Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Happening Areas of Paris (and nearby hotels)

Old Jan 28th, 2010, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Travelers!

Wondering if anyone can recommend some happening, busy areas of Paris. My husband and I just turned 30 and are looking for a hotel in an area with restaurants, bars, cafes and shopping... hip places that are fun and busy. We live in New York so are used to busy scenes, and we're wondering what the trendy happening areas are in Paris. Then in turn, we'd like to find a hotel nearby so we can walk to some fun things (drinks, breakfast, shops, etc.).

Any suggestions for neighborhoods and/or hotels (we probably don't want to go over $400 per night)?

Thanks in advance! Or should I say, Merci!

Bridgett
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 09:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HUGE caveat: I'm neither a native nor particularly hip...but lots of areas in Paris fit your description.

Personally, I'd look at the edge of the 3rd towards the 11th or the 11th towards the 3rd because that' general area is convenient for many sights. It also feels a bit more neighborhood-y (to me) and somewhat young. I am biased, though--I just like that area and there are certainly cafes, restaurants, clubs, etc. You're near the Marais but also by Republique and Oberkampf. If you wanted something more central with many, many more shops and a busier/buzzier feel, you could try the Marais itself.

What about Le General?
http://www.legeneralhotel.com/

I'm sure others with differing opinions will weigh in.

Have a great trip.
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 10:30 AM

Hello....;you might try the Brighton on Rue Rivoli and ask for the junior suites on the 3rd or 4th floor. Great views of Tuilleries, Orsay, Louvre to your left, Tour Eifel to the right. Very central and easy to metros and buses or taxis..
Enjoy..
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 10:35 AM

Like Leely2, I'm not into the "happening" scene - in my case it's because I'm almost twice your age I do know that a very trendy place right now is referred to as Oberkampf. Here's a link from Wikitravel that gives a good description.
http://wikitravel.org/en/Paris/Oberkampf
If you'd like to think about staying in the Marais, here's another site you might find helpful:
http://www.parismarais.com/
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 10:37 AM

The St. Germain des Pres area (Right Bank) is great -- 6th arr. Lots of hotels, shops, cafes, restaurants, shopping, etc., and very centrally located ... maybe 2-3 blocks to the Seine We loved Hotel des Marroniers (sp?) on rue Jacob.

Although I've not spent alot of time there, the Marais (4th arr.) sounds like a very fun area.

Do some searches on this site --- lots of hotel reviews.

Enjoy!

joy/luvparee
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 10:37 AM

The Brighton on rue de Rivoli would be about as far from what the OP asked for as I could imagine. I agree that Oberkampf or parts of the Marais would be perfect for you. Or the Latin Quarter, though it's way more geared to tourists than Oberkampf.
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 10:47 AM

Oberkampf is the area I've heard about.

As a guide, here is a web site I found recently, from the City of Paris, used to promote nightlife

www.parisnightlife.fr