Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Haggis - is it good? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/haggis-is-it-good-1040768/)

phillyboy Mar 20th, 2015 11:56 AM

Haggis - is it good?

Will be spending two weeks in Scotland in September, and am curious as to anyone's experience with Haggis. I have a basic understanding that it's sheep's stomach (sometimes an artificial casing is used) stuffed with organ meats, onions, oatmeal and spices.

I always try the local dishes when traveling, and can eat almost anything that claims to be food. I'm not in the least squeamish about innards or unusual ingredients of any kind, so am sure I will try it at least once. Did you like it, love it, hate it?

janisj Mar 20th, 2015 11:58 AM

It is basically a mild sausage. Some are good - some aren't. They don't bite so why not try it . . . :)

willowjane Mar 20th, 2015 12:01 PM

I love it!!!!

jane1144 Mar 20th, 2015 12:08 PM

I have a recipe "Haggis for 75". We make a double batch each year for our Robbie Burns Supper which is a fundraiser for our Pipe Band. There is never any left! Go for it, but, as Janis says, it is not all equal.

Gardyloo Mar 20th, 2015 12:09 PM

<i>...(sometimes an artificial casing is used)...</i>

Almost always unless you're at a formal Burns Supper or some such.

Pick up a haggis and chips from any decent chip shop and try it. Add a bottle of Irn Bru to accompany. This is best if your blood alcohol is at near-toxic levels.

AnselmAdorne Mar 20th, 2015 12:19 PM

"This is best if your blood alcohol is at near-toxic levels."

That made me laugh out loud, Gardyloo. I would say the same thing about eating seal flippers.

PatrickLondon Mar 20th, 2015 12:26 PM

It's a peppery, savoury mixture, not unlike eating the kind of stuffing mix you get with roast poultry. I didn't rave about it nor was I repelled by it.

MissPrism Mar 20th, 2015 12:31 PM

I rather like it sliced as part of a full Scottish breakfast. The best bet is to get it from a small butcher rather than the mass produced version. I have a Canadian friend who can't get it over there. She makes her own. Basically, it's a sausage, but the ingredients are probably a lot more wholesome than those you get in many sausages

papillon20 Mar 20th, 2015 01:22 PM

I had it as part of the Scottish breakfast at my hotel. Honestly I don't remember what it tasted like but that clearly means i didn't like or dislike it. Just try it and see how you feel. I'm generally not a big fan of sausage though anyway.

ESW Mar 20th, 2015 01:26 PM

We love haggis but they do vary a lot. Some contain a lot of liver and can be quite gamey. One of the best is McSweens. Many butchers make their own haggis to their own special recipes, so they all do taste slightly different.

Forget about what it might contain and just enjoy it. When it is served it is taken out of its casing.

Fra_Diavolo Mar 20th, 2015 01:32 PM

It's a nice peppery sausage sort of thing. I like it quite a bit.

flpab Mar 20th, 2015 01:36 PM

philly boy, think mushy scrapple.

nytraveler Mar 20th, 2015 02:04 PM

Tried one bite and was NOT enthused at all. I think it is an acquired taste.

Caveats: I am squeamish about eating any innards. I also am particular about what I eat (like many foods as long as they are well prepared - but there is a LOT of bad food out there, including in some "good" restaurants.)

historytraveler Mar 20th, 2015 02:15 PM

I had it served as deep fried meatballs once. Pretty good.

phillyboy Mar 20th, 2015 02:24 PM

I love all kinds of sausage ... and scrapple too ... so will definitely try at least a couple of different versions. Thanks for all the encouragement.

sandralist Mar 20th, 2015 02:26 PM

I just have no idea why you would think that 3 or 30 or 300 answers will tell you anything. I can think of a dozen foods millions of people the world over buy and enjoy -- oatmeal leaps to mind -- that make me gag.

I am sure I could the same range of opinions about mortadella, or sushi, or octopus or even pepsi rather than coke.

I don't know what to make of an answer like "I had it served as deep fried meatballs once. Pretty good." Sound revolting to me.

I am wondering if there are people who go around asking strangers: "Have you heard this song? Will I like it if I listen to it?" or "I'm thinking of getting a nose job. Will I like the results?" "I'm thinking of planting roses. Do you like the smell?"

?

historytraveler Mar 20th, 2015 02:47 PM

I'm sorry sandralist, I don't understand your comment. Oh, I get it, just slam everyone's post including the OP's. After all, only your opinion matters. The rest of us are just a bunch of silly fools offering silly opinions in response to a silly request.

Fra_Diavolo Mar 20th, 2015 04:12 PM

Oh, it's 10:30 in Italy. I expect she's been hitting the vino and feels the need to trash the rest of us for not having the privilege of being her. Sad really, she has a lot to offer when she remembers she's mortal, too.

janisj Mar 20th, 2015 05:52 PM

Like every post not re Italy (and MOST re Italy) - just ignore . . . .

Gina_07 Mar 20th, 2015 05:56 PM

I didn't love it but I quite liked it. However. mine wasn't a sausage. I ordered it at a tavern on Rose street in Edinburgh. It came with mashed potatoes, an oatcake, and it was not a sausage but simply the internal organs shopped and spiced. I would recommend.