Hampton Court from London

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 03:01 PM
Myer

Hampton Court from London

Haven't been to London in many years and will be going mid May for 3 days.<BR><BR>I'd like to try a castle (with an attached town worth walking around). I don't want to spend the whole day of the 3 days.<BR><BR>We last visited Windsor castle and liked walking around the town (though touristy).<BR><BR>Does Hampton Court have a similar setup with a cute town?<BR><BR>

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 03:20 PM
Lori

Well, it's a town, but I'd not exactly say it was cute (it's just a town in my estimation). Having been to Hampton Court I'd highly recommend it, it's a wonderful palace with beautiful grounds. It's a short walk from the train station, just over the bridge..maybe 5 min. walk. The town didn't have a great deal to see/do that we could tell, we did walk up and down the main street and finally ate at a Pizza Hut (God, I hate to admit that, but we were starving). I do not recall any cute shops or anything outstanding. Windsor is a much prettier town. Since you can't go as far afield as Warwick I'd recommend Hampton Court. There is enough to see there for 1/2 day anyway without the town. (The town is not bad, don't get me wrong, it's just not "cute").

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 03:27 PM
m

I can't remember any "cute" towns in England...<BR>Hampton Court is a palace and gardens.They are beautiful and worth a trip..you can get there by train from London.<BR>The town is a bore.<BR>On the way to or from H Court, stop and walk through The Royal Gardens At Kew-that is another good 1/2 day trip out of town.That area,around the train station has some shops and cafes, although I am not sure they would qualify as cute either, but the area is charming and easily walkable.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 04:17 PM
Tony

If I remember rightly there is also a very pleasant walk/stroll along the River Thames bank, with at least one good pub for food and drink - possibly more. The river bank I am referring to is the the South bank, heading West from the bridge.<BR>You can also hire boats for a self drive (or row) cruise - the river is intersting, so there are a lot worse things to do than this.<BR>There are frequent trains from Waterloo to Hampton Court, every half hour and a half hour ride.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 04:32 PM
Myer

I guess I shouldn't have used the word "cute". What I really meant was a town of interest to compliment (or is it complement?) the big city (London).<BR><BR>At this time we are trying to decide on the tone of the London part. See the famous sites (casdtles, musiums, etc) or walk the various areas and mingle more. In 3 days we won;t do everything.<BR>

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 05:44 AM
linda

Myer, I believe the town which is located along side of HCP is called East Moseley(?). I have stayed at each of the apatments in HCP and visited the town frequently. I think that it is a very pleasant and attractive village. It is not at all touristy and you will find locals rather than visitors enjoying the pubs and shops. I do not recall a Pizza Hut being there-and I was there daily. You will find two or three pubs, a butcher, a small market, a newspaper store, a couple of small restaurants, some friendly gift shops, and a few antique shops. My family considers it to be an attractive "real" town that we would consider leasing a flat in if we were staying long term. There are clusters of shops,food, etc in other directions from HCP. Perhaps this is where Pizza Hut was found-or perhaps my memory is selective!<BR><BR>I think that this would be a nice choice as well as a convenient choice for you.<BR><BR>linda

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 06:21 AM
Annette

The nearest 'town' to Hampton Court is Kingston- upon Thames. It is full of excellent shops. There is a central market place which sells fruit and veg etc. on a monday. You can catch a boat from Hampton Court to Kingston which is about 1/2 an hour and is a pleasant ride. It is not pretty like Windsor, but there is lots to do there. Enjoy

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 06:52 AM
linda

Annette, I wish I had known about Kingston, I would have loved to have visited it. The town/"village" that I described is directly across the street from the palace and the train station. It is very convenient and is far more appealing from "within" than when viewed from the palace. It reminds me of the many spots that we pass on the highways and byways which are a surprising treat if you stop for a real visit.<BR><BR>I will have to get back and visit Kinston. It's a good enough reason to re-visit for me!<BR><BR>linda