Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   hallstatt-st. wolfgang/gilgen-salzburg-berchtesgarten (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hallstatt-st-wolfgang-gilgen-salzburg-berchtesgarten-607508/)

cmc1991 Apr 13th, 2006 12:40 PM

hallstatt-st. wolfgang/gilgen-salzburg-berchtesgarten

Thanks to those who already helped with our Germany/Austria honeymoon in June-July! (10 days).

2 questions: 1) how does the itinerary below look, esp. in terms of timing for each day trip and 2) does anyone have hotel recommendations in St. Gilgen (or St. Wolfgang) close to Euro 100?

Sat - Thurs -- Germany; nailed down already

Friday (overnight Hallstaat or St. Gilgen/ Wolfgang)
Leave Reutte (near Fussen), possibly quick stop in Innsbruk and onto Hallstaat/ St. Gilgen (maybe stop to see one or two sites in Salzburg)

Saturday (overnight St. Gilgen/ Wolfgang)
Hallstaat -- church, possibly salt mines, little museum, gosausee

Sunday -- overnight St. Gilgen/ St. Wolfgang
Explore St. Gilgen/ Wolfgang area, hike around lake, boat ride, maybe bike, other things to do?

Monday (overnight Salzburg--hotel already booked)
Explore Berchtesgarden, Eagle's nest, Konigsee

Tuesday -- overnight Salzburg
Explore Salzburg
NIght time show (Mozart dinner or Marionnette theater -- which is better?)

Wed
Fly home :(

Thanks!!!

bobthenavigator Apr 13th, 2006 12:52 PM

Not bad--you are gaining on it. As I have said, forget Innsbruck and get to the Salzkammergut area ASAP---more to see there. Stay in St. Gilgen---look for the Garni Schernthaner for great value. Hallstatt is more isolated and harder to access, but do plan a day trip for sure.

tcreath Apr 13th, 2006 01:21 PM

I personally would spend the 5 nights all in one place as opposed to breaking it into two, especially given the fact that Salzburg and St. Gilgen are only about 25 miles from each other. Its just my personal preference, but I don't like checking into and out of hotels any more than I had to. You could easily spend all five nights in St. Gilgen and still feasibly do your itinerary as you have scheduled.

Tracy

tcreath Apr 13th, 2006 01:24 PM

And I agree with Bob. I wasn't impressed with Innsbruck in the least. Its a large city and I found all the large buildings and billboards rather unsightly. I would personally rather stop in Hall, a few miles from Innsbruck. I found it much more pleasant.

Tracy

cmc1991 Apr 13th, 2006 01:49 PM

Thanks! I'll rethink the stop in Innsbruk and maybe just stay 3 nights in St. Gilgen instead of splitting between St. Gilgen and Hallstatt. My (future) husband really wants 1-2 nights in Salzburg, though, so I think that's got to stay! (I'd rather only do a few nights in the city and some by a beautiful lake).

Christina

Zeus Apr 13th, 2006 02:33 PM

If you visit St. Wolfgang take the steamer ship on the Lake and then the cogwheel train ride up the Schafberg Mtn.

treplow Apr 13th, 2006 03:25 PM

Skip any thought about Hallstatt on Friday.

If you go the southern route (Reutte, Garmisch, Mittenwald, Innsbruck, Woergl, St. Johann/Tirol, Lofer, Salzburg (either via Bad Reichenhall or Berchtesgaden) and on to the Wolfgangsee, Hallstatt would be out of your way. The route from Lofer via Berchtesgaden (Bundestrasse 305/Deutsche Alpenstrasse)is quite scenic and you would not double back on it on Monday, except for the short distance from Salzburg to B'gdn.

Even if your route takes you further south: Woergl - Kitzbuehel, Mittersill, Bischofshofen and Wolfgangsee (either via Salzburg or cutting across from Adner along the Wiestal Stausee to Hof), Hallstatt would be out of your way. Save it for Saturday. (Note its correct spelling.)

Other than that, your itinerary looks good.