Your favourite places - recommendations please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2014, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would love to go somewhere during summer, but I will have a limited budget. I am dreaming of a place that is:
1 Affordable - this probably means a place where most tourists do not go
2 Where I can understand and make myself understood - this means a place where English is at least known to some
3 A place where I can rent an apartment or something for 3 weeks
4 A place with some natural beauty - near a mountain, a forest, or a river - where it is possible to go for walks
5 Preferably a place where I can get by with public transport
6 A place where I can buy the basics without travelling (baker, groceries ...)
7 I will be fine without museums and important sites to visit.

Does such a place exist? I realize that some of my terms above may be mutually exclusive - e.g. most places where tourists do not go, also do not speak much English?

Is there a small town, even a city, somewhere that will allow DD and me 'just to be there'? Scotland or Ireland, Greece or Spain ... central Europe ... anywhere else? Is the whole of Switzerland equally expensive?

Dear wise Fodorites, do you have any specific, helpful and kind recommendations?
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 06:04 AM

I don't have a specific answer for you (sorry!) but my first thought is the weather. How hot do you want it? That would narrow down your search by country/region.

Yes, Switzerland is expensive.

If I were doing your trip I would go either to southern Germany or northern Austria. The German transportation system is great (although I'm not sure about smaller towns but I imagine that it's still good), Germans are more likely to speak English, even in less touristy areas, and it's beautiful.

I would not care if no one spoke English as I've traveled in Europe when not many people spoke English and got along fine. Why do you need people to speak English?
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 06:18 AM

Yes, how warm do you want to be? Good question!

How much activity do you need?

Do you want access to cultural/historical sites or do you want to live like a local for three weeks?

Do you have physical or psychological limits (e.g, patience)?
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 06:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It sounds like you are looking for the Bernese Oberland, Switzerland--Wengen, Lauterbrunnen, Murren, Grindelwald, Interlaken, Spiez, Thun.

Great public transportation via train, gondola, and post bus.

Great hiking and scenic walks!!!!!!

Research the Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg walk.

Boat rides on Lakes Thun & Brienz.

You can also take train to Bern or Luzern for the day.

Switzerland is VERY EXPENSIVE, however.

Thin
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Good question Adrienne. It is based on an experience in a small town at the north of Lake Como in Italy, where we really really struggled to find our way, and I so wished for one person with a few English words! But you are right, English is not essential. It just cuts down on the stress levels if you can easily communicate.

Austria ... hmmm ...
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 06:29 AM

If it were me I would have a look at rural Scotland or Ireland - not that expensive and everyone speaks Englaish.

Other places that can be fairly inexpensive and have a good chance of some people speaking English are smaller towns in southern germany, suburbs of salzburg in austria or areas of eastern belgium, which are much less frequented by mobs of tourists than the Brussels, Brugges, Gent area.

BUT - without specifics on what exactly your limited budget is - it's difficult to be specific.

(Yes, Switz is gorgeous - but it's expensive everywhere.)
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 06:33 AM

This web site on Bavaria might help you. I imagine it's still active as its copyright has been updated to 2014. At the bottom of the home page is an email link so you can ask questions.

http://www.bensbauernhof.com/

The hotel in Waxenlehen is a place I would love to visit - my idea of Bavaria!
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

How warm do I want? I want to get away from Dubai summer, where it will be 48C. I do not much care for summer weather related to beaches or swimming ... As long as it is not too warm to go for walks - even if you have to do that early mornings before the heat of the day. Last summer we were in Italy, and the heat was totally bearable.

Ackislander: thanks for more thoughtful questions. We do not need a 'night life' (whatever that may be). We do not need trips and all kinds of business. So, we would rather want to live like locals I think.

Psychological limits: I like to think that I am adaptable and mostly easy to please. But my everyday life is demanding, so I would like the holiday time to be mostly easy to take. Physical limits: I am not 22 any more, so no strenuous hiking or rock climbing or related!

Pepper: you have mentioned several places on my bucket list! However, this time I would prefer something less expensive. I have a theory that there are places of equal beauty that are less well-known and therefore more affordable.
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 06:34 AM

<< If it were me I would have a look at rural Scotland or Ireland - not that expensive and everyone speaks Englaish. >>

Yes, but sometimes it's difficult to understand the accent!
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 06:38 AM

Since you plan on 3 weeks in one location you may be able to negotiate the rental rate and save some money.
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 06:43 AM

You have me looking at the web site I gave you. I've had the link for probably a decade in case I wanted to do a tour of Bavaria and Austria. Now I'm salivating over some of these properties.

