Harrod's Food Court info needed

Old Aug 5th, 2004, 08:24 PM
lyb
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harrod's Food Court info needed

Hi,

My friend is arriving in London a few days after I do. By the time she lands, gets to the hotel and freshen up, it will be around 12noon or so. Since it is my first time in London and I'm only there for 8 days, we both agree that I shouldn't waste the morning staying at the hotel waiting for her to arrive.

She has been to London quite a few times and suggested that we meet at the food court at Harrods, since I do want to go to Harrods and it will be apx lunch time anyway. Here's our challenge, I do know that the food court is quite big, and she can't remember off hand the name of a particular restaurant/company that we could meet at. I've gone to Harrod's on line to see if they might have a list of all the food places but couldn't find anything.

Would anyone remember the names of restaurants that we could make our meeting point? If our cell phones worked in the UK, there wouldn't be a problem, but they don't, so we need a meeting spot and I need your help in determining which location within the food court.

Thank you.
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 08:40 PM
lyb
Original Poster

I went back to Harrod's website and found the list of every place at the food court. However, if you have any ideas, I'd still love to hear them.
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 08:59 PM

If you want an actual restaurant, Cafe Harrod's is on the 2nd floor. I've been to Harrod's a few times and I really don't see where you would have a problem meeting up with your friend in the Food Hall - say at the entrance, or there is a coffee bar, sushi bar, deli, within the FH. Have fun - it is truly mind boggling!
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 10:28 PM

What would you like to eat? There are a number of restaurants in the Food Halls, mostly counters with stools. Most convenient would be the Pizza counter, since it's opposite the entrance from the street (Hans Place). Next to the Pizza counter there's an icecream bar. There's a deli in the meat hall. An oyster bar right next to the fish display, a cheese bar right next to where the cheese counter is.
An easy place to meat is at the fish display, next to the oyster bar. You can't miss it.
There's also a tapas bar in the basement; take the escalator right next to the pizza counter.
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 11:59 PM

I suggest the Krispy Kreme counter. You can smell them from a mile away... .
Old Aug 6th, 2004, 12:12 AM

How about the cheese bar. (Not the counter) you can sit have a coffee/wine and wait and get a cheese plate if you are peckish. Its just in side one of the entrances to the hall. Its nice for people watching as well. Thats where I usually meet friends when I am over.
Old Aug 6th, 2004, 12:17 AM
W

The oyster bar or the sushi bar would be a great place to meet.
Old Aug 6th, 2004, 04:23 AM

I'd eat at the cheese bar, they do very nice little bits, but if you want somewhere to meet - Krispy Kreme as this is by an entrance so can be found easily!
Old Aug 6th, 2004, 06:24 AM

Food Courts in American malls are great areas full of fast food restaurants.
Harrods Food Courts might be better imagined as a huge market full of every kind of delicious food, divided into seafood, cheese, bakery, etc.
Meet her by the desserts

We have rented a flat in So Ken and made great use of the Food Halls. Dinner of caviar, smoked salmon and cheeses, breakfast of same and all those desserts to taste test.
Have a lovely time!
Old Aug 6th, 2004, 07:06 AM

Yes, there is a vast difference in the food halls in US malls and England. You won't find McDonalds, Pizza Hut or Chinese restaurants in the UK food halls.
Old Aug 6th, 2004, 08:02 AM

Here's another place you might want to consider for a meeting point - Starbucks. It's on the lower level (basement to Americans) and it's small enough that you shouldn't have trouble finding each other like you may in the very large & sometimes crowded food halls. Also it's a little less expensive than the other restaurants in Harrods. When I was there last Apil, I left the Starbucks shop to find the loo and while going up the escalator, I saw Harrods' owner, Mohamed al-Fayed and his bodyguards. When I returned to Starbucks where my mom was finishing her snack and minding our packages, she was very jealous that she missed him - our only celebrity sighting in the U.K.
Old Aug 6th, 2004, 08:06 AM

I've encountered him countless times when I'm at his store - always beautifully suited and booted, flanked by two burly looking chaps.
Old Aug 6th, 2004, 08:24 AM

I don't know what folks are talking about "meet at the entrance". There are many entrances to the Food Halls - and several halls. At mid day they will all be VERY crowded and fairly overwhelming if you have not been there before.

So I'd select a different location to meet up and then you can go into the food halls together. You could meet at the bank or the tax desk which are both on the lower level (basement), fairly quiet and have chairs where you can sit and wait.

or you could meet in the Harrods shop which is near the tax desk.
Old Aug 6th, 2004, 09:52 AM

There is only one entrance that leads directly into the Food Halls from the street, and it leads you directly to the Pizza counter. It's on the side street (Hans Place I think, anyway, the street where Rigby and Peller is); coming from the direction of Kensington, turn right just before the building, and the entrance to the food halls will be a little further on the left. (not the first entrance; this will take you to the hosiery department).
Really very easy.
And Mr Fayed does always look well dressed. I have seen him several times too. I think it's always good that the boss is around regularly. I used to be a guest shopper at Harrods, filling out questionnaires and reviewing the departments, and was told that Mr Fayed takes a keen interest in that too.
Old Aug 6th, 2004, 10:08 AM

To be honest, I wouldn`t recommend to meet in the food halls. Sometimes they are very crowded and it could be difficult to find someone. Why not meet at a place less crowded, like the room of luxury. It is on the same level, not very crowded and small enough to see each other in seconds. And if your friend is late you could have a look on all these beautiful things. Later you both could decide together what and where you want to eat...
Old Aug 6th, 2004, 10:10 AM

Or do an Audrey Hepburn and meet in the Tiffany concession on the ground floor behind the food hall.
Old Aug 6th, 2004, 12:03 PM

There is only one entrance from the street - but there are several entrances from other departments. And it is on the opposite side of the store from the tube station so you have to walk around or through the whole store. I would not want to have to hang around out on the pavement (sidewalk) or just inside this very congested doorway. Just decide on a quieter department (that's why I suggested the bank or export desk) to meet up.
Old Aug 6th, 2004, 03:38 PM

if you have to go to a food hall in britain at least go to go fortnum and mason. harrods is really really bad. you might as well be at the mall of america.
Old Aug 6th, 2004, 03:41 PM

I'd meet at the Krispy Kreme donut place--you can "smell" you way to them!
surfingmomma
Old Aug 6th, 2004, 03:47 PM

"harrods is really really bad"

My dear, I love their foodhalls, if I'm having a dinner party I will always have little bit bought from their. The selection is superb, and quality is topnotch. Their turned vegetables to serve with meats are beautifully prepared. You have no idea what you are talking about. Fortums, whilst very charming, is far smaller than Harrods, and as a result the selection suffers.

Stop being so negative when you have no idea what you are talking about.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -