Reload this Page >

Haggis Lovers Unite....

Search

Haggis Lovers Unite....

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 11:19 AM
anon

Haggis Lovers Unite....

".....What more reason do you need to head for Scotland? Up north, January means one thing: Burns night. Every year on January 25, the entire nation drinks, dances and partakes of haggis well into the small hours.....when the ceremonies began....The company stood and clapped slowly until the haggis, accompanied by a piper, was placed safely on the main table, whereupon Burns' poem To a Haggis was recited over it. Having never before had occasion to sample this famous dish, I was surprised - and relieved - to find that it tasted significantly better than it looked...."<BR><BR>for more go to the travel section at www.guardian.co.uk

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 11:33 AM
canuck

I think I'm quite adventurous when it comes to food BUT this one has always stalled me. Can anyone tell me what it tastes like? Frog legs taste like chicken; haggis tastes like ???

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 11:36 AM
inquiring mind

Waht is in it? One type of meat or several? what particular body parts are ground up--standard meat cts or mystery scraps? What kinds of herbs and spices are added--certain ones standard or up to the particular cook's individual preferences? How does it differ from sausage? Is there some starchy filler?

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 11:41 AM
Nausea

Forget It.

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 11:56 AM
Gua

As much as I like Scotland and the Scots that I have met, I can say the one time sample I ate of Haggis, it tasted like what canned dog food smells.

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 12:01 PM
inquiring mind

Is it like French rilletes? Or like Philadephia scrapple? Or what?

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 12:32 PM
jahoulih

It's sort of like hash. The meat is various parts of a sheep. I had it at the Willow Tea Room in Glasgow. It's served with tatties and neaps (mashed potatoes and mashed rutabaga). It's really not at all unpleasant (nor, however, is it a particular delicacy).

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 12:37 PM
Why

Such a vile ugly looking, tasting dish that gives Scotland a bad name.

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 02:28 PM
Patrick

OK, so all the haggis lovers unite. How many will be at this party in total -- 4 or 5 at most???

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 02:41 PM
jahoulih

To address a couple of inquiring mind's other questions, the starchy filler is, in good Scots fashion, oats. As for herbs and spices, I imagine it varies; I think I tasted black pepper and nutmeg in what I had.

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 03:20 PM
you asked....

1 sheep stomach<BR>1 sheep liver<BR>1 sheep heart<BR>1 sheep tongue<BR>1/2 pound suet, minced<BR>3 medium onions, minced<BR>1/2 pound dry oats, toasted<BR>1 teaspoon kosher salt<BR>1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper<BR>1 teaspoon dried ground herbs<BR><BR>Rinse the stomach thoroughly and soak overnight in cold salted water. <BR><BR>Rinse the liver, heart, and tongue. In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook these parts over medium heat for 2 hours. Remove and mince. Remove any gristle or skin and discard. <BR><BR>In a large bowl, combine the minced liver, heart, tongue, suet, onions, and toasted oats. Season with salt, pepper, and dried herbs. Moisten with some of the cooking water so the mixture binds. Remove the stomach from the cold salted water and fill 2/3 with the mixture. Sew or tie the stomach closed. Use a turning fork to pierce the stomach several times. This will prevent the haggis from bursting. <BR><BR>In a large pot of boiling water, gently place the filled stomach, being careful not to splash. Cook over high heat for 3 hours. <BR><BR>Serve with mashed potatoes, if you serve it at all.

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 03:33 PM
yucky

I JUST THREW UP.

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 03:42 PM
MaryC

To quote Sean Connery's character in "Highlander" upon hearing the description of haggis: "REVOLTING!"<BR><BR>'Nuff said.

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 07:43 PM
not

I thought that it was made from old hags.<BR>

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 08:40 AM
jpm

Hi, my name is John, and I am a Haggis Lover.<BR><BR>Actually, Haggis is very good and very filling, especially when partaken with neeps and tatties.<BR><BR>If you like liver you will probably like Haggis...and if you don't like liver, you won't.<BR><BR>Something similiar in taste to Haggis is Braunschweiger Sausage (sp?) that you can buy in most grocery stores near the luncheon meats. <BR><BR>Give it a try, you might like it. I would love to be in Scotland on the Jan. 25.<BR><BR>jpm

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 08:49 AM
canuck

Well I do like braunschweiger (sp?)...I always tell my kids "just try it once...if you don't like it, you never have to try it again"..I'm going to "do as I say" and give it a shot! But "you asked"...you almost put me off my lunch!

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 08:59 AM
you asked, pt. 2

If you're lucky enough to still have the esophagaus still attached to the stomach when purchased, you needn't pierce the stomach while cooking. Just drap it, the esophagaus, over the side of the pot which is how the steam will escape. You may want to keep your dinner guesst out of the kitchen - it's not a pretty sight to behold.

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 09:02 AM
yap2, rev.

sorry, meant "dinner guests"<BR><BR>and 86 "still" from "still have"

Old Dec 26th, 2001, 04:36 AM
Gaia

I LOVE HAGGIS! It tastes like very good liver sausage. You can get it in tins at Fortnum and Mason's - ask someone to bring you one. Don't look at the recipe.<BR>By the way, have you ever seen the ingredients of a real English Christmas pudding? You would be surprised.