Search

Hampton Court Palace - using Travelcards to get 2-for-1 & ferry discount

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4th, 2010, 08:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hampton Court Palace - using Travelcards to get 2-for-1 & ferry discount

Hi Everyone
DH & I have a week in London starting from May 21 next year and I am working on our wish list. We have been before therefore we want to just take things day by day, weather dependant and now we are feeling but I want to have all the relevant info ready to go.

One of my thoughts is to take the ferry to HCP, wander around and take the train back using a Travelcard to obtain the 2-for-1 discount to enter the Palace, there is also a 33% discount for the ferry. But I just need something cleared up and hope you can help. I am right in understanding that we purchase the Travelcards the day before for travel from Hampton Court to Waterloo, then show them to get the ferry and HCP discount - then use them to get the train back to London - but do those tickets have to be for a specific time? Or are they "open" to use when we feel ready to return? Hope this makes sense.

Many thanks.
Old Dec 4th, 2010, 10:58 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I would personally not take the boat TO Hampton Court Palace. I'd take it on the return journey from the palace back into central London.

A couple of reasons: Going up stream usually takes quite a bit longer than down stream (not always though since the river is tidal and the tidal flow can make a difference). The upstream journey can be an hour longer than the trip back. And taking the boat, you would not get to the palace until well into the afternoon.

Whereas, taking the train TO the palace can get you there at opening time, you can spend as long as you like, and then take a leisurely trip back down river to town if the weather is nice.

And - if you buy train tix to Hampton Court the morning of your visit -- that solves the paper ticket issue for the 2 for 1's.
Old Dec 4th, 2010, 11:56 PM

But to answer the question as put, you can indeed buy a travelcard the day before if you want. The point about a travelcard is that it's valid for a whole period of time, the main option being whether you want it to start before or after 0930 (the official cut-off time for the end of the commuter rush hour).

To get the 2for1 you will need to buy it from a National Rail station, not a tube station, and for Hampton Court, you will need to buy it for zones 1-6. That will give you maximum flexibility, since it will cover National Rail trains, tubes and buses within the zones, as well as the boat discount. So you can play it by ear. Personally, like janisj, I'd take the train to Hampton Court first, and put the flexibility/variability into the return, for which you can do things like taking the boat part of the way back, to Richmond, Kingston or Putney and taking a train back to Waterloo from there (you could use the tube from Richmond or Putney, but it would take longer).
Old Dec 5th, 2010, 12:52 AM
Original Poster

janisj, great advice as usual - that sounds like a more flexible plan. The timetable on the website for the ferry isn't available at this point, being off season. I didn't even think about upstream/downstream times. This trip would definitely come under the "nice day only" list. I am trying to build some nice day, rainy day options into our wish list.

It would sure be a pleasant way to return to the city I think.

And PatrickLondon, thank you for clearing up the validity of the travelcard - I just couldn't seem to find that info written in black and white anywhere! Its good to know in case we take other journeys.

Excellent suggestions for the return if we decide to get off, I believe there is really good pub in Richmond so I guess we could stop for something to eat if we are peckish then hop on the train. I will have to check google maps for distances just in case!

Last time we were rushing to see things, now we just want to take it slowly.

Thank you both for sharing your wealth of knowledge, its greatly appreciated.
Old Dec 5th, 2010, 01:27 AM

The boats run a sightseeing cruise rather than a ferry service. Generally, in the peak season, there are boats from Westminster at 1030, 1115 and 1200, and from Hampton Court at 1500, 1600 and 1700. The journey can take from two and a quarter hours to four hours, depending on tides. In May, there might only be two boats instead of three. Occasionally, there are no boats to Hampton Court if the tide is unsuitable (the river between Kew and Richmond sometimes becomes impassable at low tide).
As Janis says, it is usually better to get the train to Hampton Court, then take the boat back if the weather's suitable.
The Westminster boats call at Richmond and Kew (but no longer stop at Putney). There are other boats from Hampton Court to Kingston and Richmond which both have good train services to London.
www.thamesriverboats.co.uk
www.turks.co.uk
www.parrboats.co.uk
Old Dec 5th, 2010, 01:51 AM
Original Poster

We are quite happy to take a sightseeing cruise but in any case it will be a decision made at the time due to the tides. Thank you, Geoff, for the boat links that will give us plenty of choice.

We took a short boat cruise from Windsor last time and really enjoyed meandering along the river so I am sure if the weather is kind we will have a lovely relaxing day.

Thanks again.