Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Has anyone been to Northern Italy (Milan, Venice) in December? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/has-anyone-been-to-northern-italy-milan-venice-in-december-46034/)

Ben Jun 9th, 1999 09:25 AM

Has anyone been to Northern Italy (Milan, Venice) in December?

How cold is it? I'm thinking about going but I hate anything below 40 degrees. Should I go some other time?

richard j. vicek Jun 9th, 1999 09:51 AM

Good afternoon, Ben <BR>Best I can give you is weather for Oct <BR>and Jan for each place. <BR>ROME <BR>Oct HI 72 Low 55 7 hrs sun 3.7 in rain <BR>Jan Hi 54 Low 45 5 hrs sun 3.4 in rain <BR>VENICE <BR>Oct Hi 64 Low 48 4 hrs sun 5.3 in rain <BR>Jan Hi 45 Low 32 2 hrs sun 3.5 in rain <BR>Have been in both places as late as the <BR>15th of December, A good warm jacket and <BR> heavy wool sweater should keep the cold <BR>away. In December , tourism is less and <BR>ristorantes quite empty. Venice will <BR>have a good deal of fog at this time. <BR>Have a good trip. <BR>Richard of Hickory Hills, Il....

richard j. vicek Jun 9th, 1999 09:51 AM

Good afternoon, Ben <BR>Best I can give you is weather for Oct <BR>and Jan for each place. <BR>ROME <BR>Oct HI 72 Low 55 7 hrs sun 3.7 in rain <BR>Jan Hi 54 Low 45 5 hrs sun 3.4 in rain <BR>VENICE <BR>Oct Hi 64 Low 48 4 hrs sun 5.3 in rain <BR>Jan Hi 45 Low 32 2 hrs sun 3.5 in rain <BR>Have been in both places as late as the <BR>15th of December, A good warm jacket and <BR> heavy wool sweater should keep the cold <BR>away. In December , tourism is less and <BR>ristorantes quite empty. Venice will <BR>have a good deal of fog at this time. <BR>Have a good trip. <BR>Richard of Hickory Hills, Il....

elvira Jun 9th, 1999 09:59 AM

Milan in Feruary was about 35-45 farenheit, definitely winter, still air. We wore winter coats and gloves, wool pants and sweaters, warm socks, and were very comfortable. The air was NOT bone-chlling. Even on Lake Como, we were comfortable. The air seemed to be very dry, so the cold didn't penetrate. Our hotel was well-heated, the restaurants (when you could find one) were well-heated. <BR>Don't spend more than a half-day in Milan. It was dirty, covered in graffiti, and was of no interest except for the Last Supper, La Scala and the Duomo. The famous shopping Galleria was ho-hum; via Montenapoleone, where the designer shops are, pales next to one Neiman-Marcus store. Milan was a big letdown; I love big cities, but this place was Newark without the charm.

Kay Hull Jun 9th, 1999 04:27 PM

I've been to Venice during the end of NOvember. You will need a light weight winter coat. Just layer. It was around 40 degrees. I had a great time as it was not crowed. Experience Venice during this time of year but you really should also do the summer to see the people.

Mary Jun 9th, 1999 05:10 PM

We generally travel to Europe in the winter months and love it. (We live in Florida so this makes for a great get away and not having to deal with snow or crowds.) <BR> <BR>