Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Half Day tour of Toledo? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/half-day-tour-of-toledo-796698/)

scdreamer Jul 21st, 2009 04:34 AM

Half Day tour of Toledo?

I will be in Madrid on my own for a couple days later this week before I travel on to Salamanca for a week-long language program. I am flying in from the west coast of the US, so I know I will need a day to acclimate to the time change.

For the second day, I am considering taking a half-day tour to Toledo with Viator tour company. I am thinking I will do the morning tour, which leaves Madrid at 8:45 and lasts about 5 hours. I have dinner plans for that evening, so will need to be back in time to get ready.

Has anyone used this tour company? Does it seem worth it to visit Toledo for such a short time ... I have not been there before, and after my Salamanca program I am heading northwest to Galicia for a couple weeks, so I won't be getting back that way on this trip.

I have stayed in Madrid in the past, but not any points south.

zeppole Jul 21st, 2009 04:45 AM

Tough call. Part of the impact of Toledo is the atmosphere. On the other hand, I would imagine it's hotter than a frying pan there right now, so were I going, I would only be walking around until lunch time, and then hiding until sunset! With a beer.

I think I might go, and if it was obnoxious being marched around at too fast a pace, just drop out and enjoy the atmosphere and figure out how you're going to get back some day.

patsy214 Jul 21st, 2009 04:48 AM

I would definitely take the half-day tour to Toledo. Although I am not familiar with that particular tour company, a half day in Toldeo is worth it. It is a beautiful walled city with so much history. I have been there 2x and both times it was enjoyable. You will get to see a lot in the short time because it is not that big. Also, have a great time in Galicia it is a really nice area of Spain. I have been there many times visiting friends. The food is the best in that part of Spain. I particularly liked La Coruna and Sada. Have fun!!

amsdon Jul 21st, 2009 05:49 AM

It is a compromise. You can arrange to get there & have more freedoe. Or if your may be tired, just take the tour. There is a review section on that company I think online. No it is not the same, yes you will be herded but in many circumstances it is a happier medium. Toledo is still Toedo after all & beautiful. I took the Pulmatour to Valle de los caidos for 1/2 day & it fit the bill for us because we were driving later on in the trip & did not want to do the car till later. The Pulman tour co is right next to the Royal Palace by the way but I do not know if they go to Toledo. They were not very helpful at the office , but I think you can decide up the day of if you go early or perhaps stop by when you arrive. Viator is a well known company yes.

amsdon Jul 21st, 2009 05:50 AM

Sorry typos again I think I should change my screen name to TYPOGiRL ...always rushing...

lincasanova Jul 21st, 2009 12:14 PM

You will most certainly see more on a tour and with such short time, sounds pretty convenienet to me!

scdreamer Jul 21st, 2009 04:06 PM

Thanks, everyone. I have booked the half-day tour for this Saturday. I just hope I'm not so jet-lagged that I oversleep!

Does it seem the best way to get from my hotel (near the Plaza Mayor) to the tour bus (Plaza Espana) would be by taxi? I have to be there by 8:30 a.m.

amsdon Jul 21st, 2009 04:59 PM

I would yes just in case. Take your water bottle .