Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Has anyone been to Les Egouts de Paris (the sewers)?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read that it is self guided now. Is this true and what did you think of it?
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 01:40 PM

My husband and daughter went last trip and thought it was great. He's an engineer so it was probably more appealing. Our daughter said she learned a lot. Sorry, no personal experience....I shopped when they toured.
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 01:44 PM

Forgot to mention, they went without a guide.
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 02:01 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I liked it when I went -- very straightforward and informative.
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 02:20 PM

Is it really self-guided now? I only went a long time ago and loved it but what I remember most about it was the pride of the sewer worker who was guiding us around and how he said it was a job handed down from father to son. I can only imagine it wouldn't be the same without a worker telling you about his job but I guess I'll have to visit again to compare the two types of visits.
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 03:39 PM

To repeat my post from last May:
"For industrial-age technology, try Les Egouts de Paris, the Paris sewer museum. Entrance to the sewer (no, you can't just follow your nose) is adjacent to Pont de l'Alma, across from 93 quai d'Orsay in the 7th. It's a Paris municipal museum but www.Paris.fr isn't much help. Oddly, the display and the sewer are closed Thursday and Friday while open the other five days of the week. Sometimes sewer workers provide a guided tour but I couldn't find a schedule and you can navigate by yourself.
For a nice appreciation and photos, try this blog (from 2010):
http://museumchick.com/2010/05/sewer...ts-museum.html "
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 03:47 PM

The first time I went there was a guide but for any language other than French you used an audio.

The last time I went it was entirely self paced and had lots of pictorial signage that was interesting.

Jean Val Jean inspired me to go - it was one of the first things I wanted to see in Paris.

It's a worth while sight.
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 06:59 PM

I went while there was a workers' action that closed many other sights in Paris. It was an alternative that I could walk to, and was on my pass, so I went.
I enjoyed it a lot. Many other reviewers have not. The signs throughout tell the story of how the system was developed and how it functions to keep the city running. That sort of 'underground' story of a city is interesting to me.
Upon entering, the smell is very strong, but as you get involved in the details, you get used to it. I found it quite interesting. I did not have any sort of guide, but the signage tells the story very well.
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 07:10 PM

gomiki, an interesting alternative that most people don't seem to know is the Crypte Archeologique, next to Notre Dame. It is fascinating, containing the ruins of the first Roman settlement. You can actually tell what function a lot of the rooms served.

In answer to your question on another thread, to find the calendar of auctions at Drouot, room by room, go to www.drouot.com and click on "Drouot Auctions," then "Upcoming Auctions at Drouot." The site is available in French and English.

Bon voyage, and sorry I won't be there this time,
Jane
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 10:41 PM

I went along time ago and could probably think of 100 or so other things to do in Paris before hitting the sewers. I suppose if you were an engineer and truly interested in that sort of thing it might be worthwhile.

For anyone else, let's face it, you are visiting one of the most beautiful, glorious cities in the world. Why would you possibly want to climb in a hole and watch the detritus float on by ?

- Kevin
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 10:54 PM

Because...

It Stinks Therefore I Am

Yes, it is an interesting and off-beat place to visit.

dave
Old Feb 24th, 2012, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the input. It's very helpful.

toupary6, thank you for the info. And yes, too bad we won't see you.
Old Feb 24th, 2012, 05:46 AM

I've been twice. Both times self guided (first time there was a guide of sorts, but only spoke French). While I'm drawn to the quirky, it isn't that great of an exhibit IMHO. However, if memory serves it was on the musee pass. Also, it is an easy walk from the Eiffel.
Old Feb 24th, 2012, 07:15 AM

Yes, now self guided, easy to navigate with signage in French and English (can't recall if also other languages) pretty well done. Rather a departure from the fluffy fashionista meme so often associated with Paris, more about rivets than ruffles and offers a nice overview of the underpinnings and operation of a system invisible to most but absolutely fundamental to the functioning of the city. May not be enough technical detail to deeply engage the engineer in the group but enough to be interesting to a general audience.
Old Feb 24th, 2012, 07:47 AM

Yeh went twice but not recently - the smell was not nearly what I expected - no stench at all really.

Interesting experience but I would rank it very low for someone who has not seen Paris' many major sights. But it is close to Eiffel Tower so... apparently cancelled in times of heavy rain.
Old Feb 24th, 2012, 12:18 PM

We were at the Louvre tonight and the sewer smell in the Sully wing was really strong (seriously on this one), maybe the Louvre is promoting the Sewer Museum (kidding on this one)

dave