Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Horse hire/trail rides in Venice or Naples area. Also Vespa tours.

Old May 31st, 2012, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Everyone,
I wonder if anyone knows where I can go horse-riding in either the Venice or Naples area in October. I have done a bit of Googling and can't find any specific listings where I can just go on a short 1-2 hour trail ride. Most seem like riding holidays and I am a bit 'long in the tooth' for that now! I have owned many horses for over 50 years but its been a few years since I have last ridden.

I haven't fully checked out the Naples area but would prefer the Venice area if possible . But I am open to all ideas. Some hotels mention riding on the Lido beaches but I wonder if you have to be a guest of the hotel to hire.

Some years ago, I investigated horse riding in the London area and was a bit surprised that some riding schools had weight restrictions for riders . Not something I have heard of here in Oz though I imagine they may draw the line at very obese people. Some London riding establishments limited riders to 175lb, (12.5st,75kg.) and I wonder how many very tall, well built men would be able to hire a horse! I am tall and overweight (5'9" and 195Lb) but I'm working on it! I wonder if that could be a problem? I have hired horses in New Caledonia and Vanuatu when I was only slightly smaller and had no problems...they were big horses though!

Another reason I am asking here is that I only want a place where the animals are well cared for. Most places I have used in the past are good but I have seen a few" iffy" riding schools I wouldn't use. Maybe letting a big woman ride might be considered "cruelty" and I shouldn't bother? Only slightly joking here - I'm sure the horse wouldn't laugh!

So does anyone have personal experience on this subject?

I also like the idea of short Vespa tours in either region...No complaints from scooters if you are heavy! I have an Australian licence but am a bit rusty here too. I intend to brush up before leaving Oz so I am not a menace on the road. Do I need an international permit for a short ride?

Thank you all,
Kerry.
Old May 31st, 2012, 06:04 PM

I can't imagine they let you ride horse on the Lido - since it is a public beach filled with sunbathers in season. Obvious reasons for not allowing horses or dogs. Naturally you can;t ride in Venice proper since there are only canals. If you go to the mainland you might find a place that offers trail rides. I can only suggest google.

And again - no vespas in venice - only feet or boats.
Old May 31st, 2012, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, nytraveller.

I did wonder why some hotels advertised horse riding on a public beach! You can't do it here in Australia for the reasons you outlined. Perhaps I misunderstood.

I have been to Venice a few times before for longish stays and am aware there are no vehicles. I am looking for new things to do in the area as I will be there at least 10 days. I want somewhere to go in a comfortable travel time from Venice where I can ride horses or Vespas .

Thanks again.
Old May 31st, 2012, 09:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
A google search for 'horseback riding veneto italy' brought up a few options on Isola Albarella (near Rosolina), San Martino di Venezze, and elsewhere. They all seem to be more than an hour out of Venice and not easily accessible by public trans. Are you willing to rent a car just for this outing?

http://www.everytrail.com/browse.php...y&state=veneto

http://www.venetoinside.com/en/what_...strian_centre/

http://www.villas-in-italy.net/venic...ing-school.htm

A similar search for '... campania italy' brings up several options which may or may not work depending on where you'll be staying in the Naples area.
Old May 31st, 2012, 10:20 PM
Original Poster

Thank you,Jean.This looks like what I am interested in. I must have needed to specify "veneto" for better results.

http://www.villas-in-italy.net/venic...ing-school.htm sounds good and I will look more closely at the other sites too.

Thanks again,
Kerry