Venice and the Dolomites

Search

Venice and the Dolomites

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2005, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Venice and the Dolomites

Can anyone tell me if there is a view of the Dolomites from anywhere in Venice.
thanks
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 08:49 AM

The answer is NO. Although I have heard some people say they could see something from the top of the tower on St. Mark's Piazza, that's just their imagination. The earth's curvature and the distance prevent any view of the Dolomites.
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 10:04 AM

No? Then what are those mountains called that can be seen from Venice on a very, very, very clear day?
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 06:55 PM

Someone posted this link to the Locanda Cipriani on Torcello tonight. And look at those mountains in the background on the firs page! (And it doesn't even look like such a clear day)

http://www.locandacipriani.com/english/doveeng.htm
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 06:17 AM

For Holly's benefit: Those things you call mountains are the hills of the Veneto, north of Venice toward the city of Veneto. They are in fact small mountains, but they are not the Dolomites. At best, they might be called the foothills of the Dolomites.
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 06:33 AM

Well, those snow-covered Alpine lookings things behind the first layer of hills sure don't look like "foothills" to me. Whatever.
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 07:17 AM

Well, guess they are just foothills, then. I have a great photo of the view after I went from Castelrotto to Venice in 2003. Can forward you the link to my online pix if you want. Unfortunately, I don't have a handy map of Venice, but it was during a northeasterly wander after a visit to Madonna dell'Orto. There is a large open space right on the water with a clear view of mainland and the mountains (maybe they are foothills, but being from Chicago they look like bona fide mountains) beyond.
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 07:28 AM

Hey Chicago, you remind me of a story from my youth -- we were a bunch of band kids from Indiana on a tour of Europe. The first day we saw the Alps (while in Germany), we all crowded to the window and asked the busdriver to stop so we could take pictures.

Turns out those were not the Alps. We were still a day's drive from the Alps. But to us Hoosiers they sure looked big.

(Which reminds me of our confusion about the town of Ausfahrt. It was obviously a huge city, because there was a sign for Ausfahrt at what seemed like every exit on the highway -- but none of us had heard of it. When we finally asked the driver where was Ausfahrt, he had to pull the bus over, he was laughing so hard.)
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 09:11 AM

Isn't Ausfahrt a suburb of Umleitung?
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 09:49 AM

The Dolomites do go pretty far east--Venice isn't more than 60 miles or so from the southeastern edge of the Dolomites. Maybe they aren't the highest part of the Dolomites, but they are still the Dolomites.

A 10,000 foot peak on the eastern edge of the Rocky Mountains is still part of the Rocky Mountains even though it's dwarfed by the numerous 14,000+ foot peaks. I think the same would apply to the Dolomites.
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 10:24 AM

As the smog of Mestre and its plethora of heavy industry and oil refineries oft obscures any views towards the hills even the Veneto hills are problematic to being seen on most days i think.