Urgent next five days need relaxation currently in Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2012, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have April 27th - may 6th open in Italy. Currently we are in Rome tomorrow our hotel reservation ends. On may sixth we will have a plane leaving from Naples to Granada. On may 16th (possibly earlier) we return to Los Angeles.

Previously starting April 1st we've traveled basque country, Paris, Venice, bologna, Florence, and Rome.

Exhausted and dealing with a tight budget absolutely max 90 dollar night budget preferably 60-80 dollar a night, we are about to give up on the amalfi coast.

What is the most relaxing and affordable beach/town/village/area you can recommend? We are a young couple in our twenties. Also I'm very sick of touristy places and would really like to escape them. I could care less about sights/churches/monuments scenic landscape is most preferable. Gardens. It would be nice to find somewhere that could feel like a home.

Sorry for the depressing tone I'm just feeling very homesick from traveling and every sight is beginning to look the same. This was supposed to be a romantic trip for us both but it has become very difficult.
Thank you for your help.
Old Apr 26th, 2012, 02:20 PM

Go to Sperlonga or Gaeta and hang out by the ocean.
Old Apr 26th, 2012, 02:56 PM

I think StCirq may have you pointed in the right direct.

It sounds like you've OD'd on cities.

Spoleto might be a nice change for you. It's a direct 1.5 hour train ride away from Rome. You could do some nice hikes from town, hang out, eat well and visit other small towns along the train line or take a bus to Norcia for the day. The countryside is lovely and very green; flowers should be blooming. You should be able to find a hotel or apt in your price range in Spoleto.
Old Apr 26th, 2012, 03:17 PM

Since their plane is leaving from Naples, Spoleto is the wrong way. I suspect keeping it as simple as possible would be best for the OP. Sperlonga is an hour from Rome by train, and Naples is another 1.5 hours from Sperlonga.
Old Apr 26th, 2012, 03:58 PM

Don't give up on the Amalfi coast it is beautiful down there. Stay away from Naples except as a transit point. Instead try towns like Positano, Minori or Maiori. You can do day trips to see other towns or just chill out by the water. BTW the other recommendations made for Sperlonga or Gaeta are good too and probably easier to get to from Rome. I know how you feel- loved Italy but did feel burnt out after 3 weeks of sightseeing. You need a vacay from your vacation. Good luck
Old Apr 26th, 2012, 04:34 PM

I agree with rislander. We were in Amalfi this past October and stayed at a great hotel, the Hotel Floridiana, Via Brancia 1, 84011. Admittedly, I don't remember the room rate, but it was well-located and the staff was absolutely fabulous. Helpful and the location was right in town, but Amalfi is a small town so nothing is too far away.
Old Apr 26th, 2012, 04:39 PM

Hi

Sounds like you're burnt out from cramming too much in. Clearly you've had enough of the tourist thing. Spend the rest of your trip chillaxing! Hang in there, things will improve once you slow down. Make it clear to your travel partner that you really need to ease up.

Near Naples is the island of Ischia. It's an hour and twenty ferry ride. To save costs book an apartment. It might be a little more than your budget but you'll have cooking facilities to save money (and give you some respite from tourist throngs in restaurants). Try http://www.larotondasulmare.com. Or a hostel but I don't see this option as very restful. Try the Ring Hostel - http://www.ringhostel.com.

In Granada look at staying in the Albaicin area. Picturesque and restful.

Good luck
Old Apr 29th, 2012, 04:21 AM
Original Poster

Hi guys I made a stupid last minute decision to go to la maddalena (a small island in Sardinia) we have no transportation. It is raining. We can either stay here until the second of may or leave today.

I would like tto leave today and go to sperlonga. Do you know of a train from civitavecchia to sperlonga ? We will probably go on an overnight boat tonight and arrive in civitavecchia in the morning.

Another option is overnight to naples with a stay in naples/sorrento/amalfi. Or to civitavecchia overnight then a train to any of the above cities.

We have had a terrible run of bad luck and are just looking for some sun on the beach.

We have until May6th when we will leave Naples in the morning for Spain.

Also we need wifi tomorrow night at 20:00 pm because my fiancee has a Skype interview to medical school. Ahhh thank you fodorites for your patience and help

S&B
Old Apr 29th, 2012, 07:01 AM

I think you're going to need to take a train from Civitavecchia to Rome and then Rome to Sperlonga. Check on the Trenitalia website.

With your budget, I wouldn't think the Amalfi coast would be do-able.
Old Apr 29th, 2012, 07:10 AM

if you want sun, perhaps take a good look at a weather channel map before going anywhere.
Old Apr 29th, 2012, 02:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
There is no train service to Sperlonga that I'm aware of. The closest station is Fondi-Sperlonga. Look for bus service from the Fondi-Sperlonga station or take a cab (7+ miles). I wouldn't go there before securing lodging in your budget range.

I would look for lodging in Salerno (I assume you have access to the internet) and use it as a base for visiting a bit of the Amalfi Coast and Capri by bus and ferry. Look at the Plaza Hotel (near the train station), but there are others in your price range. Sunny days predicted for the next 10 days.

http://www.plazasalerno.it/
Old Apr 29th, 2012, 02:39 PM

I should have mentioned that you get off at Fondi-Sperlonga. The buses are timed pretty well to come soon after the train stops.
Old Apr 29th, 2012, 04:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Just FYI, to get from Sperlonga to the Naples airport would take 2.5-3 hours. From Salerno 1-2 hours. What time is your flight? Or would you spend the previous night in/near Naples?
Old Apr 29th, 2012, 08:15 PM

Hope you checked the responses on your other thread also requesting help with Amalfi Coast.
Old May 4th, 2012, 02:42 AM
Original Poster

Are in positano and it's been fascinating and relaxing. Thank you all do much for your support and wonderful feedback

Susan