Has anybody made music on the streets?

Feb 4th, 2001, 04:02 PM
worldstrad

Has anybody made music on the streets?

Play violin;going to Europe(Germany, France, Italy, Czech R.,etc.) this summer. Anybody knows where I can just play and where I need a license to play on the street? Where do I get the licenses?

Feb 4th, 2001, 04:19 PM
Tammy

I remember seeing something on Lonely Planet that the Parisian metro musicians must audition to receive a license in order to be permitted to play in the metro tunnels.

Feb 4th, 2001, 06:53 PM
clairobscur

Yes, it's true, concerning musicians in the metro tunnels in Paris (though not all of them actually are licensed... usually pretty easy to tell the difference).

Note that those who play on the trains aren't licensed, since it's forbidden. They would loose their license (and be fined)

Concerning performers in the streets, whatever could be the law, I strongly doubt that many of them have any kind of license.

Feb 4th, 2001, 07:31 PM
Christina

I only know a little about Paris--they only give out a couple hundred permits in total for musicians in metro tunnels, and they consider your act as to whether they need it (you will be in competition with a lot of violinists from Eastern Europe); they audition twice a year and it's done by RATP (the metro itself), so I wouldn't count on that. I don't know about the street thing in Paris, I've seen a few around the big tourist areas, of course, that's where they are, like on rue de la Huchette near the Seine and the St-Michel metro stop. I think buskers tend to congregate around the Charonne metro stop informally, you could hang out there and maybe ask someone. I would suggest you ask the French Govt Tourist Office (www.francetourism.com) or the Paris Tourist Office (www.paris-touristoffice.com) for specifics. There are quite a few on the Paris metro cars, surprisingly, given it's not allowed, you'd think it would be easy to catch them. They really bother me as they are never any good on the cars, and often have outlandish accoutrements with them, sometimes they are not musicians but recite things. Given how bureaucratic and rule-loving the French can be, it surprised me how lax they are about some of this stuff--like the gypsy women in the metro tunnels indulging in child abuse, why don't they get rid of them, they are in the same spot for a long time.

Feb 5th, 2001, 01:06 AM
gar

in Germany You a license, but it is easyly to get from the next police station. mostly You are limited by a number of days in every town.

Feb 5th, 2001, 04:20 AM
Nigel

Ond time, after I had eaten a full English breakfast with beans, I made music all morning on the streets. I was tooting everywhere I went, and leaving a large gassy cloud behind me.....

Feb 5th, 2001, 04:27 AM
Florence

In Geneva, Switzerland, you can play up to 8 days every 3 months, for a fee of Sfr 10/day. Licenses through "Service des patentes" 27 Boulevard Helvétique, Geneva, phone (4122) 787 61 33, or at a police station.

I can't wait to hear you in our streets ...

Feb 5th, 2001, 05:52 PM
steve

in salzburg several years ago, i saw a policeman telling a young american that he needed a permit. He waited around until the 'performer' packed up an left