Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Has anyone attended a concert at Doria Pamphilj in Rome?

Oct 25th, 2005, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

There is a concert on Saturday November 12 at the Doria Pamphilj which I found through www.doriapamphilj.it. The English translation does not give specifics and the Italian site says November 12th but not a time. Has anyone attended a concert here? I think the tickets are available beginning at 19:30 the day of the concert. Any additional information would be appreciated. I went to www.whatsoninrome.com and the concert wasn't even mentioned. Thanks, Deborah
Oct 25th, 2005, 08:54 AM

I don't know the concert series, but I visited the house/museum, and it is beautiful. Quite easy to walk to from Pantheon area.
Oct 25th, 2005, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

thanks, Elaine, we intend to visit the musuem but then I noticed they also are having a concert while we are in Rome so was wondering about tickets, where the concert is held, is the museum open to concert goers after or before, that type of information. Deborah
Oct 25th, 2005, 09:43 AM

This should tell you everything you want to know:

http://www.doriapamphilj.it/ukmusica.asp
Oct 25th, 2005, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Eloise, thank you, I had read that and then when I went to the Italian translation which is where the information about the concert was found it appears to me that the concert is 12 euros not 13 and it doesn't say what time it starts. The cost is not of concern just the accuracy of the information provided.

I have just a rudimentary understanding of Italian at this point and I am curious what they mean when they translate that the musuem is open to concert patrons during the interval between concerts; should I be thinking intermission because there is only one concert that day? I can't imagine an intermission being long enough to see much of the musuem if that is the case. Thanks for any help, Deborah
Oct 25th, 2005, 10:20 AM

Sorry, I just realized that you went to the Web site of the Galleria Doria Pamphilj.

The information on the English concert pages has not been updated.

The series of concerts starting in October, given on Saturdays at noon, is a special series offered on the occasion of the 350th anniversary of the death of the Pamphilj pope, Innocent X.

On the concert day, you can visit the gallery and the state rooms during the regular hours (10:00-17:00).

The concerts are given in the Sala del Trono, which is opened for the occasion.

The Italian concerts page gives a fax number (which I THINK is also a telephone number) - 06.77072842 - for information and reservations.

There are also other telephone and fax numbers as well as an e-mail address on the contacts page:

Telefono +39 06 6797323
Fax +39 06 6780939
E-mail [email protected]

They do not include the other number, but I'm fairly confident that you could get information about the concerts at these numbers as well.

Incidentally, the current Doria Pamphilj is half English, half Italian. His audioguide is not only informative but also quite witty and spoken with an impeccable British accent, and it's free! As is the list of works in the gallery that you can ask for when you buy your ticket. Of course, both have to be returned when you leave.
Oct 25th, 2005, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Eloise, how thoughtful you are to provide just the information I need. I have used several of your suggestions and elaine's from past threads for planning this trip to Italy.

I had intended to visit the Doria Pamphilj during our stay in Rome and the concert just seems like a wonderful way to end our week. Thanks for the help. Deborah
Oct 28th, 2005, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

Eloise, I just wanted to thank you again for the information you provided regarding the concert at the Doria Pamphilj.

Because there was conflicting information between the English website and Italian version, I didn't even have the correct time of the concert.

Our B&B has reserved tickets for the 12:00 concert on Saturday the 12th. The Gallerie looks stunning. What a beautiful setting for a concert. Thanks again for your help, Deborah
Oct 28th, 2005, 07:02 PM

You're very welcome, Deborah!

And I have to admit that I am envious: I've not seen the Sala del Trono, which is opened for the concerts.
Oct 29th, 2005, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Eloise, If my husband gives me too much grief about attending a daytime concert (and missing out on who knows what outside) I will tell him that I know of someone who would really like to be at it and he should count his blessings Ron is a great travelling partner but classical music doesn't quite grab his interest. Thanks again. Deborah
Oct 29th, 2005, 09:20 AM

Well, some people like classical music and some don't.

For what it's worth, I think the concert will probably last only about an hour, which ought to be bearable even for a non-classical-music-lover.

But if your husband really can't stand it, I'm told by a friend who lives in Rome that the Caffe Doria at ground level on the left side of the palazzo if you are facing it on Via del Plebiscito is quite pleasant but it doesn't have an outside terrace. Just make sure that he can get back in if you have not visited the state rooms and gallery before the concert.

Or, if you've already done the visit, arrange to meet him in Piazza Sant'Ignazio, which is one of the prettiest piazze in Rome. The Cave di Sant'Ignazio restaurant is a bit overpriced for what it offers, but the setting is lovely and he should be able to get a glass of white wine for very little. You can then go in and admire the trompe-l'oeil ceiling in the church, if it's open.

I'm hoping for you that you will still be able to sit outside in November...
Oct 29th, 2005, 09:37 AM

Speaking of music in Rome, could someone please explain something to me?

I've been looking at the Accademia d'Opera Italiana site. It lists a performance of La Traviata at the time we will be in Rome in January. It says "in three acts", but LT has four acts. Do any of you know what that means?
Oct 29th, 2005, 09:48 AM

Is this the Web page you were looking at?

http://www.romeguide.it/accademiaoperaitaliana.htm

It says three acts for "Tosca" but does not give the number of acts in "La Traviata."

And as far as that goes, a Stanford University Web site says that "La Traviata" has three acts.
Oct 29th, 2005, 09:57 AM

I see what you mean on the Stanford site. I've always thought it was 4...perhaps due to the two scenes in Act II.

Thanks. I think we'll be there!
Oct 29th, 2005, 10:01 AM

BTW, the sites I'm looking at are
http://www.whatsoninrome.com/Opera.php
and
http://www.accademiadoperaitaliana.it/
although this one doesn't go all the way to January.