Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Has anyone been to both Hawaii and Ireland? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/has-anyone-been-to-both-hawaii-and-ireland-125998/)

Undecided May 24th, 2001 12:58 PM

Has anyone been to both Hawaii and Ireland?

I am trying to decide where to go in early September. The choice is between Hawaii and Ireland. I understand these two trips would be very different. I have never been to either. Friends have told me there is much to do in Hawaii other than lay in the sun. I can only lay on a beach or by a pool for a few days, then I become bored. In Ireland, I am prepared for not much sun. I do understand that the people and countryside in Ireland are fabulous. I am reading great things about Dublin. The problems Ireland is having with their livestock is a concern. Cost of either trip is really not an issue. What are your thoughts? It would be great to hear from someone who has experieinced both trips. Thanks for your help.

Mitch May 24th, 2001 01:03 PM

I have been to both.., and you are at the opposite ends of the rainbow on this one! <BR> <BR>You really need to decide what you want. I loved both trips each for different reasons. <BR> <BR>There is much more to do in Hawaii than sit on the beach or by the pool..., we drove all over the place and whenever we saw an interesting trail we pulled over and took it.., most led to beautiful waterfalls. (Not too many of those in Ireland that I saw) <BR> <BR>Ireland on the other hand is beautiful too. <BR> <BR>Good Luck deciding.., and let us know!

Paul May 24th, 2001 01:18 PM

Once, while I was driving on the coastal road on the Inishowen Pennisula in County Donegal (the most northern part of Ireland), I said to my wife that if it was just a little warmer, this looks so much like Hawaii! <BR> <BR>The thing about Ireland is that if you do get sunshine and reasonably warm weather, there's no place on earth that can compare. Of course, it's a toss up whether you'll get that weather. I would vote for Ireland, unless you really want the vacation in the sun kind of thing.

Jane May 24th, 2001 01:36 PM

I have been to both places, and I have to agree with Mitch. They couldn't be more different. My husband and I went to Hawaii on our 25th anniversary, so Hawaii holds some special memories for us. We spent 3 days in Honolulu on Waikiki Beach at the Sheraton Muana Surfrider. We took a trip to Pearl Harbor one afternoon, and I have to say, it was a day I will never forget. Then we spent a week in Maui. We rented a Jeep for the week and drove to the top of Haleakala (an inactive volcano)at 4 am to see the sunrise, went to a luau, drove to Hana (by far the most memorable day, saw a local comedian in our hotel, sat on the beach and watched the sun set, walked, swam, laughed and felt like kids. I love Hawaii, I can't wait to go back! I want to see all of the Islands someday. <BR> <BR>This April we took our 11 year old daughter to Ireland and London. We only had a week, so we saw very little of Ireland. We rented a car and drove from Cork to Kilbrittain and stayed in Kilbrittain Castle. Then through Timoleague, shopped in Kenmare, and spent the night in Killarney. We saw Ross Castle in the morning and left for Dingle. We drove out to Slea Head and saw what had to be some of the most beautiful land in the world. The next day we went to Blarney Castle. We spent as much time as we could talking to the people of Ireland. They are what makes it so charming. I've never met a more welcoming people. I'm planning another trip to Ireland with a friend. We will stay much longer, and take our time getting to know these engaging people. <BR> <BR>I could never chose between the two. I truly don't think you would be bored in either place! <BR>

Thyra May 24th, 2001 01:47 PM

I have been to both as well. Question for you. What moves you? These are what I consider to be the greatest things about each place (I actually prefer Ireland) <BR>Hawaii: Exotic local, big American style all inclusive resorts, dramatic hiking, laying on beaches, tanning, tropical drinks with lots of pineapple and coconut, native culture that is different, colorful and fun. Water everywhere, humid temperatures and green lush tropical ecosystems with vibrant birds and colorful dress. <BR>Ireland: <BR>History tons of it, amazing beer, friendly people, miles of rolling green hills, overcast, rain or mist nearly all the time, did I mention history, castles, rivers and ancient mythology, celtic culture, jazz festival in Cork, shopping in Dublin, Dublin Castle.. Guinness in Dublin, Beamish in Cork... Belfast Giants dance,,, friendly people, more edgy current events but lovely, small villages, miles of low riding walls made of grey stone, shaggy poneys, dirty sheep, ring of Kerry, rainbows... did I mention history?

michelle May 24th, 2001 01:54 PM

My husband has been to both Ireland and Hawaii. When I posed this question to him, he answered "Hawaii" without skipping a beat. <BR> <BR>I used to live in Hawaii and can tell you that there is so much more to do than bake on the beach. Every island has something different to experience. If you would like to sail off one of the world's most beautiful coastlines, hike in a bamboo forest, witness a sunrise from a volcanic crater, snorkle in crystal-clear waters, navigate the gorgeous road to Hana (and beyond), learn about a remarkable culture, eat at Roy's, swim beneath a waterfall and go to the beach then you should visit Hawaii. <BR> <BR>Having said that, I want to visit Ireland someday too. But I'm already planning my next vacation in Hawaii. I think you just have to decide where to go this year! <BR> <BR>_

ALW May 24th, 2001 02:16 PM

I agree with all above who stated that it all depends on what you're looking for/forward to. But as you asked for opinions, Ireland, without a doubt. Personally (and please don't take this as an attack, Hawai'ians), I found Hawai'i just a bit too "party" -- and with too TOO many mosquitoes.

