Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hallstadt Vs. Berchesgaden (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hallstadt-vs-berchesgaden-166838/)

Wanderirng Minstrels Mar 3rd, 2002 05:31 PM

Hallstadt Vs. Berchesgaden

We are traveling to the Saltzburg area in August and would like to stay 5 days touring via rental car either west to Berchesgaden/Garmisch-Partenkirchen or south to Salzkammergut area - Hallstadt. We don't like crowds and lines, we do like pretty scenery, quaint towns, castles and alpine hikes. Questions: (1) For those who have been to both areas, which do you prefer and why? (2)Any favorite inns to stay at (we are a family of 4 with two kids, 12 and 14) - - we are looking for something folksy.

BOB THE NAVIGATOR Mar 3rd, 2002 05:43 PM

Wow--that is a tough choice. I think you can do some of both. I would stay in St. Gilgen at the Gasthof Kendler for 3 nites and do that area including Hallstadt as a day trip. I would then drive to Bavaria and stay at Gasthof Zur Rose in Oberammergau for 2 days of the castles, the Weiskirche and Kloster Ettal. August may be a bit crowded but you should be fine. Say hello to the Von Trapps for me and have fun.

Ann Mar 4th, 2002 04:30 AM

Well, this time I have to respectfully disagree with Bob. If you don't like crowds and lines, you won't enjoy staying in Oberammergau, which is a pretty touristy spot, esp. in summer and is nowhere near Berchtesgaden. I would, however, stay there. Specifically, I would stay in one of the little hotels on the lake far back in the mountains. You can hike the Jenner mountain trail, see the Eagle's nest, ride the wooden slide into the salt mines, cruise on the Konigssee via electric boat to the chapel, then hike through the forests to the bridge where there's another little chapel, lots more... let me know if you want a specific recommendation.

Wayne Mar 4th, 2002 06:18 AM

Well, I suppose I'll throw in my 2 cents' worth, and perhaps that's all it's worth---but anyway, I am very fond of the Salzkammergut lakes and mountains, of which Hallstatt is not officially a part, but is so close it should be. Personally, I would skip the Garmisch / Oberammergau area and stay around the Mondsee or Traunsee, then just drive around all the lakes and take day trips to Hallstatt and Konigsee, which are both too pretty to miss. You can see I'm a lake/mountain person, but that's just my personal preference. A great spot to stay, with an incredible view right on the Traunsee, is the Classic Hotel Post in Traunkirchen, a lovely little lakeside village not far from nice castles (Schloss Orth is a few miles north) and wonderful scenery everywhere. Plus, with kids who might like to swim, you can drive around the various lakes and stop at several spots where people pull over for swimming, and usually there's a big grassy area on the shore for sunning. Have fun.

bettyk Mar 4th, 2002 06:58 AM

I have to side with Wayne. I too love the Salzkammergut area including Hallstatt. I found the scenery to be magnificent. I am not familiar with the hotel Wayne mentions -- we stayed in Hallstatt at the Seehotel Gruner Baum -- but there are so many beautiful spots I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

ellen Mar 4th, 2002 08:35 AM

I don't really consider Garmisch in the Salzburg "area". It's an entirely different area which deserves several days on its own. If you're intent on Salzburg, then follow the advice of those above.

Ann Mar 5th, 2002 05:31 AM

Oh, I don't know what I was doing when I posted earlier, but obviously I meant to say that I would stay in Berchtesgaden, not in Oberammergau, as my message seemed to indicate! As noted, Oberammergau and the Garmisch region is nowhere close to Berchtesgaden, which I highly recommend for this family, given their preferences and dislikes. I should add that there will almost certainly be some lines anywhere in Bavaria in the summer, but at least in the area around Berchtesgaden, you have the beautiful, wide-open mountains to hike.

Al Mar 5th, 2002 07:49 AM

I have to also agree with Wayne. Don't miss the lakes in the Halstatt area or Berchtesgaden. We were there in May last year. We took a long days drive and covered much of the area around Halstatt. We rented a small electric boat and spent an hour on the lake there. We stopped at several towns, nice railroad museum display at St. Wolfgang(I think I've remembered the name right, I'm at work). We also spent a day at Berchtesgaden and took the long boat trip. Spent some time hiking a short ways. We found it a little more crowded there and a little touristy, but well worth it. Again you can do both and should! Have a great trip.<BR>Al

Wandering Minstrels Mar 13th, 2002 06:03 PM

Thanks for all of the info. We ended up deciding to stay in Salzburg 5 nights as one base, and stay 4 nights in Garmisch as a second base. One last question though - - it looks like it may be a long day to drive from Garmish over to Neuschwanstein and possibly/probably wait in a big line to see the castle. I read some place about a wait of 4 hours (visions of Disney World - yikes!), but I also heard you can buy some sort of "pass" (from where and how much??) that allows you to go to the front of the line. Is the drive and possible wait to see Mad Ludwig's "Cinderella" castle worth one of the precious days? (We will see Linderhof - - closer to Garmish.) Thanks to all!<BR><BR>

Julie Mar 14th, 2002 04:06 AM

You can get advance tickets for Neuschwanstein via internet booking. Rick Steves website at www.ricksteves.com/news/0011/ludwig.htm explains both how to get tickets to the castles--neauschwanstein and hohenschwangau, his mom and dad's place on the adjoining mountain. It also gives info about a new Ludwig musical at a lakeside theatre near the castles. This is obvious commercialization and costly but could be interesting especially with the kids. If you get the tickets by internet be sure to read them thoroughly concerning arriving in advance of your scheduled time to find time to park, etc. The drive isn't long from GAP to the castles but it will be crowded. Other posts on GAP (license plate name for Garmisch-Partenkirchen) suggest Frauendorfer in Partenkirchen as an excellent family hotel/gasthof. We ate there and enjoyed their entertainment but didn't stay there. Stayed at Alpenhof in nearby Grainau. Nice place.