Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Half a Day Near Heathrow What-to-do Suggestions

Nov 8th, 2010, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

We will arrive at the Heathrow-Windsor Marriott about noon on a Friday in early June following transfer from the Dover Cruise Terminal. On Saturday we will spend the day exploring Windsor Castle but we don't have any ideas of how to spend Friday afternoon. The hotel is near Slough but is there anything interesting to see in that area? We have no interest in making our way into London for such a short time. Someplace like Stourhead Landscape Gardens would be perfect. Any ideas?
Nov 8th, 2010, 01:24 PM

I'd go to Windsor on the Friday, then take the train to London, Oxford or Bath on the Saturday

Personally though I'd change hotels as unless you've got a car or a lot of money it's a major pain to get to / from.
Nov 8th, 2010, 02:57 PM

I'd say Stourhead's a bit far just for the afternoon. Why not spend some time in Windsor Great Park?

http://www.thecrownestate.co.uk/windsor_great_park

http://www.theroyallandscape.co.uk/l...ryandheritage/
Nov 8th, 2010, 03:56 PM

Is that the hotel you must use? Is it provided w/ the cruise?

It is a pretty inconvenient location next to the motorway. I'd spend the Friday in Windsor and then you'd have all day Saturday to go farther afield.

(But what I'd REALLY do is change hotels to either at LHR or in Windsor -- unless the hotel is free and even then I'd think about it.)
Nov 9th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Yes, Stourhead is too far away - - that I know I was just using it as an example of what we might like to visit. But, taking your advice we will switch to another hotel near a train station so we can get to Windsor and probably Winchester. We will still be close to Heathrow so a taxi will get us there on Sunday. Thanks for the insight -much appreciated!
Nov 9th, 2010, 12:11 PM

Just about the only railway stations that directly serve both Windsor and Winchester are Waterloo in central London and Clapham Junction in inner suburban London.

The only station that's sort of convenient to both and to Heathrow is Slough itself - the most famously ugly town in Britain (google "friendly bombs"), and a two-change, 80 min journey to Winchester. Though it's a slightly longer (100 min)train journey to Winchester, Windsor itself is handier than Slough for Heathrow and infinitely nicer to be in.

There honestly is no sensible alternative.
Nov 9th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

I have dropped the Heathrow Marriott from consideration - I have also dropped Slough - I knew it was not a garden spot but the poetry did convince me for sure! So now on to research Windsor! Thanks again for the advice.