Judy May 24th, 2001 03:01 PM

Hi Undecided, I will let you know when I get back from Ireland in August. I absolutely LOVE Hawaii. Hawaii has volcanoes, waterfalls, canyons, abundant fish and wildlife. IMHO, it would be like comparing apples and oranges. <BR>There are very few places that I would not like however, I am very easy to please. I would love to travel anywhere! I have a huge list of places to see. <BR>I imagine it would depend on what you feel best suits you, and your interests. <BR>Have a great time whatever you do! Judy :-)

Capo May 24th, 2001 03:06 PM

Like Thyra said, it depends on what moves you. While I'm sure many people do go to Hawaii simply to bask in the sun, there's certainly a lot more to Hawaii than that. <BR> <BR>I've been to both places, and like both places, but if I was to choose to go back to one of them -- especially in September -- I'd pick Ireland in a Celtic heartbeart.

cindy May 24th, 2001 03:27 PM

I've been to both, and loved them both. One aspect of Hawaii that hasn't been mentioned here yet (and I don't mean to suggest that it's lacking in Ireland, far from it) is that it's an intensely spiritual place if you know where to look. On the Big Island, the area called Place of Refuge has an astonishing quality to it - even normally loud-voiced tourists were speaking in hushed tones and clearly felt the impact of the place. I spent 2 weeks on the Big Island, of which maybe a couple of hours consisted of lying on a beach. And there are other islands I haven't been to that must have similar things to offer. I would find this a very difficult choice, though. Have a wonderful time, whichever you choose.

Sue May 24th, 2001 06:20 PM

Hi....We've also been to both places. And just to add to your confusion, we'd pick Hawaii hands down. Ireland was wonderful, interesting, friendliest people on earth. But Hawaii was paradise. We stayed on the big island just a couple of days to see Pearl Harbor and climb Diamond Head, then took off for a week on Maui and another on Kauai.

Melissa May 24th, 2001 11:55 PM

OH! Sue, I need to correct you so that others are not confused. Diamond Head and Pearl Harbor are on Oahu. The Big Island is Hawaii, which is a different island (and the biggest of the island chain). <BR> <BR>That being said---yes, every island has a different flavor and has a number of things to do and see. Undecided, you don't say where you are from, so it's hard to make a recommendation....if you live in Florida, I'd say go to Ireland. If you live somewhere with a colder climate, like Minnesota, you might like a change of pace like Hawaii.

Patti Suttle May 25th, 2001 12:00 AM

Ireland, Ireland, Ireland!!! I loved Hawaii too-in fact, my husband proposed to me in Hawaii-so it holds that special memory-and would love to go back for that reason. But, Ireland is magical for me. Can't really explain it-I''be been going there since 1970. And, its a foreign country-so you get that experience as well-different sayings, different customs (though Hawaii has those too), animals everywhere (I love animals!!), and great music-everywhere! <BR>Do let us know what you decide and how it went! <BR>Patti <BR> <BR>

Sylvia May 25th, 2001 10:36 AM

Oh, Hawaii, beaches, sand, sun, you can get that anywhere. Flowers are nice, great waterfalls on some islands, but be ready for rude people: native Hawaiians are really tired of tourists, transplanted Hawaiians are of the "I've got mine, go away" attitude, snorkeling is better in many other places. <BR> <BR>Ireland: no place like it on earth!! VERY friendly people, unbeatable scenery, lots of geographical variety, even sun and sandy beaches!! I got sunburned in Ireland, so don't believe that it rains all the time - untrue!! In the coastal towns the seafood is outstanding. <BR> <BR>Good luck deciding, votes are very divided!!

Melinda May 25th, 2001 10:40 AM

I'd take Ireland any day. Hawaii is boring by comparison. I've been lots of places in Europe, Middle East, Asia, Central America and Hawaii. Hawaii is at the bottom of my list.

Capo May 25th, 2001 10:44 AM

Hawaii has pineapple juice. Ireland has Guinness. <BR> <BR>Your decision should be easy. :~)

Simon May 25th, 2001 11:11 AM

Waikiki has gays, Ireland has guys. Take your pick.

John May 25th, 2001 11:52 AM

To undecided: <BR>Which do you prefer, an apple or an orange? <BR>John

Ihave May 25th, 2001 11:53 AM

"Has anyone been to both Hawaii and Ireland?" <BR> <BR>Yes, someone has. <BR> <BR>

Cathy May 25th, 2001 11:55 AM

Undecided <BR> <BR>I am Irish so I am biased but re the weather in Ireland we are just after having 2 weeks of lovely hot and sunny weather and there is no way Hawaii could beat Ireland on a glorious sunny afternoon. RE the livestock problems I persume you are referring to Foot and Mouth - there is no problems or outbreaks in Ireland just in the UK and everything is open for business in Ireland again after the Irish government took precautions when F&M first broke out in the UK and closed some places. But now all is open again and there are some great bargains to be got due to the F&M crisis and the fact the British are not travelling. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps, <BR> <BR>Cathy