Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Happy Father's Day to All the Dads Ot There! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/happy-fathers-day-to-all-the-dads-ot-there-231320/)

Annie Jun 15th, 2002 02:38 PM

Happy Father's Day to All the Dads Ot There!

That's it!

AJ Jun 15th, 2002 02:50 PM

This is a travel forum, darling.<BR><BR>That's all!

Rex Jun 15th, 2002 02:53 PM

Many of us caught the travel bug from a father (or a mother or both) - - and see passing it on as integral to being a father.<BR><BR>As a father, can I say "thank you", Annie?<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Annie Jun 15th, 2002 03:24 PM

Rex, you are most welcome. You are always a gentleman. <BR><BR>My love of travel came about because my father always wished he could. <BR><BR>Happy Father's Day to you!

Terry Jun 15th, 2002 03:44 PM

I caught my travel bug from my father, who took his first solo trip to Europe in 1963, at age 56. I was ten. Seven years later he gave me the gift of a trip to Paris with my high school French class. Upon graduation from college, my husband and I traveled with Dad to Germany, where I met my German ancestors. I have returned to Europe three more times since then, most recently this month. Thanks Dad, for my love of travel. Wish you were still with me to share the memories this Father's Day.

nancy Jun 15th, 2002 03:49 PM

last yr,<BR>or the yr before there were two great threads about moms on M-day and fathers on father's day.<BR>Of course, Fodors is beyond that now,<BR>according to AJ<BR>which is too bad<BR><BR>Thanks annie. :-)

Pine Jun 15th, 2002 04:01 PM

Screw you Nacny. you realy need to look in a miror.

Uncle Sam Jun 15th, 2002 05:13 PM

Thank you;~))

Tom Jun 16th, 2002 03:27 AM

An amen from all of us who wish our dads were still here, to plan one more trip with.<BR>

Jana Jun 16th, 2002 04:13 AM

Can't Pine resist "needling" people?<BR><BR>What a nice sentiment, Annie! Both my parents infused me with a love of travel - especially my father. For as long as I can remember, they hardly ever took a trip without taking me along, too - still do.<BR><BR>Enjoy the day!<BR>

Kate Jun 16th, 2002 06:04 AM

Lovely!<BR>Happy Fathers Days to all you Dads!<BR>Mine taught me to love to travel when he took us to live in Hawaii when I was 4.When he always told me that I could do anything that I wanted to.<BR>Now I have a great husband and dad to my children who loves to travel also,and we have passed that to our children.<BR>Happy Travels,Dads:o)

Shanna Jun 16th, 2002 06:58 AM

Dear Daddy: This will be the first year I can't send you a Father's day card. No funny, cute jokes, no serious sincere sentiments. Just remembering you as you were before Alzheimer's trapped you and death took you away. If I need to connect with you, I have the box of letters you wrote to your mother, starting in 1929 when you joined the Navy. It's a painful and joyous reading, discovering the boy you were looking homeward - concerned about your mother's health, your brother's grades, and your grandparents recovery from the stock market crash - to seeing you become the man I knew, looking outward: fascinated with new ports and strange lands, tolerant and accepting of differences, appreciation of other cultures, learning of duty and sacrifice, enduring hardship, fear, and loneliness. And growing into a courageous, strong, loving parent, even if you were utterly baffled by children. I can find you in your son and daughters. In Fred, I see your chivalric idealism. In Stephanie, your calm fortitude. In Sandy, your stubborness and determination. In myself, Daddy, I find the wanderlust. What a great gift to me! I read of your excitement in your first sailing to Alaska and your impressions on that vast, cold land. Then, so shortly after, you wrote of your eagerness to be underway once again, to the next port. It's easy to imagine you on deck, your face turned away from land, looking out to sea, the easy rocking of the ship, then feeling the rumble under your feet as the engines start. I know that thrill. Thank you for never asking me when I would settle down. The Navy sent you on a 30 year odyssey around the world. Now, you're on that final odyssey to the undiscovered country. Until we meet again, here's wishing you a happy voyage home. I'm so proud to have been your - Shanna.

Annie Jun 16th, 2002 07:58 AM

Shanna, such a lovely tribute to your father. I'll be thinking of you today as I think of my dad, too.

nancy Jun 16th, 2002 11:17 AM

Shanna- thanks, that was lovely.

Omni Jun 16th, 2002 11:22 AM

Shanna<BR>That's beautiful.<BR><BR>I also caught the travel bug from my dad, my "Pops". Both my parents travel, my sister and I have travelled since before we can remember, but it's my dad who is passionate about seeing as much of the world as possible. Infact right now, my parents are travelling around the Pantenal (sp?) in Brazil, two weeks ago they were tracking Pandas in China. I thank them often for sharing travel with me and now I share it with my husband. Happy Father's Day Pops...