Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Has anyone been to Salzburg, Austria? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/has-anyone-been-to-salzburg-austria-86453/)

Walt Sep 14th, 2000 03:49 PM

Has anyone been to Salzburg, Austria?

Heading to Munich, Germany this Saturday and am planning a day trip to Salzburg. Is it worth it or do you recomend elsewhere?

Thyra Sep 14th, 2000 04:51 PM

Walt, in my opinion Salzburg is one of the most magical cities on earth!! There is so much to see, Mozart, a nice castle the town square and old section of town are positively fantastic and the people first rate. I would definately suggest you visit there, I think you may be sorry that you only had one day. Have a great trip!

Jeff Sep 14th, 2000 05:11 PM

Hi Walt, <BR> I definitely agree with Thyra. I was in Salzburg this May and thought it was beautiful. I enjoyed walking down the streets and soaking up the atmosphere. I stopped at the Domplatz and heard a choir sing the Hallelujah Chorus. I visited the Mirabell Palace and the Salzburg Castle. I think you'd be sorry if you didn't go.

Bill Fleites Sep 14th, 2000 05:13 PM

Do not miss it. Salzburg is a beautiful little town sitting on the Salzach river. If you are at all interested in Mozart and his music, then it becomes a must stop. While there don't miss the outdoor market on the square right next to the cathedral.

rob Sep 15th, 2000 12:16 PM

IMHO, except for Venice, Europe's most beautiful city. Also, however, one of Europe's wettest, so keep flexible, watch the weather reports, and try to hold out for a really nice day. But definitely go.

Ken Horn Sep 15th, 2000 12:30 PM

Walt- I wholeheartily agree with the other posters re Salzburg. You might want to wait until you're a little tired of the 'Fest and spend a nite in Salzburg, especially on the weekend. King Ludwig's castles are also worth a daytrip. Have fun and lift one for me!

Austin Sep 15th, 2000 03:41 PM

<BR>Walt-- <BR> <BR>pay attention to the above posts <BR> <BR>They are spot on

the turnip Sep 15th, 2000 06:06 PM

Yes go to Salzburg but only if you've already seen Ludwigs castles. Neuschwanstein is to die for and not that far from Munich. Personally I'd rather seen the Konigsee than Salzburg...

julie Sep 15th, 2000 08:36 PM

I wholeheartedly agree with all of the above posts, but how can the "Sound of Music Tour" be left off the list??????? As a completely die-hard lover of this movie, I was not about to miss seeing the sets/sites of the greatest movie ever made! <BR> <BR>Aside from this tidbit--I'm also a big fan of Salzburg regardless of the "Sound of Music" connection!

steve rankin Sep 16th, 2000 05:55 AM

I spent a wk. in Salzburg-What a <BR>beautiful place-I remember going up <BR>into the Alps and doing alot of hiking <BR>(there were shelters along the trails <BR>in case you were caught in a sudden snowstorm, which were stocked with wood). <BR> I had a Euarail pass and vividly recall riding the "local" trains through <BR>the Alps south of town. The train would stop very frequently at little villages <BR>along the way. Kids were getting out of <BR>school for the day, and they all travel- <BR>ed on skis. The trains were set up so the kids could "ski" right onto the trains (as well as other locals too, <BR>since this seemed to be the best way <BR>to get around). It was so magical to see <BR>the small kids (especially) who were <BR>5,6, & 7 yrs old just "ski" onto the train, ride it for 2 or 3 stops, then <BR>"ski" off with their little backpacks <BR>on and their very colorful winter apparel. <BR> The Euarail pass was also good for <BR>riding the local buses that traveled up into the mountains, also providing you <BR>with spectacular views (sometimes scary).HAVE FUN

edie Sep 16th, 2000 06:54 PM

maybe it's b/c all three times i was in salzburg i was a college student, but my favorite thing was that huge brewery/pub that's in the monastery! i can't remember the name, but that, the sound of music tour and the saltmine tour are three of my favorite memories of europe(not counting all my italy memories, of course.)

Joaquin Bustamante Sep 17th, 2000 07:02 AM

Nothing to add. Definitely is one of those cities that fills all your expectations. Donīt miss the Salzburgher nokel. Most probably misspelled. Sound of music tour a must.Good luck.

Bill Sep 17th, 2000 09:41 AM

<BR>Any hotel recommendations? <BR>We'll be there for a few days next summer (first week of July, before the Festival). Our preference would be the best, coziest, most friendly, most convenient, 3-star rather than luxury for its own sake, but would be willing to go for the "high price spread" if there is a not-to-be-missed spot (as I've heard the Schloss Monchstein described to be).

steve Sep 21st, 2000 05:52 AM

Sound of Music tour <BR>Castle <BR>Ice caves at Werfen <BR>Salt mine at Hallein <BR>walking around the town again and again <BR> <BR>A day's not enough - at least 2. Spent 9 days there last time and would go again tomorrow if I could

Bob Brown Sep 21st, 2000 07:06 AM

Salzburg is worth a day or two or three, more if you can find concerts to attend. <BR>As for the Sound of Music tour, I thought the one I took was an egregious rip off. All we did was drive by places , take a glimpse at some gazebo that might or might not have been the one in the movie, and then have 50 minutes in Mondsee to see the church where the wedding was filmed. <BR>We got to Mondsee at noon, so the choice was eat or see the church, but not both because there was no time. Then there were all of those recommendations to eat strudel as Frau Braun's place in Mondsee. As if we could do any of that in 34 minutes, because it took 8 minutes to walk in from the bus and another 8 to get back. <BR>I don't know which tour the other folks took, but they must have had a better one than I did. I went with Gray (Grey ??) Line Tours. My advice is don't take that one.

MED Sep 21st, 2000 09:24 AM

GO! I was there for a day and felt that I really saw a lot. Its a good change of pace from the big city feel of Munich. You can always visit Salzburg again some other time if you feel you didn't get your fill.

salzburglover Sep 21st, 2000 09:28 AM

Stay at the Hotel Trumer Stube and eat at the Cafe Winkler at sunset. Fabulous.

Terry Sep 21st, 2000 10:23 AM

Agree with above messages. <BR>Don't miss the Bishop's Palace (Hellbrun - I think its called) Gives one a new appreciation of what water can do.