Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hallstatt, food and laundry (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hallstatt-food-and-laundry-1117368/)

viranpooja Jul 8th, 2016 05:40 PM

Hallstatt, food and laundry

Hi guys!!!
Any advice on where to eat for breakfast/lunch/dinner during our stay in Hallstatt? Any recommendations on restaurants? Part of my group is vegetarian.

Also, any recommendations on places to do self service laundry? I found one place in the town and emailed them but no response.

Thanks in advance!

halfapair Jul 8th, 2016 05:53 PM

Usually the hotel you stay in serves breakfast.

Do the vegetarians in your group eat seafood? Hallstatt will have fish & other seafood available since it's right on a lake. There are pizza & pasta places available. And apple strudel;)

We ate at the Gasthof Zauner (the mixed grill) and it was great. Of course, that is all meat, as Austrian cuisine is all about the meat.

We did laundry down at the campground area.

bettyk Jul 8th, 2016 06:04 PM

Almost all restaurants will have some type of vegetarian dish or salads. Where are you staying? As halfapair said, almost every hotel and b&b serves some type of breakfast.

The Gasthof Zauner is known for its good food and the Hotel See Gruner Baum on the lake has excellent food as well. In the summer, I believe the Gasthof Simony next door to the Gruner Baum also serves lunch and dinner outside on the lake.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...r_Austria.html

viranpooja Jul 8th, 2016 06:10 PM

Thanks for the recommendations!!! The hotel we will stay at serves breakfast but is expensive, especially being that we won't be able to eat half the things on the menu.

I hear a lot about the Apple Strudal so must try that

tomarkot Jul 8th, 2016 06:53 PM

A lovely place for lunch is the Lakeside Terrace Restaurant, part of the Seehotel Gruner Baum in the little town center.

For dinner, we enjoyed the Braugasthof Restaurant. However, I'm not sure about the vegetarian menu. We did have a salad with our entree; perhaps they have a salad entree.

Regarding laundry, as halfapair above suggested, the campground is apparently the place, although we did not make use of it.

Enjoy Hallstatt! Hope you have gorgeous weather!

Trophywife007 Jul 8th, 2016 08:44 PM

For laundry, there is a place in the center of town (across from the church, I think) that is kind of a general store... they serve coffee, sell clothing and general grocery store stuff, and they will do your laundry for you. Drop it off in the morning (you tell them how hot to wash and dry the items) and it will be done by the end of the day at a very reasonable cost.

fourfortravel Jul 8th, 2016 10:26 PM

We stayed at the Seehotel Grüner Baum and breakfast was included in our reservation; there were plenty of offerings for vegetarians, though I do not know if non-guests can sit for breakfast. In the square in the center of the village there are a couple of cafes where you will likely find vegetarian breakfast choices. Steps from the square is a Spar (grocery store) that also doubles as a cafe, where you are likely to find vegetarian breakfast options, as well.

Dee_Dee Jul 9th, 2016 03:17 AM

If fish appeals to your group, I had the BEST lake trout ever at Gasthof Simony. Superb location on the lake with beautiful views, reasonably priced and a fun evening meeting a group of cyclists. Enjoy Hallstatt! It remains one of the loveliest places I've ever visited.

viranpooja Jul 12th, 2016 05:18 PM

Trophywife700 ... are you possibly talking about Die Gemischtwarenhandlung am See ? My sister found it on facebook and saw they are a general store that does laundry too

viranpooja Jul 12th, 2016 05:20 PM

Thanks everyone. I will try googling all the recommendations and look into their menus!

halfapair Jul 12th, 2016 05:49 PM

Hi Viranpooja - where are you staying that charges for breakfast? Just curious...

Trophywife007 Jul 12th, 2016 06:52 PM

Hi viranpooja: I looked it up on TA and that looks like the place. We had 14 items (things like boxers, pairs of socks, and jeans) and were charged a total of 14 euro for the washing/drying. It's basically 50 euro cents (whatever they're called) per item to wash and 50 to dry.

We also stayed at the Seehotel Grüner Baum (get on the lake side) and they had a wide variety for breakfast including Asian noodles. They did charge extra for eggs cooked to order which we ordered since the scrambled eggs at the buffet were cooked with potato.

Have a great trip!

viranpooja Jul 13th, 2016 07:10 PM

Halfapair...I am staying at the Heritage Hotel

bettyk Jul 14th, 2016 08:47 AM

Nice and fairly new hotel right on the Lake. Surprised they don't include breakfast as most hotels Hallstatt do. I believe there is at least one little café/restaurant right on the market square that probably serves breakfast.