Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Has anyone been to the Berlin Film Festival?

Has anyone been to the Berlin Film Festival?

Jan 11th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Sallygirl42

Has anyone been to the Berlin Film Festival?

I'm interested in going to Berlin for part of it (I live in Belgium) and possibly staying in an apartment, but is it difficult to get tickets to the screenings? Or should I avoid going to Berlin during that time at all? It is February 7-17. Thanks!

Jan 11th, 2008, 12:03 PM

Getting tickets is not that difficult unless you are focused on the premiere screenings which are often attended by the celebreties. But the same films are also shown during the following days and/or at other times. Off-peak showtimes (during daytime) are also less crowded.
You can either buy your tickets online at www.berlinale.de (yet not now), or at the ticket counter when you are in town.

The city gets somewhat crowded during the film festival, but since most of the action is focused on the Potsdamer Platz area, and because the city is not exactly a small one, you will not feel the same impact on everyday life as in smaller city which host a major event. So everything else (museum, shopping, etc.) goes on as normal, and you won't have crowds everywhere.
Feb 6th, 2008, 07:05 AM

Which are the best venues? There's a main Palast at Potsdamer Platz. And there's Kino International. There's also a Palast in West Berlin. And there's Urania.

There're a lot of other venues. Do people know where the "best" films are usually shown? I think the red carpet action is all at the Palast at Potsdamer Platz.

I'll be there next Saturday. I'm looking for (late?) Sat. night. If people know anything about the films shown, that'd be great.

Problem with online tickets is that they seem to go in batches. I think ticket sales only started on Feb. 5 and for films next Sat. tickes aren't available yet.

Thanks!

Feb 6th, 2008, 08:25 AM

The entire catalog with show times is available on their website in pdf. Try this link. http://tinyurl.com/22l7xb. (If the link doesn't work, it is available on the websiteu nder the tab "programme" and a few more steps.) This catalog is only in German, but the names of the films and the actors, directors, etc. are written in their original language. It also provides for each screening the original language and if it is subtitled in English or German. I don't read or speak German but it was easy to figure out the listings.
Feb 6th, 2008, 12:40 PM

You can check out the ticket sales procedures here:
http://www.berlinale.de/en/service/e...ten/index.html

Only a certain percentage of tickets is available for online reservations. So if nothing is available online, it does not mean that the screening is sold out!

Tickets for Premiere screenings of Competition films are available 3 days in advance, for repeat screenings 4 days in advance.

When you look at that website I mentioned above, check out the locations of the 3 central ticket sales offices. You can simply go there and ask what is still available.
BUT: On the day of the screening, tickets are only available at the box offices of the cinemas themselves!
The details are also on that website.

It is a bit complicated, I have to admit. And saturday is usually the busiest day of all.

The venues:
Potsdamer Platz is indeed the hot spot.
The Kino International is on Alexanderplatz (where the big TV tower is located).
Zoo Palast Kino is a big one near the Zoo (who would have guessed that) - and its biggest screen (#1) is awesome.
Urania is near KaDeWe department store in the western part of Berlin.
The last one is not favorite.

Films (often the rpt screenings) also are shown in other movie theaters located in walking distance from the main venues or at least not that far away.
Feb 13th, 2008, 02:37 AM

Thanks. I'm taking a look at this again. I've not managed to get anything online. Right now it looks like most tickets there are sold out. When I checked a few days ago, it seemed like tickets had not gone on sale.

There's only one possibility at Arsenal 1 -- a film from Philippines. I don't think I'll go for this.

Since I'll only be in Berlin on Saturday, I guess going to the box office directly is my only option? I'll try to call them and find out.

Have you tried just showing up at the movie theatre and getting tickets? Have you been turned away? I'm already at the tail end, and films have been screened 3-4x.

Do people know about some of the movies on Saturday? It looks like I can see some of these elsewhere I bet, but the fun thing would be to see something at the Berlin Film Festival.

Other Boleyn Girl (Scarlett Johansson is in this)

Be Kind Rewind (Mia Farrow)

Katyn (directed by Wajda)

Filth & Wisdom (directed by Madonna)

A Serbian movie called "Love and Other Crimes" (Panorama special -- I should find out what Panorama means)
Feb 13th, 2008, 02:38 AM

Oh, and I've seen good things about a movie called Black Ice (Finnish).
Feb 13th, 2008, 02:47 AM

Correct, you will have to go to the box office directly, but they open hours before 1st screening, so you don't have to wait till the afternoon to give it a try.
You will have to check the box office hours of those theaters.
Sometimes I got lucky with same-day tickets, other times I did not. This is a bit like roulette, unfortunately.
Feb 13th, 2008, 02:56 AM

Thanks. My flight doesn't even get in until 2 pm. I just called the Festival number and I was on hold for a few minutes and then the line was cut off.

Actually I'm most curious about the Berlinale Palast. My hotel I think is near Kino International since I'll be staying near Alexanderplatz. Maybe I'll just check out the action on the outside.

Feb 15th, 2008, 06:19 AM

Hi Cowboy, if you're still checking this thread, why is Urania not a favorite? You mean you don't like it? Or most people don't like it? Thanks!

Search this Thread