, 2000 05:28 PM

you know, I will put my .02 in and forever regret it... <BR> <BR>I have a few hotmail accounts, and for some reason THIS account is blessed with no spam. I don't know why, I have used the above address for a few internet type things, not too many - but I always use it here and have yet to get spam. which is good, it is the one I use "personally" for the most part - everyone knows I have it and they use it as often as they use my work account... <BR> <BR>NOW, another hotmail account of mine gets SPAM LIKE YOU WOULDN'T BELIEVE. I don't know why. I opened it, used it for ONE internet type signup, and ever since get 25 messages per day. needless to say that is not the one I give out to people - I'd never see the messages! I only check it on occasion to get amused... and a third one gets a lot of spam too but I figured out how to effectively use the filters (ask me if you are having probs) and I have it down to a bare minimum now.. <BR> <BR>I think hotmail is just a spam miner... it scans the internet for crap and attracts it like a magnet.. <BR> <BR>Beth <BR> <BR>ps. I coudn't stand it - I decided just once not to put in my email - JINX! that's all I need... :-0

Tom Aug 29th, 2000 05:34 PM

Hey the guy's just trying to make a living. I open it and delete it. <BR> <BR>Tom

Kavey's Stalker Aug 29th, 2000 05:48 PM

Kavey, you might want to reconsider giving out your full name. I'll bet I could find you if I tried.

Frank Aug 29th, 2000 06:07 PM

Kavey's Stalker, Beware, you're coming really close to the line here. I would call that a threatening message to Kavey.

chris Aug 29th, 2000 06:28 PM

Frank, <BR> <BR>I saw nothing to suggest a threat in Kavey Stalker's post. <BR> <BR>Instead it seemed to assist her by reminding that none of us should get too comfortable in our goal to be confidential since today's technology makes it easy for anyone to back track us. <BR> <BR>

s.fowler Aug 30th, 2000 05:59 AM

I've always used a secondary account on this forum. I get a lot of spam at hotmail.. but that started relatively recently........ I use the bulk mail feature which catches most of it. I dio have a yahoo account too... and that one is relatively spam free so far. <BR>Note: while my old it.uwp.edu email is down, probably for good, the unoffical fodorite pages remain on that server safe and sound :)