Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Has anyone booked on the new Trainline for idTGV?

Old Oct 8th, 2017, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bonjour,

When I last visited France in 2016, I used Capitaine Train to book idTGV tickets from Paris to Avignon. However, Capitaine Train has changed to Trainline and it seems, well, different. Has anyone used the new Trainline to book the cheap idTGV tickets? Is it still a good deal?

I'm seeing many options for booking now: idTGV site, Ouigo, Trainline...and to my brain it seems more confusing than what I did before.

Any tips, suggestions, experiences?

Thank you in advance, and please be kind if this is a "stupid" question.

Jennifer
Old Oct 8th, 2017, 09:00 PM

Yes, it works just fine I've booked many tickets on it with no problem.
Old Oct 9th, 2017, 03:26 AM

Trainline consolidated two companies, to cover the UK and continental Europe. That explains why there are two Internet sites:

https://www.thetrainline.com/
https://www.trainline.eu/

I've used the European branch to buy tickets in Spain and it was easier than using the RENFE site.
Old Oct 9th, 2017, 03:32 AM

www.seat61.com probably has insights.
Old Oct 9th, 2017, 03:35 AM

https://www.idtgv.com/en

why not book direct and skip the middlemen?
Old Oct 9th, 2017, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies. I notice in Trainline there is either a rather pricey TGV option or a bare bones Ouigo option. I had read that idTGV was being eliminated, so I wasn't sure it would be an option when we travel this spring.
Old Oct 9th, 2017, 06:38 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Indeed, idTGV is being phased out by the SNCF but not as quickly as originally planned when they discovered how many customers were really attached to it. The SNCF has claimed that there will be plenty of Prem's tickets available on normal TGV trains to compensate. As for the Ouigo trains, they are not quite the same, because they are reconditioned older TGV trains with more seats added and baggage restrictions. However, the 10 euro fares are extremely popular, even though it requires going to one of the TGV stations in the suburbs to catch the train (Chessy-Disneyland, Massy, etc.). Luckily all of these stations are accessible by RER. They are just about to start a service of Ouigo trains from Paris-Montparnasse, but the fares will start at 16 euros rather than 10 euros due to higher station fees.
Old Oct 9th, 2017, 07:57 AM

Any website will show you trains that are actual options for the dates you want, so not sure what your question is. If the price is what you call cheap, then it is a good deal. I don't really know what you want, you aren't going to find tickets cheaper than the actual price of the fare from SNCF on any website.

I just book on SNCF, don't see the point of all these different websites that are run by SNCF itself, not sure why they do that (eg a special website for TGV, etc). If course trainline is a different company.
Old Oct 9th, 2017, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

kerouac,

Good to know they are holding onto the idTGV a little longer. Not sure if it will still be around when our ticket buying window opens up, but crossing my fingers. The idTGV tickets were so much less expensive than other options.
Old Oct 9th, 2017, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Christina,

Actually when we traveled in France in 2016, Capitaine Train had much less expensive idTGV ticket options than SNCF. And RailEurope was simply outrageously expensive for the same trip. The one big advantage to Capitaine Train, is that they did not care that I live in the United States. On the SNCF site, if you state you are from the U.S. they immediately bump you over to RailEurope for tickets.
Old Oct 9th, 2017, 11:06 AM

Q- thetrainline.eu - do they exactly match fares? No handling fee - why do folks use rather than source -easier to work for Americans as I've heard - why?

Thanks
Old Oct 9th, 2017, 11:07 AM

People use trainline because it's not allergic to US credit cards the way SNCF is, that's all.