Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Half Day in Nice (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/half-day-in-nice-644638/)

SloPugs Sep 6th, 2006 07:04 AM

Half Day in Nice

My husband & I will be staying at the Royal Riviera Hotel in St.-Jean-Cap-Ferrat for a week in October. Husband does not generally like larger towns, so we will be concentrating on the small towns, walks & general relaxation. We will be spending our last day in Nice, before we have to catch our early evening flight to Paris. I was there for several days in 1988, so I'm well aware of the size & scope of the choices, but I still want to get a fresh opinion (of someone who has been there more recently than I) on what to do if you only had a half day in Nice. I figure we can get there about 9:30-10:00 a.m., and we would head to the airport around 4:00 or so. Since it will be my husband's first time there, what do you suggest? I was thinking of starting at the Chagall Museum, than lunch, than a stroll on the promenade des Anglais/Vieux Ville. I figure we could do that in that amount of time. Any comments or suggestions?

Underhill Sep 6th, 2006 08:23 AM

That seems to be about all you'll have time for and will keep your husband out of the "big city" part of Nice. But as long as you'll be out near the Cimiez district (with the Chagall museum), why not add the Matisse Museum? And while you're there, visit the lovely Fransciscan Monastery just the other side of the park.

Kathryncee Sep 6th, 2006 09:54 AM

I was just in Nice last week. We did a lot of day trips in the area so did not go to alot of things in Nice.

We did not go to any museums or historical sites.. however, we did stroll along the Promenade and Old Nice and had a great lunch and just walked around.... that along (if done leisurly) was several hours. It was very relaxing.....
PS> LOVED Antibes and Eze Village for daytrips...

Neopolitan Sep 6th, 2006 10:18 AM

Here's one person who thought the Matisse museum was a pretty big nothing. While I love Matisse, there are virtually none of his "real" works in the museum, but rather some basic sketches and a few miscellaneous items. It would mean something to a real student of Matisse, but unless that's you, I'd not include it on a half day in Nice excursion.

The Marc Chagall museum is another matter and can be done in a short time, as it isn't huge, but what is there is magnificent.

I think the atmosphere of the old city and the marketplace is worthy of a stroll no matter how short your stay.

Underhill Sep 6th, 2006 10:22 AM

I thought the Matisse Museum had a few excellent pieces and found the description of Matisee's life and career quite interesting. But perhaps that would be best for another visit.

SloPugs Sep 8th, 2006 08:27 AM

Thanks for all the feedback! Anyone have any info. on the Franciscan Monastery?

Mimar Sep 8th, 2006 08:42 AM

What day of the week will you be in Nice? I'd reorder your plans: start in the old town with the market, have lunch there, then maybe a stroll along the Promenade Anglais before finishing with the Chagall Museum. A little stroll in peaceful, upscale Cimiez would be pleasant also -- but probably uphill.

Underhill Sep 8th, 2006 08:57 AM

The Franciscan Monastery is perched on a hill overlooking Nice and next to the city's rose garden. It makes for a very nice visit, and the church has three very fine paintings, including one possibly by Brea. There's also a small museum about the work of the Franciscans in Nice from the 13th century on.

Joe18 Sep 8th, 2006 09:20 AM

While the museums sound interesting, I thought the unique aspect of Nice was the Cours Saleya--which is the Old City market that Mimar and another poster mentioned. I've visited quite a few European markets, but the Cours Saleya is on a whole different scale. In part because of the things they sell--flowers and spices--it looks like a fantasy out of the Arabian Nights. When we visited in '98, spices were piled on tables in huge pyramids. And there are flea market shops leading into the square, plus socca vendors. Socca is Nice's contribution to street food; sort of a chickpea pizza.

Kathryncee Sep 9th, 2006 04:50 PM

Also on the Cours Salyera (spelling wrong, sorry I'm tired)- is the restaurant Le Safari that was excellent. We had dinner there but they serve lunch as well. It is a unique area and a good stroll.

Underhill Sep 9th, 2006 05:12 PM

The Cours Saléya is one of the main attractions of Vieux Nice and certainly not to be missed. I'd skip the Matisse museum in favor of the market.

hanabilly Sep 9th, 2006 07:39 PM

We are in a similary quandry and interested in all input. We will be in Nice just one night and a part of one day after disembarking a one week cruise, before continuing on to Cinque Terre in Italy. We will probably take in the same things-leisurely strolls through old Nice, etc. What we will truly be in search of is a premier dinner of Boulliabase. We missed it last time we were in Provence, and regretted it ever since. Any suggestions?
Thanks,

jjber1 Sep 9th, 2006 08:15 PM

I would highly recommend a stroll on the Promenade and a visit to Old Town Nice. But one of my favorite places to visit is the Hotel Negresco right there on the Promenade. It has beautiful art work on display,lovely shops and a beautiful reception room right off the lobby. And be sure to take the elevator up a few stories and then walk down to each floor to enjoy the incredibly lovely lobbies by the elevators. Each floor is decorated in a different theme from art deco to asian splendor. And the best thing of all it is free. We loved it!!

SloPugs Sep 14th, 2006 04:20 PM

Thanks again for all the feedback. The Cours Saleya sounds intriguing!