Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Has anyone brought back lamps table or desk from Italy?

Mar 9th, 2001, 01:00 PM
mo

I love the italian design. I'll in Rome and Naples soon and am contemplating bringing back some small things for the apartment. Lamps is the first thing that come to mind. I know the voltage is different and that can be worked on, I think. Any comments? If you have come across some great shops, tell me where.

Mar 9th, 2001, 02:43 PM
Patrick

As an interior designer I have had a local shop rewire European lamps for clients. It is not a big deal.

Mar 9th, 2001, 05:21 PM
Linda

You really don't need to re-wire the lamps. All you need to do is replace the plug and change the bulb socket. You can find both of these items in any DIY or hardware shop. And it's possible to even escape that. There are adapters for both the plug and bulb socket, but they are more difficult to find. I've changed out the plug/bulb socket in both English and Italian lamps, and had no problem--and I'm NO electrician--or even talented. Don't worry. If you find a lamp you want, get it; you'll be fine.

Mar 11th, 2001, 07:51 AM
Mo

Thanks Patrick and Linda for your response. Do you know a great shop or a showroom either in Rome and Naples for designers' lamps?

Mar 11th, 2001, 05:30 PM
Linda

Sorry, no, I don't. I bought mine at a market in Naples. (They told me it was antique--yeah, antique 70s, but I loved it anyway, so I bought it.) Good luck.