Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Has anyone been to one of the Pope's Masses in Rome Italy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 10:12 AM
giovanna

Hello my name is giovanna. Next year my fiance'and I are going to Rome also for our honeymoon.We are planning on going to see of the Pope's masses that he does.Has anyone else gone to one. Did you get meet the pope by going to one of the masses? We will be going in the middle of September of Next year. I hope someone can help us out. thanks <BR> <BR>giovana

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 10:23 AM
Rex

Meet the Pope? Oh goodness, no, giovanna - - these are "massive" _audiences_ - - they are not a "celebration of mass" - - maybe 10,000 people, maybe even more than that. A few (hundred) VIP people are up on the area, near the Pope for special recognition (priests about to undergo ordination, for example). The Pope, or more often special emissaries from various countries read blessings in various languages. <BR> <BR>It is very interesting, and a worthwhile way to pass a Wednesday in the Vatican, but it it is NOT personal. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 12:24 PM
Judith

Also, the Pope conducts the mass (blesses the people) from a special building window on the second floor. The masses are outside in a massive square. He will be far away and difficult to see if you are in the back.

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 01:57 PM
StCirq

Giovanna: <BR> <BR>There are two ways to see the Pope. First, you can attend one of the outdoor masses (Wednesday mornings, if memory serves me right). Here, you will be one of many, many thousands of people. The pope is on a raised platform near the steps of the Vatican, and you'll be able to hear him over a loudspeaker. There are also now large screens set up in strategic places, so that even if yuou are too far away to make out his outline (which is likely), you can catch a glimpse of him on screen. It is also possible to write in advance and obtain a ticket to a smaller "audience" with the Pope, inside the Vatican. It's been more than a decade since I've done this, but perhaps someone else will know where you can write to obtain tickets (probably on the web now, too). At these audiences, there are maybe 200-33 people, which seems quite intimate in comparison to the outdoor affair.

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 02:12 PM
ROb

If you wear your wedding clothes you can get very close to the pope. Many couples on thier honeymoon take the tux and wedding dress for this once in a life time experience. Ask your local bishop to handle the details.

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 02:14 PM
Alec

Very helpful guide to Papal Masses and Audiences, including on-line request for tickets (free), is available at Santa Susanna Church (Rome) website at: <BR>http://www.santasusanna.org/html/pope.html

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 04:04 PM
StCirq

I meant 200-300, not 200-33, which looks simply ridiculous. Sorry to top this by correcting myself, but some mistakes are just too stupid.

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 08:09 PM
Susan

Giovanna: I can't imagine any regular person getting to actually meet the Pope. I was in Rome in 1960 with a private chorus and we actually sang "Ave Maria" for Pope John XXIII (prearranged), and none of us got to meet the Pope. However, even though I was only 7 years old, I remember that event very vividly (and I'm not even Catholic). So go see the Pope even if you can't personally meet him! You will always remember it. <BR>

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 04:35 PM
AFarewell

To those not sure.

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 09:58 PM
Bobbie

Does any one else have a recent experience to share? or advice?

Old Sep 1st, 2001, 08:38 AM
bobbie

topping.

Old Sep 1st, 2001, 09:50 AM
Andy

Giovanna- when we were in Rome,we went to the Vatican on a Sunday--there were throngs of people pushing forward--we literally got pushed into an area where there were x-ray machines and security to look into your handbags etc--we got inside the chapel and did get to see the Mass--during the Mass,we left and walked around the building and enterd thru a side door and were able to get about 75 ft to the Pope--much closer than our original area to sit ,which was at the back of the chapel--when Mass was over,we were real interested in seeing the Ornate Silver Items used in Mass (we are not Catholic) and we went right up to the area where the Pope had just stood--there were tons of security guards but you were able to get right up and see all the items---Then,we went outside the chapel and the Pope was in a window blessing the Masses of people below== <BR>We couldn't believe our good fortune-- <BR>PS we never bought any tickets because we didn't know we'd need them and we didn't even know at the time if the pope was going to be there--JUST LUCK- <BR>If you do go,it was an awe-inspiring experience!

Old Sep 1st, 2001, 05:47 PM
John Bermont

Giovanna, <BR>In my vagabonding days of the early 80s I made a point of visiting Rome at Christmas to see the Pope celebrate midnight Mass. A fellow from New Jersey who I had met in Dublin tipped me off on the idea and the procedure. You pick up a ticket at the Vatican the day or day before Christmas Eve, no charge. The fellow in Dublin told me about the scene and he was right -- nuns all around me were standing on their chairs taking flash pictures of the Pope as he came up the aisle. If you are early you can get very close and take home some photos. In that cathedral, Mass is inspiring. For years afterwards I would watch midnight Mass on TV to see if I could find the area where I sat. It is one of the highlights of my adventures in Europe. <BR>After Mass I walked across Rome in the wee hours, back to my hotel near the Stazione Termini. It seemed that most of Rome was out at the cafes drinking and eating that night. <BR>John Bermont <BR>www.enjoy-europe.com <BR>

Old Sep 2nd, 2001, 11:09 AM
Cathy

Giovanna <BR> <BR>Don't mind Rex's negative attitude - you don't have to be a VIP to meet the Pope just pre-arrange it with your local Catholic Bishop. So it is possible to meet the Pope if plan ahead, <BR> <BR>Cathy

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 09:48 AM
kime

We were in Rome in June and my travel companions got tickets to the Mass celebrated on the feast of Sts. Peter and Paul. They had seats, were not 'too' far from the Pope (this is a relative term. Basically they were closer than most lay people) and enjoyed the experience very much.