Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Has anyone been to Logarska Dolina in Slovenia? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/has-anyone-been-to-logarska-dolina-in-slovenia-622832/)

txeagle Jun 12th, 2006 08:47 AM

Has anyone been to Logarska Dolina in Slovenia?

We are deciding whether to include Logarska Dolina or not on our itinery for a upcoming Aug/Sept trip. I only have about 3 days to devote to Slovenia for will be our second trip to this country. This excursion is a part of a multi-country driving trip for a family of 4.

Previously we have seen Ljub. and Bled and Bohinj, the Skojan cave and Pros. castle, and Soca river valley.

For this trip, I was thinking of spending the time in Bled/Bohinj since I loved it so much the first time. The other option is to go to Logarska Dolina for 2 days and hit Bled in a day.

I would love to hear opinions from someone who has been to both places. Thanks!

leoska Oct 13th, 2006 03:07 PM

Dear txeagle;
I have the same question you had. I,however. have never been to Slovenia. I want to take in both the Julian Alps and logarska dolina. Did you go mto the latter and was it worth it. I'm 85 and don't climb. I walk slowly. Did you go over the Solvenia-Austria passes above logarska dolina.
With a week to see Slovenia should we do both. My daughter wants to se the caves and the horses. Piran? We plan to stay at Trenta if a Tourist Farm will take people for two or three mights. Any advice on Tourist Farms? Any suggestions at all?
Bill--- [email protected] San Diego

linawood Oct 16th, 2006 12:54 PM

I'm afraid I haven't been both places but I am very interested to hear from someone who has been to Logarska Dolina. We've been to Bled and Bohinj and want to explore Slovenia further. We love the mountains and have spent a lot of time in the Dolomites. I'm a walker rather than a hiker. The website www.logarska-dolina.si is excellent and I particularly like the panorama view and links to lodgings and places to eat. The drawback for us is the lack of public transportation but we might be tempted to rent a car in a quiet area. What tempts us are the beautiful mountains and the culture. I'd love to hear from someone who has stayed there and where, and how you spent you time. Thanks.

SloJan Oct 21st, 2006 11:35 PM

Logarska Dolina is beautiful and yes, you need a car. There is a hotel there that is a 4 star but also has a penzion as part of the property. The hotel is Hotel Plesnik and I recommend it highly. Depending on the time of year that you are there, there are different things to do, from ice hiking to mountain biking.

Logarska Dolina is very different from Bled. It is much more untamed and a bit out of the way. I would compare it to the Soca River Valley.

leoska, Logarska Dolina is worth it and you can walk there without climbing. It is a beautiful, peaceful place. A place to recharge your batteries. But if I had to choose between the Soca River Valley and Logarska D., I would choose Soca. The restaurants are better, the walking can be very interesting with all of the WW1 history and it is more accessible to the Goriska Brda and the coast.

In the Soca, there is a tourist farm called Pristava Lepena that is excellent. There is also a nice litte hotel/restaurant called Hisa Franko that is excellent.

Cheers,
Jan in Ljubljana