Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Hallstatt to Salzburg- getting back transportation questions
Notices

Hallstatt to Salzburg- getting back transportation questions

Jul 30th, 2016, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Hallstatt to Salzburg- getting back transportation questions

We will be doing a day trip to Hallstatt from Salzburg and need to get back that evening. Ive searched everywhere and know exactly how we are getting there- but how do we get home?! There are lots of different options and I want to plan our time there so to know when the last ferry, or the last train will be.

What are the most economical options of getting home and time efficient ways as well?!

I know some of the options are
1) ferry- train-bus
2) ferry-train to salz

Where and how do I find out the last possible times of each transportation route?

Any info would be great! Thanks!
Jul 30th, 2016, 04:36 PM

At www.oebb.at you input Hallstatt and Salzburg and the day and a time like 16:00 to see late-in-the-day options, then you find the little link "Letzte Fahrt" ("Last Trip", on the far right).

For an arbitrarily entered date of Sep. 23 the last connection leaves Hallstatt Lahn Seelände (Bus 543) at 18:58, arrives at bus stop Obertraun (stop Abzw Bahnhof Dachsteinhöhlen).

You walk 5 minutes to the train station Dachsteinhöhlen, where you board the REX 4418 train at 19:28 that arrives at Stainach-Irdning at 20:15.

You switch to the EC219 train leaving Stainach-Irdning at 20:21 arriving at Liezen at 20:31. (It's a fast train, you may need a seat reservation.)

You walk out of the Liezen station, in front you find the Bus3000 that leaves at 21:00 and arrives in Salzburg at 23:25.
Aug 4th, 2016, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Wow!! Very informative and specific! Exactly what I needed!
Thank You!

Search this Thread