To catch you up, my wife and I will be travelling mainly through Germany, Austria and Prague for six weeks during May and June 2013.
I thought we had the majority of Germany covered with out planned 25 days there. However, on further investigation I found that we will be seeing neither the Rhine River nor the Black Forest areas.
Currently our itinerary has us spending our final 3 nights in Germany visiting Hamburg before heading to Cologne for a quick train change and on to Bruges.
The only city on our itinerary that I am not really au fait with is Hamburg. So my question is:
Should we still stay in Hamburg for the 3 nights and forego the Rhine and Black Forest, or should we:
1. Spend the 3 nights in Cologne and take day trips along the Rhine and Heidelberg and then continue our trip from there to Bruges, or
2. Spend the 3 nights in Frankfurt where there are quite a number of day trips available to see the Rhine, Baden-Baden in the Black Forest and Heidelberg, as well as a short trip to Cologne to see the Cathedral etc.
We have heard that Hamburg is a bustling city and is big on night life. Our travelling habits are more about lots of sightseeing and lots of walking through the day and then we are usually in bed by 9pm. Given our travel habits, I am not sure that Hamburg would hold as much interest for us as perhaps visiting Cologne, Heidelberg, Baden-Baden and the Rhine / Moselle River region.
Any thoughts please?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Lisbon stay - Olissippo Lapa Palace vs NH Collection Lisboa Liberdade
- 2 Greece -- Alternative to Athens
- 3 Overwhelmed with planning! Need help from Italy experts.
- 4 1st Birthday Party in Italy questions
- 5 London: Stunning New American Embassy
- 6 Rome Hotel
- 7 Trains - website?
- 8 First time italy, 12 nights. What to do
- 9 Moscow Hotels
- 10 Winter ... UK Finland Sweden. (Live...ish)
- 11 Drive from Paris to Mont St Michael
- 12 Easter Week in Italy
- 13 Spain.... 2.5 Weeks... Need Help!
- 14 Paris November 2017
- 15 X-mas Eve dinner in Rome
- 16 Spain in 2018
- 17 Can only visit one (maybe two) cities. Which one?
- 18 Planning a Trip from DC to Anywhere in Europe (Budget Friendly)
- 19 Italy: Hotels on the Amalfi Coast; Orvieto; Perugia; Florence; and Siena
- 20 Christmas week in Ireland
- 21 Is the scenery in South Italy worth the trip by train
- 22 Which Aran Island??
- 23 August - Croatia, Italy, Malta
- 24 Help me pick a destination --- Please!
- 25 Help me with an affordable hotel in Barcelona