Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Has anybody taken the ferry from New Ross to Cherbourg or Le Havre?

Dec 29th, 2006, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

My family is planning a trip to Europe and will begin by arriving in Ireland. After a few days, we are going to move onto France.

Though I know there is plenty to do in England, we would much rather get to the Mainland and travel France, Germany, and Italy.

I was thinking about using the Ferry service from New Ross to Cherbourg, France.

Has anyone taken a ferry from Ireland to France? How much did it cost? How rough of a ride was it?
Dec 29th, 2006, 07:42 AM

There are ferries from Rosslare and Cork to France but none from New Ross. They go to Roscoff or Cherbourg. Brittany Ferries have the bigger and newer ship, running weekly in summer from Cork to Roscoff (www.brittany-ferries.com); the ship has a swimming pool amongst the usual amenities, and very good French food. Irish Ferries (www.irishferries.com) run from Rosslare to Roscoff or Cherbourg. The ride might be smooth or might be rough, depending on the weather. I've done it four times and enjoyed it.
Dec 29th, 2006, 07:54 AM

I don't think there's been a commercial ship that far up the river (New Ross is 20-odd miles from the sea) since the 19th century.

True, emigrant ships used to sail from there to North America, and there's a replica in the town these days. But they'd put up with weeks in boats we'd regard as too small to take the family over to France for a weekend in.
Dec 29th, 2006, 07:59 AM

Be prepared for a long, rough journey. Though probably we just hit a rough weather the 20 hour trip between Le Havre and Rosslare was quite a scene - the normally lively disco turned into a triage for sick vomiting passengers. It was one of the longest travails i've been on. Perhaps newer ships stabilize better but take dramamine or whatever with you.
Dec 29th, 2006, 09:33 AM

I personally wouldn't take the ferry - a long and possibly quite rough passage. Especially when you can fly cheaply from Ireland to Rennes, Paris and a lot of othere cities.
Dec 29th, 2006, 11:16 AM

I travel by ferry between Ireland and France about twice a year. The only good reasons for doing so are: 1. because you are accompanied by a vehicle; or 2. because you are afraid of flying. It's not cheaper than air travel, especially if you take the cost of meals into account, and it takes a day from your holiday.

That said, bumpy crossings are rare, and shipwrecks on the route are unheard of in modern times.