Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Has anyone been to Maratea or Tropea Italy? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/has-anyone-been-to-maratea-or-tropea-italy-1646868/)

dawn2duskb Jan 18th, 2018 01:36 PM

Has anyone been to Maratea or Tropea Italy?

I will be driving from Naples to Sicily where I plan to visit with family for about 5 days.
I was considering making a stop at Maratea and/or Tropea beach thinking my young children (ages 7,8) will enjoy the caves at Matarea and the swimming at Tropea Beach
Since i have never been to either of these places, is it worth stopping at Matarea or Tropea Beach.
If its not worth seeing, i may just spend more time either in Rome, Naples area, or Sicily with Family.
Any thoughts on "must see" sights in these areas?

panecott Jan 18th, 2018 01:44 PM

FWIW, I haven't been there but I have looked into it, and almost went for a day trip from Sicily last September but I got lazy and didn't bother.

Some people say Tropea is very touristy, but I can't imagine that it's any more touristy than any other areas. The caves sound interesting and as long as you're passing through it's probably worth a visit. JMO

ekscrunchy Jan 19th, 2018 03:49 AM

Yes, spent some days in Maratea but know nothing about caves. Are you talking about Matera? Matera is a "must," while Maratea is a great hill town above beautiful beaches, in season.

whitehall Jan 20th, 2018 01:42 PM

We spent a perfect weather day in Maratea in mid-October. (We were based in Castellabate). Maratea is a “town” with nine small villages and boasts 44 churches. It is spread about and a less developed area than we expected, so it can be a little confusing. We found the area uncrowded, but some of the roads, especially from the north are very narrow and winding (but as spectacular and heart-stopping as any cliffside drive anywhere). We didn’t get to the cave(s), but we did drive to the top of Mount St. Bagio, where there is the third tallest statue of Christ in Europe (similar to the one in Rio). We also visited the historical center (Borgo) on the side of the mountain where there are a number of nice shops and restaurants. And, we opted for lunch and gelato down by the seafront in an area called Marina. A beautiful spot. Our day included a drive along the Cliento coast and included stops in two blue zone communities (where an extraordinary number of people live healthy lives to 100), and we stopped at a little waterfront museum in an old villa that showcases the Mediterranean diet. Maratea remained the highlight of the day.

Thinking of Tropea this fall. Not sure when you are going, but that has a beach that can be quite crowded in the summer.

rbciao47 Jan 21st, 2018 04:24 AM

We've been to Tropea three or four times and liked each experience. The whole area around Tropea is a very popular seaside resort. There are new condos and lots of British vacationers. Since the British pound is strong against the Euro many English have been buying these condos as a vacation home.

Tropea has a cathedral perched on top a gigantic rock jutting out into the sea. The town has the usual shops and restaurants, but we always enjoyed our time there.

Buon viaggio,

dawn2duskb Jan 25th, 2018 04:54 PM

Thanks Panecott! I am still trying to cement my itinerary :)

dawn2duskb Jan 25th, 2018 04:55 PM

Thanks Panecott! I appreciate your opinion as I try and cement down my itinerary :)

dawn2duskb Jan 25th, 2018 05:02 PM

Thanks EKscrunchy.... I am talking about "Maratea" and heard there were cool caves there. I was thinking mostly of my young boys enjoying the caves. It probably would be a "pit-stop" on my drive from Naples to "Tropea" beach. Or Should I skip Tropea Beach and enjoy the beaches at Maratea if they are worth it/better than Tropea???

Still trying to figure out how/if to schedule Maratea and Tropea.
Here's the link to the Caves:
THE CAVE OF WONDERS ? Tasty Italy

dawn2duskb Jan 25th, 2018 05:02 PM

Thanks EKscrunchy.... I am talking about "Maratea" and heard there were cool caves there. I was thinking mostly of my young boys enjoying the caves. It probably would be a "pit-stop" on my drive from Naples to "Tropea" beach. Or Should I skip Tropea Beach and enjoy the beaches at Maratea if they are worth it/better than Tropea???

Still trying to figure out how/if to schedule Maratea and Tropea.
Here's the link to the Caves:

dawn2duskb Jan 25th, 2018 05:13 PM

Thanks Whitehall for your very helpful opionion. Possilby now, I will definitely include Maratea in our stop along the cliento coast.
If I leave Naples in the morning, do you think I have time to drive from Naples all the way down to Sicily, via the cilento coast, and including a morning stop at Maratea with a late afternoon stop at Tropea Beach for swimming..... is that totally impossible or just ambitious? I am trying to figure out if I should dedicate 1 day to Maratea and 1 day to Tropea or possibly skip Tropea if the beach is too crowded and not worth visiting.

dawn2duskb Jan 25th, 2018 05:19 PM

Thanks Whitehall for your very helpful opionion. Possilby now, I will definitely include Maratea in our stop along the cliento coast.
If I leave Naples in the morning, do you think I have time to drive from Naples all the way down to Sicily, via the cilento coast, and including a morning stop at Maratea with a late afternoon stop at Tropea Beach for swimming..... is that totally impossible or just ambitious? I am trying to figure out if I should dedicate 1 day to Maratea and 1 day to Tropea or possibly skip Tropea if the beach is too crowded and not worth visiting.

dawn2duskb Jan 25th, 2018 05:23 PM

Thanks Rbciao47..... We are considering Tropea during the month of August. I was thinking of only going there for the Beach to give my boys a chance to swim for an afternoon. It seems like it has calm waters which will be safe for them since they are 6 and 8 years old. Since you have been there a few times, do you think that it will be too crowded to enjoy the beach? If so, I may just skip Tropea since the Beach was the only area of interest regarding Tropea.

dawn2duskb Jan 25th, 2018 05:30 PM

Thanks giovannibenvenuto. I will ask you the same question i asked someone else.... do you think I can accomplish a drive from Naples down to Messina Sicily (via the Cilento Coast) and include a morning/afternoon trip to Maratea (visiting the town casually) then driving down to Tropea and arrive for a late afternoon Swim at the Tropea Beach? I am not sure if I should book a hotel either at Maratea or Tropea, or if I should not book a hotel and just do brief visits in each town and end up in Sicliy by the evening (i'm a bit overwhelmed in trying to play my Naples to Messina drive :/)

This is what wanted me to include Maratea in my trip.... The Cave of Wonders (i read it will only take a short 15 minute visit in the caves, but will be worth it)

rbciao47 Jan 26th, 2018 02:31 AM

The beach will be crowded in August, but go if you have the chance. You can purchase parking tickets from some of the businesses. They look like rub off lottery tickets and the cost depends on how long you plan to stay.

Go and have fun.

Buon viaggio,

ekscrunchy Jan 27th, 2018 09:19 AM

Amantea has a decent beach and would make a good overnight stop. Very lovely old town on the hill and many hotels along the coastal road. Much of the Calabrian coast in that stretch is pretty wrecked by development, but there are some pretty places. Do you plan to stop for unch and if so, do you care where you eat? I mean are you looking for a really good place to eat?

In Maratea, I would not think you'd have much time to see the upper town, with parking and all, and make the drive a pleasant one. I took about a week for the drive from Lamezia Terme to Cilento, with stops en route (Amantea, Pisciotta, etc etc) and then on to Cetara for lunch, ending in Ravello on the day we left Castellabate. Keep in mind possible traffic tie ups in high season.