Reload this Page >

half board in Rothenburg

Search

half board in Rothenburg

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 07:16 PM
Elizabeth

half board in Rothenburg

We are trying to choose between a bed and breakfast or a small hotel. The cost for the b&amp;b doesn't include the cost of dinner. The small hotel is quoting $12 per person for an evening meal. <BR>Does this seem like a good price for a dinner in Rothenburg? Don't know whether to pay in advance or for evening meals, but need to stay on a budget because we are travelling from Canada. <BR>

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 06:58 AM
John

Elizabeth:<BR><BR>$12 for Dinner!! Usually they are great values! Unless you want to eat at the McDonalds in town, I do not think you can do any better!!<BR>Why don't you tell us the Hotels you are considering and we (the lovely Fodors Rothenburg lovers) willtry and help you make a good decision!<BR>JOHN

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 05:34 PM
Elizabeth

Hi John,<BR><BR>Thanks for the advise.<BR><BR>The bed and breakfast is called Pension Becker. <BR><BR>The small hotel is also referred to as a guesthouse - but the restaurant does seat 45 - the name is <BR>Gasthof zur Silbernen Kanne.<BR><BR>Were from Canada so I've had to be careful with choosing affordable accomodations. I'm not sure you've even heard of these places.<BR><BR>Looking forward to your reply.<BR><BR>Elizabeth

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 06:24 PM
xxx

What does being from Canada have to do with choosing affordable accomodations??<BR><BR>just asking....

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 07:44 PM
Elizabeth

It will cost up 1.60 Cdn to buy one 1.00 Euro. We are not from Britain or US where the exchange is more favourable. That is the point I am making.<BR><BR>

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 05:15 AM
John

Elizabeth:<BR><BR>Have not heard of that Pensionne! <BR>Saving money is not unique to Canada! I live in America and I always look for values when traveling! No matter what the rate!<BR>I have been to Rothenberg 6 times over 10 years and have stayed in a variety of places.<BR>Questions:<BR>What is your room budget?<BR>What are your ages?<BR>Any children traveling?<BR>Do you speak any German? (not needed in Rothenberg , but I have a great hotel just outside Rothenberg where knowledge of German would help!)<BR>Will you be commig by car?<BR>That would help make a decision for you!<BR>JOHN

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 08:49 AM
xxx

Elizabeth, <BR>Like I said, just asking. Trying to just understand. <BR><BR>Rothenburg is our favorite town in Europe. Have fun

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 12:20 PM
Heinrich

I know that the exchange rate is not as favorable for you as it is for U.S. $ but you guys to the north make so much more per hour than we make. It actually comes out to be about the same!!!!!

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 01:22 PM
Bob

Couple of tips before you decide: Don't go so cheap on your rooms that you are outside the walls of the town. The fun of this place is walking around...especially at night after the day trippers have left. Try to get a place inside the walls.<BR><BR>Second: Do you want to ear at the same place each night? Rothenburg has very reasonable restaurants that I think you can find a good meal at fair value. Even has a McDonalds if you can handle that. I would not get caught up in getting a place that provides dinner. They mostly all provide breakfast. Eat hardy then and you will not need the big dinner.<BR><BR>REICHS KUCHENMEISTER and MARKUSTURM both nice small hotels to check out. THE GRIEFFEN also okay but not as nice as the other two, but less expensive.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 02:35 PM
Shayne

To Heinrich:<BR><BR>Where do you get the idea that we Canadians make so much more per hour than Americans? That is nonsense. I think that in Canada, like in the US, people in certain cities make more, but they need to to live. In Toronto, as in New York, Chicago, etc. the cost of living is much higher than in Regina (Canada) or Boise for example. People in Toronto and New York often make more than those in Regina or Boise, but they often need to to survive. On the whole the standard of living of Canadians is probably roughly on par with that of Americans. There is no denying, however, that the exchange hurts us far more when we travel.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 02:49 PM
Moosehead

Some of the hotels outside the wall in Rothenburg are very nice - Hotel Hornburg in particular. Nice rooms, nice people, wonderful breakfast - and they speak some Canadian.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 03:44 PM
Elizabeth

