Has anyone been to Azores?

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 09:18 AM
maddy

Has anyone been to Azores?

I'm starting the planning for a trip to Portugal later this year (probably mid-Sept). Right now I'm thinking of going to Lisbon and Northern Portugal and I'd like to include a few nights in the Azores. One of my grandfathers came from Sao Miguel to Rhode Island as a teenager and I've always heard that they are unique and beautiful islands.

As I've started my research, I'm finding that info on the Azores is somewhat limited...especially practical info such as the best way to get there, hotel and car rental info etc. I think I remember reading somewhere that there are high season flights from Boston that go direct to the Azores, but of course, now I can't remember where I saw that. The guidebooks (the few that actually cover the Azores, many Portugal guidebooks don't) say that all trips to the Azores go through Lisbon.

Anyone out there who's been to the Azores that can offer advice or recommendations? Even a good guidebook recommendation for the Azores islands would be very helpful. Most just don't seem to cover them in enough detail...

Thanks
Maddy

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 10:11 AM
Kay

Maddy, I haven't been, but my friends in Italy just returned from a trip to the Azores and highly recommended it. They suggested I stop there a few days on my way to Europe. Try National Geographic.

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 10:12 AM
Kay

My friends mentioned to me that you can fly in from Boston. You are correct.

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 10:58 AM
pat

Maddy: I have many friends who've been to the Azores, but mostly on the island of Terceira because they're military and that's where the airbase is. Most like it very much..very ususual landscape and lots of flowers. Apparently you can get bad storms and high winds in the winter and spring, though. Anyway, here is the name of a guidebook one of them loaned me. "Landscapes of the Azores: A Countryside Guide to the Nine Islands" by Stieglitz, published by Sunflower Guide Books. Ask your local bookstore to get it for you.

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 01:08 PM
Maddy

Thanks very much for your responses. I will definitely check out National Geographic and I just did a web search and found Sunflower's web site. Kay thanks for confirming the direct flights from Boston. That certainly make the logistics easier than passing the islands on the way to Lisbon and having to double back.

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 03:49 PM
Kay

I know this sounds weird, but I collect cycling tour books because they often have great small villages and charming hotels on their itinerary (I can't ride a bike.) Easy Rider 2001 has an Azores trip to Sao Miguel Island. Check out easytridertours.com & maybe they have one again this year to give you some great ideas. Please be sure and post a report when you get back. My friends visited Sao Miguel and loved it.

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 04:05 PM
Pedro

I have been to Sao Miguel island for one week and and additional couple of days in Terceira island. I highly reccommend to visit this archipelago. Sao Miguel is truly a jewel of nature and Terceira Island is rougher and not so developped but also appealing, specially its two main cities, Praia da Vitoria and Angra do Heroismo. We stayed at Barracuda apartments in Sao Roque, quite basic but well situated just 6 kms away from Ponta Delgada on the black sandy beach. When in the Azores we missed to have gone to Faial/Pico for its exceptional beauty too ( we heard the landscapes with the volcano as background are stunning ). But Sao Miguel Island have three different lakes absolutely worthwile: The area of Caldeira das Sete Cidades, The Lagoa do Fogo (our favorite) and Lagoa das Furnas ( beautiful botanic gardens and tasty "cozido" which consists of stuffed beans with meat, cooked into the ground, wonderful road to Salto de Cavalo. ) Anyway, I am an absolute lover of Azores Islands and plan to come back in the future. This link may be of your interest:

http://www.drtacores.pt/

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 08:51 PM
azoreanhelp

Hi Maddy!
There's only one way to do the Azores directly (Boston/S.Miguel)that's with SATA International(Azores Express).Telf# (508)6770555.At this time of the year timetables are changing,shoulder season is coming,anyhow just check their site to have an idea,and DO call their office in Fall River to get"real"answers.
Regarding your hotel there's a great deal of choices,IMHO,in Ponta Delgada i'd go for The "Acores Atlantico"(ask for a room facing the marina).Again,if i had some more info it would be easier to help you.
The car rental,i think you'd better try to negotiate a rate with Avis,Hertz, whatever you feel confident with, in the US and have the papers prompt to show at the Azorean rep.
I'll leave you with this site to explore:http://www.virtualazores.com/jorn/ei...tunately,needs some updating.Although it's the best i've seen so far.)
Glad if i helped,if you need any more info feel free to email me at:[email protected]