Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   halter tops in Europe? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/halter-tops-in-europe-613786/)

sweetpea15 May 7th, 2006 08:20 PM

halter tops in Europe?

I was just wondering if it was appropriate to wear halter tops in Europe. I'm 25 and love the halters, but my mom seems to think they wouldn't be a good wardrobe choice while I'm there. Please be the tie breaker and let me know what you think! I'll be in London, Amsterdam, Munich, Venice, Rome and Paris. Thanks.

degas May 7th, 2006 08:59 PM

Your mom is a smart woman - listen to her.

mousireid May 7th, 2006 09:02 PM

In the middle of Summer, when it is hot and young folk are wearing all kinds of crazy fashions it won't be a problmem BUT there are so many sights (for example churches) that will not allow enbtrance unless shoulders are covered and its not appropriate. London, Amsterdam for sure no probs - the others a little bit 'smarter' dressed...bring a couple if you like.

janisj May 7th, 2006 09:02 PM

Mom knows what you look like in a halter - we don't.

AnthonyGA May 7th, 2006 09:52 PM

Halter tops are exceptional in Europe; one sees them only in hot weather, if at all.

Paris doesn't care, overall, but some of the Catholic churches might object (if they have time).

thateodchick May 8th, 2006 12:08 AM

If you do wear a halter, keep a beautiful scarf tied to your hand bag. Not only is it stylish, but you can wrap it around your shoulders for those places that may frown on your bared shoulders.

m_kingdom2 May 8th, 2006 12:40 AM

Halter necks are a very difficult cut to get away with, regardless of locale. I think they are very unflattering, and am yet to see anyone, superstars, supermodels, and suchlike actually look good in one.

Cicerone May 8th, 2006 01:00 AM

You are 25 and you are still discussing (and apparently still feel you have to justify) your choices wardrobe with your mother??!! Tell her thank you for her input, change the subject, pack what you want, and don't discuss it any further. You are not 15 years old. That's the beauty of being an adult.

In my experience living in Europe, young women dress just as scantily, if not more so, than they do in the US. Go ahead an bare it, if anyone can carry it off, it is a 25 year old. (I wore one in the 1970s, and thought I looked good, I am certain now I did not. . .but good memories anyway.) I agree on the church issue, you might want to bring a scarf or blouse for days when you know you will be visiting churches, mostly for Italy.

katiekb May 8th, 2006 04:37 AM

Here is my experience with European fashion. Wear what you want, but wear it like you mean it. Accesorize, do you hair, nails, great shoes.
If you want to see what is there pick up a French, Italian, British Vogue. But really, they wear the same range we do, just more put together. My favorite was a lime green leopard print dress, shear silk chifon, handkerchief hem, one shoulder, super high stiletos and loads of gold chains in rural Italy. But boy did she work it!
-Katie

massagediva May 8th, 2006 04:53 AM

katiekb-You're right on the money!

laclaire May 8th, 2006 06:24 AM

I love halters and I wear them in Europe quite a bit. They are my choice for going out (paired with a nice skirt and some high heels, they look great), and when it is suny, I like to mix up the straps to avoid the weird tan lines.

Do take a pashmina (you can buy them on the street for cheap in most if not all of the cities you listed), and plan your bras accordingly.

wally34949 May 8th, 2006 07:17 AM

Save them for the clubs at night--not for the churches and museums during the day.

degas May 8th, 2006 07:21 AM

I love a good halter top as well as the next guy, but .......

m_kingdom2 May 8th, 2006 07:37 AM

It's not because it's unsuitable for churches, or "conservative" places, it's simply because as an time of clothing, the cut is unflattering to every single woman in the world. Whoever first featured halter necks was very sadly misguided.

katiekb May 8th, 2006 08:25 AM

Nonsence! Halter styles are very fashionable now. Of course they can range from the trashy to the demure, as anything can. As long as you have the proper undergarment and shoulders worth showing there is no reason to not wear them except in places that require you to cover your shoulders, Like St. Peter's.
-Katie

Mathieu May 8th, 2006 08:33 AM

I think you should post a picture of yourself wearing one before we give you our response. ;)

Budman May 8th, 2006 08:37 AM

I was just thinking that. :-) ((b))

degas May 8th, 2006 09:44 AM

"Nonsence! Halter styles are very fashionable now. Of course they can range from the trashy to the demure"

A demure halter top? Why bother?

SeaUrchin May 8th, 2006 09:50 AM

sweetpea, if you are thin and not too well endowed wear the halter top or at least take a couple and see what happens when you get over there.

katiekb May 8th, 2006 10:37 AM

degas-
Sometimes even Jessica Simpson needs to dress down her hot pants and cowboy boots.
;)
-Katie