Hi John,<BR><BR>Thanks for your response. <BR><BR>The owners of Pension Becker describe there B&amp;B as inside the romantic city town. I presume that means they are located inside the walls? <BR><BR>We are in our 40's, no kids, we will rent a car, but will be taking the train to Rothenburg. We need to find accomodations in Rothenburg.<BR><BR>Glad you enjoyed your holidays. I'm looking forward to seeing Germany in person. <BR>Elizabeth<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 03:52 PM
Elizabeth

I have to agree with Shayne, certain parts of Canada do cost more to live in. We live in B.C., on Vancouver Island to be more specific. House prices and the lack of any real industry in eroding our happy island life.<BR>Elizabeth

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 03:53 PM
Elizabeth

The moose makes me think of Canadian life????<BR>

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 04:20 PM
Moosehead

Elizabeth, no offense. I lived in Ontario for two years and consider myself part canadian. (I also think of Sweden when I think of Moose.)<BR><BR>I took the train to Rothenburg and even enjoyed an hour walking around Warzburg. The most english I heard on my trip was at the tiny train station in Steinach.<BR><BR>Besides McDonalds (thank goodness for their rest rooms on a Sunday) there are a lot of charming places to eat in Rothenburg.<BR><BR>Be sure to visit the Crime and Punishment museum while you're there - it was really interesting and creepy.<BR><BR>Avoid those deep fried &quot;Snowballs&quot;, they were kind of nasty.<BR><BR>Have fun.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 03:38 AM
John

Hi Elizabeth:<BR><BR>Wow you fired up the Canadians! I am planning a trip to Tremblant this year, so I hope to take some advantage of the exchange rate myself!<BR>Back to Rothenberg:<BR>Check out this neat website www.bavariaban.com Here you will find some good travel stories and some rec's on places to stay.<BR>If you are comming by train then my hotel rec woud not work for you. I am sure you have done a search on this site (country: Germany post: Rothenberg) and have poured over all the miriad of choices that many people have recommended so I will not go over any here. I will however strongly recommend that one night you have an early dinner and head over to the Market Square by 8:00PM and pick up the &quot;Nightwatchmans Tour&quot; A fun and informative evening! I also 'second' the rec on the Criminal Museum&quot; as very 'unique' experiemce!<BR>Here is a tip on a cheap snack. Look for a German Meat store(Metzgerie) (there is one on the main street just below the main square) and ask for a &quot;Leberkase mit senf&quot; on a semmel. You will have the equivalent of a square Hotdog! Yummy!!<BR>Bring good walking shoes, tour the town at night, visit the Kathe Wolfhardt Christmas store and have a great time!<BR>JOHN<BR>

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 09:01 AM
Moose

One comment about the Kathe Wolfhardt Christmas store - I went the week before Christmas and it was so crowded that I actually got nervous being there and had to leave. I guess the old Yogi Berra saying aplies - &quot;the place is so crowded that nobody goes there any more.&quot;

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 10:00 AM
peter

John,<BR>I'll be driving through Rothenberg later this month. Could you post the recommended hotel that you mentioned earlier?<BR><BR>thanks,<BR><BR>peter

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 10:13 AM
Dutch

Good luck driving &quot;through&quot; Rothenburg.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 10:24 AM
John

Elizabeth and Dutch<BR>First off I made a mistake on the Website I recommended<BR>www.bavariaben.com. There thats better!<BR>Dutch, go to that website and check out the Rothenberg Hotels. The &quot;Zum Ochsen&quot; is the one. I believe a woman with the email name of &quot;Drsmom&quot; gives her account of the HOtel It is about 3 miles from Rothenberg, the next town down the road. It is a small Pensionne/Farm that has basic good inexpensive food and clean basic rooms to let. The owner/cook/farmer/barkeep speaks only German, I believe, but you can get by in the dinning room and the Hotel room. Many people said that you should stay in Rothenberg proper and I agree that first timers should get the Full experience, but I have been there many times, so a short drive up the road after dinner still leaves me plenty of time to stroll and imbibe inside the walls!<BR>JOHN<BR>JOHN

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -