Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Has anyone done a one day Paris-Lorie Castle bus tour? Advice needed?

Aug 23rd, 2000, 08:36 AM
John

My wife and I will be in Paris next month for two days. On one of the days we are "thinking" about taking one of the advertised bus tours (via CITYRAMA or Paris Vision) that visit the Loire Castles. The tour we are looking at is about a 12 hour round trip and goes to Chenonceau, Cherverny, and Chambord.

Have any of you done this bus tour? What was your experience? Would you recommend it?

Any feedback would help make our decision easier.

Thanks,

John

Sep 6th, 2000, 09:08 AM
To the top

Leave in four days. Advice needed.....

Sep 6th, 2000, 01:13 PM
topper

Sep 7th, 2000, 12:25 PM
Linda

I have done both of the bus tours. Each tour provides an excellent way to see the Castles of the Loire Valley in one day. One of the tours includes lunch at an auburge (? spelling) near Chenonceau and lunch with the other tour is 'on your own'. I have found that the tour guides are very informative. It is a wonderful way to see some of the French countryside!

Sep 7th, 2000, 10:10 PM
Nancy

John, we were in paris for a week two years ago. We did not rent a car as we were really concentrating on seeing all we could of Paris. We did however take the tour of the castles. I unfortunately, don't remember which company we used. It was the tour company that picks you up at your hotel, which I would recommend as that you will be leaving very early in the am, and will be tired at the end of the day. It was nice to be dropped off right at the hotel and not have to deal with the metro. Our tour was great. We saw what I considered to be some of the best castles and had a wonderful lunch which was included. Also had the opportunity to purchase some wine from the restaurant and a wine cave at one of the castles. We were picked up in a minivan, so our tour group consisted of only four others plus our guide who was wonderful. It was a great day,and I would not hesitate to recommend it. My only thought for you, is that if you are only going to be in Paris for two days, I would probably stay in Paris, there is so much to see and do. Is this your first trip?

Sep 8th, 2000, 09:35 AM
John

No, this will be our second time to Paris. We were there for 1 1/2 days two years ago. We really want to see the castles but it is hard to leave the city with so much to see and do there.

John

Sep 8th, 2000, 12:06 PM
Thomas

I would not give one of the two days to the allday tour to the castles unless you absolutely have to see them. After a while the tour became a bit boring and I was happy to be back in Paris. I did feel it was one of those things to get out of the way, so I would have gone sooner or later. I'm not really badmouthing the trip but being in Paris is so great I would hate to leave it.