hallstatt vs. Hallein

Feb 3rd, 2004, 03:12 PM
Original Poster

hallstatt vs. Hallein

My children really want to visit a salt mine in Austria when we are there in June. Since we'll be staying in SAlzburg for a couple of nights I'm trying to decide whether to take a 1/2 day and go to Hallein or to take a full day and go to Hallstatt. Hallstatt looks lovely but would there be enough to see and do to take the full day or would we be better set to take a quick run to Hallein and just stay around SAlzburg in the afternoon.

Any suggestions appreciated.
Feb 3rd, 2004, 03:36 PM

We have only been to Hallstadt, and didn't even do the salt mine. Have not been to Hallein, so my info is biased....but, we found Hallstadt breathtakingly beautiful. It might be a nice break from "big city" stuff to spend the day there, and maybe a night.
Feb 3rd, 2004, 03:56 PM

If you're staying in Salzburg, why not head into Germany and visit the salt mine in Berchtesgaden? Your admission gets you rental of miners' suits, a mini-train ride, two rides down huge sliding boards, a boat ride on an indoor lake and a short cable car ride back up from the bottom. I've been ther 5 times and loved it each time.

While in the area you can visit the Konigsee, Hitler's Eagle's Nest and drive on the Rossfeld road where there will still be people skiing in early June.
Feb 3rd, 2004, 04:00 PM

Kitty:

Been to both areas! Hallien for the saltmine tour was a fun couple of hours, town was not memorable. Their was some tough walking to and from the mine entrance.

Hallstatt is one of the most postcard pretty towns in all of Austria. You can tour the salt mine, see the town, head up to Gossau Lake*(near Hallstatt) in the Dachstein Mountains for another breathtaking area! So much to do in and around Hallstatt! Give it a go! Your family will not forget it!
JOHN
Feb 4th, 2004, 12:40 PM

The walk from the funicular to the Hallstat Salt Mines is a long steep climb. The mine was interesting and would be especially so for kids (there was a group of school children on our tour that were fascinated with our American accents!) but it isn't cheap. Adults are 20 Euro each and children over 7 are 12 Euro each. Personally, I didn't find it worth the cost.
Feb 4th, 2004, 01:13 PM

It is an all day deal and includes all. Drive to Hallein, see the mine there, then on to Hallstatt for lunch and more, and end up at Gosausee before heading back home---you will not regret it.
Feb 4th, 2004, 01:48 PM

I just want to ditto the advice to go to Hallstatt. We went several years ago, enjoyed a wonderful street festival, interesting tour of the church and bizarre grave yard, plus we had great food. I highly recommend it.