Has anyone been to Tarragona, Spain?

Jun 1st, 2010, 07:54 PM
Original Poster

Has anyone been to Tarragona, Spain?

We're going to be in Barcelona for a few days in late August and would like to end our vacation with a few day stay at a beach town/resort nearby. We'd like to take the train so we don't have to mess with a car so we've narrowed it down to Sitges and Tarragona. Several friends say Sitges is a fun and engaging town but I've also found a nice hotel/spa in Tarragona and it looks like that town has lots of interesting history.

If what we're looking for is a nice beach where we can swim in the sea, good food, interesting things to do if it's cloudy, and a relaxing stay, which would you recommend and, what should we see and do there?
Jun 2nd, 2010, 09:57 AM

Never been to Sitges. Tarragona is like an ancient Roman city right on the Med. Fascinating ruins, etc. and a lively square at night, Plaza La Font. I really liked it for one night.
Jun 2nd, 2010, 02:01 PM

Sitges is a nice, busy, seaside resort area with a lot of restaurants to choose from and a vibrant nightlife.

There are miles and miles of beaches in the province of Tarragona, from from Cunit to Les Cases d'Alcanar. The city of Tarragona is more famous for its Roman ruins than anything else.
Jun 3rd, 2010, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Thank you - they both sound really nice. Difficult choice...
Jun 3rd, 2010, 06:58 PM

I did the same trip last summer. Took the train to Tarragona. My three children loved it better than the 8 nights in BCN. We stayed on Las Ramblas, which has great places to eat. Loads of history and great ruins from Roman Empire and Julius Caesar's era. You might be the only Americans there, only met one couple from USA in the 3 days we were there. The beaches have gold flecking in them, which was interesting. The beach in the town of Tarragona is nice. I was traveling alone with three 9 year olds so I did not venture out to the other beaches in Tarragona province. The part of town near the sea and old town are very charming. I noticed many Italians vacationing here, so gelato sold everywhere, a plus. It was very hot, so be near a beach or pool. You will do most sight seeing in the morning because by noon it is too hot to do much else.
We drove through Sitges one day, it was very touristy.
Hope you make it to Tarragona. Oh, and the tourist office on Las Ramblas has info in English.
Jun 3rd, 2010, 07:26 PM

Tarragona is wonderful. The old part of town is lively and atmospheric, lots of great plazas, tapas bars etc...

I am not so sure how the beaches are there - didn't visit them. The beaches in Sitges seemed very nice and that is also a really walkable town. But Tarragona + kids = what seems to be a winning combination, to me.

Search this Thread