Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Has anyone been to the The Grape Festival in Impruneta?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2012, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We could stop by here when we leave Castellina in Chianti to head for Lucca. I had planned on going to Volterra that day, so I would have to re-arrange some things if we go to the Festival. It sounds kind of fun.

Festa dell'Uva (Grape Festival)
The Grape Festival, which started in 1926, and is probably the most popular annual event in Impruneta both for natives and tourists. Over the years it lost some of the original rural characteristics but its essential popular nature has remained intact. The most important part of the parade consists of allegorical carts built by the four districts of Impruneta: Fornaci, Pallò, Sant’Antonio and Sante Marie. During the day of the festival, popular dances, performances, tasting of agricultural products and shows of the local handicraft products are held. The "festa dell’uva" is held on last Sunday of September. The food stalls open at 11 am and the parade of floats starts at 3.30 pm
Old Aug 15th, 2012, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

ttt

Anyone been to Impruneta? To any Grape Festival?
Old Aug 15th, 2012, 05:33 PM

I have been to Impruneta but not to a Grape Festival. I visited Impruneta during the early part of October and loved the town! The hotel where we stayed was only a 3 minute walk into town where there were several restaurants, banks, a grocery store and other shops. The day we arrived there was a street festival of some sort. There were stalls and tables of local food, candies, souvenirs and even clothes. It was a lot of fun. One other advantage of Impruneta is it is ony 10 KM by local bus to Florence. It is also near Greve and other Tuscan towns.
Old Aug 16th, 2012, 02:28 AM
Original Poster

When we have been in Italy before we went to some "Market Days" in various towns. They were like a giant Wal-Mart on the street with mostly chinese products and clothing. I'm hoping a Grape Festival is different.
Old Aug 18th, 2012, 01:54 PM

You may be right, wrenwood, but it was fun mingling with the local people. I recall buying lots of candy! By the way, in October it was olive harvesting season. That was very interesting.