Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Has a book, TV show, or movie ever inspired your choice of a vacation destination? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/has-a-book-tv-show-or-movie-ever-inspired-your-choice-of-a-vacation-destination-390602/)

DixieChick Jan 22nd, 2004 02:09 PM

Has a book, TV show, or movie ever inspired your choice of a vacation destination?

I posted this on the US board also. I was interested in hearing from those who answered yes to this question. Anyone?

Natalia Jan 22nd, 2004 02:23 PM

Hi, good question. The movie "Only You" inspired me to check out the Amalfi Coast it looked so beautiful in the movie I watched it over and over.

Then when I was lucky enough to get there it was just as beautiful as I thought it would be.

wsoxrebel Jan 22nd, 2004 02:29 PM

A rereading of the Thomas Jefferson / Sally Hemings novel by Barbara Chase-Riboud led to a trip to Monticello and Williamsburg. A fantastic fiction humanizing George Washington led to a Washington DC trip. (I just can't remember the author). Blind Descent by Nevada Barr led to a Carlsbad Caverns trip. I read so much that I rarely remember the titles, but there are probably dozens more which entered my subconscious.

maitaitom Jan 22nd, 2004 03:15 PM

The Eiger Sanction made me want to visit Grindelwald (fortunately it did not make me want to become a hit man). We went in September and it was GLORIOUS!
((H))

tmh Jan 22nd, 2004 03:27 PM

Kinda. 'Girl with a Pearl Earring' made me a fan of Vermeer so when in eastern Germany in Nov, made sure I went to Dresden. Also working with a friend to create a Europe tour to see as many of the paintings that 7 days would decently allow.

Daisy54 Jan 22nd, 2004 03:28 PM

Definitely! After reading "Outlander" by Diana Gabaldon, I made a point of visiting Culloden Battlefield on my first trip to Scotland. It was made even more significant by the fact that soeem of my ancestors came from a few miles away so were most likely also affected by this battle whether they actively participated or not. And while in the area, I did keep my eyes peeled for tall men with red hair, but unfortunately did not see any!

And in Edinburgh I visited a couple sites associated with J.K. Rowling, the creator of Harry Potter to take photos for my niece who's a big fan, and when we got to London I actually found Platform 9 3/4 in Kings Cross station for her too.

Also while in London my mother insisted on visiting number 84 Charing Cross Road because there was a book and film with that title that she enjoyed. The bookshop is no longer there but there's a plaque commemorating it.

Judyrem Jan 22nd, 2004 03:51 PM

Well, I have not been to New Zealand, but after seeing Lord of the Rings, I must see it now. Wings of the Dove made me want to visit Venice. Pride and Prejudice was Regencey England at its best, and I loved it and had to see it! :-) Judy

rex Jan 22nd, 2004 03:56 PM

It influenced one little aspect of out trip - - we were planning on being in
Windsor anyway, and we were heading to High Wycombe to the theatre, with a plan to go somewhere for tea before.

So we chose the "Rose and Crown" (I think that's the name) where Hugh Grant and Andie MacDowell had their first hook-up in "Four Weddings and a Funeral". It was vaguely cool - - but mostly because they did the tea well. If it had been crummy, the superficial connection to Hollywood wouldn't have been worth much.

Best wishes,

Rex

UMJulie Jan 22nd, 2004 04:12 PM

I'm a big BBC America and Jane Austen fan so I am looking forward to touring the UK this summer. Also, and this is kind of embarrassing, but I remember watching a Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous episode about 20 years ago (when I was a very young girl, mind you!) about the island of Capri. I remember thinking that it was the most beautiful place I had ever seen, and I have wanted to go there ever since. Hopefully in 2005.

SLHogan Jan 22nd, 2004 04:33 PM

"Without Reservation" - this book didn't inspire to visit Paris, London, or the various Italian cities (yet!), but more of what the author did. She left her life as a reporter and spent 6 months (I think) in Europe. It was amazing to read about her experiences as a solo female traveler.

I'm still attempting to do this, but for some reason, the timing is all wrong! :(

StCirq Jan 22nd, 2004 05:26 PM

I planned my last trip through the Languedoc-Roussillon area after reading Michael Sanders'<ital From Here You Can't See Paris ital> so that I could eat at the restaurant that the book is all about - La Récréation in Les Arques. It didn't disappoint.

Ardfert Jan 23rd, 2004 12:54 AM

The town of Dingle in the southwest of Ireland was too remote for most tourists in the 1960s.Many locals followed their relatives and settled in America.In truth the town was undistinguised and lacked amenities except for pubs of course.Then in 1968 David Lean made Ryans Daughter,a high budget film, in the area and the town has never looked back.In 1982 Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman made Far and Away there too.The small town of Dingle now is a prosperous place and has lots of good restaurants and all kinds of tourist facilities.It is one of the favorite places for people on this board to visit.If you plan to go there get the videos first and have a preview of the natural beauty of the area.

bbib Jan 23rd, 2004 01:40 AM

Thelma and Louise definately whet my apetitie for SW USA. I was not disappointed.

kimerley Jan 23rd, 2004 01:55 AM

Movie: Enchanted April. A lovely movie, where 3 women from London who have different backgrounds rent a villa in Italy for a month. It is set in the 1920's (I think).
Book: Under the Tuscan Sun....I know it sounds glib but that book really made up my mind to visit Italy.
"A room with a view"
"Brideshead revisited" I made sure I visited Castle Howard, it was lovely.
I read absolutely any travel story.
"Almost French" is also a fantastic book on an Aussie living in Paris....

babette Jan 23rd, 2004 02:43 AM

Surely I'm not the only one that went to Provence because of Peter Mayle.

Kate Jan 23rd, 2004 02:47 AM

Room with a view encouraged me to wander through a cornfield in the hills overlooking Florence. But weirdly, no one came up and snogged me?!

Judyrem Jan 23rd, 2004 04:19 AM

Yes, Kimerley, we are going to do that itinerary next year.....Tuscany for a week then Amalfi :-). I loved that movie BTW!

mrwunrfl Jan 23rd, 2004 04:20 AM

Blame it On Rio

memejw Jan 23rd, 2004 06:23 AM

Man from Snowy River and Return to Snowy River for Australia. Just haven't made it there yet. Cheesy movie, but beautiful scenery.

Pride & Prejudice made me want to stalk Colin Firth and profess my love. Does that count? :)

Kate Jan 23rd, 2004 06:43 AM

memejw, I saw him first