Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rome and Amalfi Coast for 10 year anniversary-trip planning

Old Jul 13th, 2010, 02:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to share my excitement somewhere!!! My husband and I will be celebrating our 10 year anniversary this September with a trip to Italy WITHOUT KIDS!! We currently live in Germany (will be here a total of 3 years) and have made 4 trips already to Italy (Venice, Lake Garda, Tuscany, Cinque Terra) with our children and have enjoyed it every time. But, now it is time for mommy and daddy time. We are very excited to visit Rome and the Amalfi Coast area! We have one week, and this is what I have so far.

We have an early morning flight at 6 am to arrive around 8:30 am at Rome Ciampino airport. We have booked 2 nights at the Aventino Hotel. The hotel will pick us up at the airport for 50 euro, so trying to decide if we do that, or do it ourselves through trains/buses, and taxis. Might be worth the 50 euro just to get straight to the hotel.

http://www.aventinohotels.com/inglese/ha/home.htm

I found a GREAT DEAL through B&B Italia for 235 euro for 2 nights, breakfast included. It is over 400 euro to book through the hotel! I know this is not in the city center, but we have learned we much prefer to be out of the noise and crowd as much as we can. Hotel looks to be in a lovely, quiet neighborhood where we can take a bus to the major sites.

Now I need to plan our 2 days in Rome for a first time visit!!!! Yikes!

We then leave for the Amalfi Coast for 4 days/4 nights. We are staying at http://www.agriturismovillamaria.it/. I am considering renting a car for this part of our trip. We have navigated Italy enough now where we feel comfortable driving, and we would then have the freedom to go wherever we would like and not have to rely on overcrowded and hot buses.

Again, another great deal! For 120 euro a night, we get room, view, breakfast AND dinner. This way we can enjoy our Italian meals and wines to the fullest, and just meander back to our room happy, full, and content. While we are here, I plan on a day visiting Positano, a daytrip to Capri, a day hiking up to Ravello (which is the next village above our hotel), and a day relaxing at the beach or whatever else comes up.

Our flight leaves Rome at 10 in the evening on our last day, so if we have a car, we will stop in Pompeii on our way to the airport.

Now, I need to start researching these boards to get the fullest from our 2 days in Rome.
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 02:45 AM

Congratulations on your anniversary and on your choice of hotels.

The Aventine should be a great area in which to stay and you will be close (walking distance, I believe) to the restaurants of Testaccio.

You might compare prices offered by one of the car services such as Rome Shuttle Limousine; take a look here for transfers from the airport; I've used them before and have always been satisfied:

http://www.romeshuttlelimousine.com/

The B&B near Minori sounds terrific!
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 04:22 AM

I've often seen the great reviews for Villa Maria on Tripadvisor. It sounds like just the kind of place I'd like to stay.

Be aware that the greek temple in Paestum is one of the best preserved in the world. WIth a car, it is very close to you.
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 06:27 AM

Congratulations on your upcoming anniversary. The Hotel Aventino is lovely, and I'm sure you'll be happy there. Do plan on a cab or car service from the airport. DH and I took public transportation, and although I'd studied the route carefully beforehand, it took quite a bit of our rolling the suitcases over the cobblestones before we found our way.

After that, it was easy to navigate--be sure to check out the nearby park next to Santa Sabina for spectacular views of the city, and take the winding Clivo Savello down to the edge of the Tiber.
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Ooooh you might regret mentioning you have stayed there!! I will try not to bombard you with too many questions. I have already made note of the fabulous view from Santa Sabina and walk down from the Tiber, but from there, what would you suggest?
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

From Rick Steve's (yep!)

Rome in 2 days:
On the first day, do the "Caesar Shuffle" from the Colosseum to the Forum, then over Capitol Hill to the Pantheon. After a siesta, join the locals strolling from Piazza del Popolo to the Spanish Steps. On the second day, see Vatican City (St. Peter's, climb the dome, tour the Vatican Museum). Have dinner on the atmospheric Campo de' Fiori, then walk to the Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps.

This covers much of what we would wish to see on this first short trip to Rome. Any input, suggestions?
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 07:42 AM

My fiance and I are staying at Aventino's San Anselmo hotel in October for our honeymoon. It looks so beautiful. I just booked through their site, do you have the link where you found that deal?
I'm sure you have already found this on the boards, but Trastevere is near Aventino. It's very relaxed, beautiful and slow paced. Spend a late afternoon/evening there. Their Santa Maria church is beautiful and there are great restaurants.
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 07:53 AM

I love your location in Minori--with a car.
By all means try to see Paestum, which is only about an 1:25 drive from Minori. Have fun--I know you will.
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

dscarber- here is the website:
http://www.bbitalia.it

It was considerably cheaper through them, so here's hoping everything is legit!!

bob, isn't it fantastic?? Even with a car, we have a bit of a hike up to the agriturismo, but I still think it will be a little peace of heaven up there.
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

And Paestrum is now on the list.
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 09:01 AM

We must be kindred spirits, bbrown--I'm a big Paestum booster.

I like Steves' 2-day itinerary for Rome. A previous poster suggested exploring nearby Trastevere, and I think that'd be an atmospheric ramble for the afternoon/evening of your arrival (as well as a relaxing way to gear up for your ambitious doings of the following days).

No doubt the helpful hotel staffers can answer questions about busses and where to catch them (I mostly walked and took the metro). It will be a joy to retreat each night to the tranquil environs of the Aventine!
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 12:36 PM

bbrown, Rome in 2 days, well... there's no reason why you shouldn't do it, if you haven't got more time, but what you HAVE TO know is that Rome in 2 days is like "South America in 2 days - we're flying over Rio de Janeiro and then go straight to Buenos Aires, where we're planning to dine on an atmospheric square". This issue aside, is there any particular reason for the sights on your list? If I had to show somebody around Rome in just two days, of all "your" sights, only the Capitol and the Pantheon would make it on the list. Any interest in further guidance, or are you set on that itinerary?
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 09:40 AM

this is my first time posting and i am looking for help in planning a trip to amalfi coast for my wifes 60th b-day....planning on staying 10 days....any help would b appreciated..thanks
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 11:44 PM
Original Poster

The best advice right now is to search the forums for Amalfi Coast and read through all the topics. You will gain so much info that way, and then it will narrow down your questions for planning. Then, I would start your own thread with your specific questions so they don't get overlooked. Have fun planning! I am counting down the weeks until my trip!
Old Jul 25th, 2010, 01:07 PM

Thanks for the replies this is a great site