Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Has anyone been to Aachen and/or Cologne?

Apr 19th, 1999, 11:46 AM
Ben

Are these cities worth a visit (if only for their cathedrals)? Thank you.

Apr 19th, 1999, 12:15 PM
jim

Cologne has the highest concentration of pubs of any German city I have been in. It also has a number of beautiful romanesque cathedrals to go with its famous Gothic cathedral. It also has a very cosmopolitan feeling in the shopping malls around the Dom cathedral that comes as close to the Champs-Elysees as any German city I have visited.

I would visit Aachen for a quick stop to visit its cathedral or maybe to sample the hot springs. Aachen was Charlemagne's home and has historical value for this if nothing else.

The Thalys high-speed train runs from Cologne to Paris via Brussels and Aachen several times a day (it might make Aachen a worthwhile visit between Cologne and another destination).

Apr 19th, 1999, 04:15 PM
Jeanie

I studied abroad in a small town between Aachen and Cologne many years ago. I really liked both cities. Aachen was one of the homes of Charlemagne and there is a beautiful catherdral there where he is supposedly buried (my memories are fading though!). Cologne is a very cosmopolitan city. There are plenty of winding streets to wander down though. The Kolner Dom is good stuff, you stumble across it the second you get out of the train station. if you are adventurous climb up the spires (there are really long winding staircases) for a great view of the Rhine and the whole city.

Apr 19th, 1999, 06:31 PM
Geoff

I visited both while my cousin was living in Moenchengladbach. I didn't think there was that much to do in Aachen although the cathedral is nice. In terms of Koeln, the Dom is definitely impressive and wondering down to the cafes along the banks of the Rhine is a nice time. But if you were thinking of cosmpolitan and a million pubs, you've got it confused with Dusseldorf which
is not at all far. (and you might visit)

I prefered Bonn which is smaller and easier going than either German city. And I prefered Maastricht and the open market to Aachen.

Apr 19th, 1999, 06:39 PM
Joe

I was in Liege in '97 and made a special trip to Aachen to see the cathedral treasury, and it was worth it. As several people have mentioned the town was Charlemagne's capital, and the cathedral was extraordinarily rich. It includes his throne and a wide variety of extraordinary early gothic reliquaries and other church art.

Apr 19th, 1999, 08:55 PM
Joanna

Koln is very worthwhile for several days sightseeing with its fabulous Dom (cathedral), other historic churches (esp. St. Ursula's with its Schatzkammer - full of skulls - quite eerie), museums and Aachen is a good day trip from there. It's only 1/2 hour or so by train. I would also highly recommend the small cathedral there with its treasury and the Rathaus. The old streets are a joy to wander.

Apr 19th, 1999, 09:12 PM
nickie

There are also all kinds of museums in Cologne. Don't know what you're interested in, but there are very good art museums, a roman museum, even a chocolate museum and a Beatles museum!IMO the Dom is a great work of architecture - but only you know if it's worth it to you.

Apr 20th, 1999, 09:03 PM
Leslie

I found the small cathedral at Achen historically and architecturally very unique, but it dosen't take long to visit. Cologne's cathedral is beautiful and they had a nice, small art museum nearby. The Dom hotel had a good weekend rate and their buffet breakfast was wonderful. The breakfast room had a fantastic view of the cathedral.

Apr 21st, 1999, 07:17 PM
Glenn

Ben, I have been to both, they are two different cities. AAchen is a small city with a historic center. Koln is a large city with the Dom the centerpiece.
I an a fan of Aachen, even though it may be only worth a days visit. The town hall and the church are very interesting and the jewels are a great visit. If you go to Aachen, make sure you get some Aachener prenten. Cookies made only in the area. There are many bakeries off the main square that will sell you a tin of them. Koln, has the huge church and the Roman musuem right around the corner. I did not get much time to explore Koln, but the church is very impressive.

Apr 22nd, 1999, 03:17 PM
Bob

Though a couple people have mentioned the museum of Roman ruins right next to the Cathedral in Köln, it is a must-see if you are at all interested in history, Rome, etc. It has some absolutely incredibly mosaics and is very well laid out.