Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Hague,Netherlands-Queens Birthday on April 30th

Hague,Netherlands-Queens Birthday on April 30th

Apr 27th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Hague,Netherlands-Queens Birthday on April 30th

I am hoping that some of my fav Fodor posters can help me on this one. I bid a trip for work that lays over in the Hague for two days this week thinking that I could include one day at Keukenhof Gardens for the spring flowers. This morning a friend called and said that she was dropping the trip as it is the Queen's birthday on the 30th and EVERYTHING is closed and the buses,etc. aren't running to get us to Keukenhof.

While I am upset that I might not be able to get to see the spring flowers I wouldn't mind being in the Hague for the Queen's birthday as I faintly remember that there is a parade or something?I cannot believe that all of the buses might not run to and from Keukenhof on a holiday. My question is: should I drop the trip as it will be a zoo trying to get in and back from the Hague for the festivities or to Keukenhof? Any info or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
May 10th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Just to let everyone know that my trip during the Queen's birthday was great fun! Amsterdam was supposedly crazy but since we stay out at the Hague we stayed in that vicinity. The Hague is a major party town the night before the Queens birthday so we chose to go out to the beach to enjoy the quiet. However, the next day we went to Delft and it was wonderful.

On the Queens Birthday,everyone is allowed to put out on the street anything that they want to sell on that day only-think major garage sale?It was amazing to walk around the canals of Delft and see all sorts of goodies out on blankets for all to buy.Children,seniors ,teenagers were all offering goodies. Everyone was enjoying the beer,crazy hats,the bands and wonderful food.It truly is like the 4th of July for Americans.Great Dutch spirit and friendship.
May 10th, 2009, 04:13 PM

The first time that I traveled to Amsterdam was to muy surprise during the Queen's Birthday, there were little shows everywhere and the square was bustling with vendors, musicians etc.., My friend and I had a great times and we were able to visit the Tulips farm the next day..

Search this Thread