I wouldn't worry about being a few miles from a town or village as the family would be driving into town and I'm sure they would give you a lift. Here's a farm that looks great. Can I go with you??? LOL

http://www.bensbauernhof.com/ffjan01baerhof.html
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 07:34 AM

I think Nauplion, Greece would be a great choice. Nafplion is a wonderful seaside town, with Neoclassical Houses, beautiful Alleys, tavernas, old churches, and the town is crowned with a castle, while the port is protected by a Medieval Tower.

It is a great place to stay for 3 weeks, and you won't get bored as there are great excursion options which you can make. You can visit Mycenae, a great Ancient city which actually was the home of Agamemnon, leader of the Greeks in the Trojan War. The site is in the UNESCO list.

Also you can visit Epidaurus, which is considered the best Theater in the World, it's the best preserved Ancient Theater of Antiquity, it can hold 14.000 people and it is still active, but just for Top Notch Theatrical Perfomances, with its world famous Acoustics. It would be an unforgetable experience, I have attended a performance, "The Trojan Women" of Euripides, last year, and it was absolutely fascinating experience.

You can also visit Monemvasia, a Medieval walled town, which has not changed for 600 years, and its natural position is great, it is called the Gibraltar of the East.
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 10:29 AM

First you need to set a budget. 'Affordable' is a meaningless term unless you define what you consider affordable. Without knowing that, any suggestion is just a guess.

Your criteria are all so general as to be near useless. Almost any village or town in Europe would meet them with the exception perhaps of budget if we knew what it was and speaking English.

In regards to the speaking English criteria, I would throw that one out. It's simply not reasonable to expect that if you also want to avoid better known tourist areas. That's asking to have your cake and eat it too.

One more comment re Switzerland being expensive. No it is not. Not according to MY budget constraints. Obviously adriene, nytraveler and pepper have lower budget constraints than I do. They are ASSUMING that YOU would find it expensive simply because they do. I can tell you that it is not more expensive than Scotland(suggested above) for example if you compare apples to apples. City to city or village to village.
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 10:34 AM

IME, anyplace that is inexpensive and not a place that tourists go will not be English-speaking, a big plus IMO.
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 11:11 AM

Here is a list of the cheapest cities to live in the UK: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/pi...st-cities.html

Of that list I suppose I'd hit up Glasgow or Birmingham.
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 11:58 AM

Three of my favourite places that I found affordable, beautiful and with lots to do either in the cities themselves or short excursions in the surrounding areas, are Dubrovnik, Budapest and Turkey (Istanbul, Izmir/Selchuk or the towns in Cappadocia which are fascinating). Knowing your sense of adventure and of inquiry, I think any of these would appeal to you, especially the historical areas of Turkey noted above.

I had no issues with finding English speaking locals in any of them, rented cars and drove easily in all three, rented beautiful, clean modern and inexpensive apartments in all three and enjoyed great food in all three, often freshly caught or harvested and simply cooked. I also used the public transport (buses, trains, trams) in all of them and found it very easy to get around. Best of all, the local people were very friendly and helpful.

Having visited all at least once (and Budapest 4 times I liked it that much), I'd happily make any one of them a base for 3 weeks, with excursions to the surrounding areas for a day or days or longer. All three provide many options for this. And they're quite safe.
I'll let you research any of these further in your own time if they interest you, and then answer more particular questions when you have any.
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for thoughtful replies to my too general questions. Mathieu, my first search on BUDAPEST yielded the following:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/de...osts-fall.html

I will dig a bit ...
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 04:42 PM

There have been some great suggestions and, certainly, there are some wonderful possibilities. In regard to Dubrovnik, I loved it and hope to return. Budapest is nice too, but I think I prefer Dubrovnik.
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 05:44 PM

Kosvie, good for you. Finishing up your great trip to Oxford with DD and now planning your summer adventures.

Will look forward to trip reports from the both of you this summer, eh?
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 06:10 PM

County Wicklow in Ireland may be worth research. I think it meets your criteria but am not sure how easy it would be to explore without a car. You can certainly get to the area easily enough from Dublin on rail, DART or bus as it's just to the immediate south. Magnificent area of natural beauty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -