Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Christmas Day in London? New Year's in Edinburgh?

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 02:12 PM
Sherry

My new husband and I will be spending our first Christmas and New Year together on holiday in the UK, away from our families. We are excited, but want to make sure that Christmas turns out special, and we don't just feel like lonely tourists away from our families. It seems that a lot fewer things are open in London on Christmas Day than here in California. Does anyone have suggestions for things for us to do? We were planning to attend midnight mass at either Westminster Abbey or St. Paul's Cathedral on Christmas Eve (comments on either are welcome). For Christmas Day, someone had suggested a dinner or lunch cruise on the Thames? Are such cruises nice, or cheesy, or are there certain ones that are nice, but others more touristy? We'd prefer not to be with on a tacky tourist trip on Christmas day, but it does sound like a nice option. Alternatively, does anyone know of any activities occuring on Christmas day or of any places known for serving great Christmas day dinner?

Also, we will be in Edinburgh for New Year's/Hogmany. Has anyone experienced this? Is it worth it to buy the First Foot Club membership to be guaranteed entrance into the street fair? Is it worth it to go to one of the balls offered by the hotels? We're staying at the Roxburgh, which has one, as does the Balmoral? What is the concert in the gardens like?

Thanks in advance. All of you on here have been ENORMOUSLY helpful already in planning this trip, just as the folks on the Hawaii boards were when we planned our (stunning) honeymoon this past summer! We are traveling novices, and are so thankful to have such wonderful advice.

Thanks,
Sherry

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 11:13 PM
Janie

If you want to do something really different including mass try this website: it says a few days but you might be able to join the feast for the day alone.

http://smithsonianstudytours.org/sst...1903london.asp

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 11:27 PM
sally

I am from the UK and have lived in London. Would be very surprised if there is ANYTHING open or running on Christmas Day other than hotel based activities. You may want to think about booking Christmas at a country hotel (log fires, nice lunch and walks etc) as IMHO London would be quite bleak as a tourist unless you wld enjoy walking round all the sites with no other tourists.

You cld always go into London either side of Christmas, transport permitting.

Hope this helps.

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 12:43 AM
Sheila

Sherry, I have no comment really on the London end, and my experience of Edinburgh at Hogmanay is derived from accounts.

There's been masses written about Edinburgh's Hogmanay here in the last few months. If you run a search (using all possible mis-spellings you will see what has been said.
However, as I understand it the First Foot Club is well worth having a ticket for. I'd also suggest you get a ticket for one of the dances; if the rest falls flat on its face (which is unlikely) you will have a structure to your night.

I understand the concert in Princes Street Gardens is fabulous and the castle makes a tremendous backdrop to the fireworks.

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 04:57 AM
Keith

I'd go along with Sheila and suggest you get a ticket for Princes Street, and also one for the ball at the hotel. The Roxburghe is a really nice hotel in a good location - no more than two minutes walk from Princes Street - so it's feasible that you could dip in and out of both so that you could see the fireworks.

Also, I'd check with the hotel as to whether or not they have tickets for Princes Street. They may have been allocated some in advance, though I'm not sure.

As for Christmas Day in London, there's really not much happening I'm afraid. You don't say where you're staying - I'd think it's possible that the hotel might lay on something since everything else will be closed!

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 08:38 AM
bettyk

I did a search on google for Christmas in London for Visitors and came up with what might be a few helpful websites:

http://www.londontown.com/London/Christmas_In_London/
http://london.allinfo-about.com/features/xmasent.html
http://www.welcometolondon.com/Artic...ec2000.htm#Top