Hagan, a few apartment questions,please

May 5th, 2007, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Hagan, a few apartment questions,please

Hagan, I am very interested in the apartment you mention. I emailed Francine & she says it is available for our dates in October. May I ask you a few questions?

Was Francine reachable while you were staying there? I am thinking of emergencies, etc. What were the payment arrangements? Any extra fees? Did the financial details go smoothly?

Are all the amenities listed on the ad really there? Does the TV have any English stations? Any English DVD's? I know, I know--it's Paris, why would one be home watching TV? But I am traveling with my mom and we tend to do our exploring early in the day...

I realize you were there in winter, but without air conditioning, do you think there is enough ventilation to be comfortable on the 6th floor in warmer weather? Is there any view?

Finally, what is the building like? New, old? There is a lift, right?

We have always stayed in a hotel in Paris but, with the crashing dollar, this may be a lovely alternative. I told Francine I'd heard good things about her flat and she asked from whom. I'll tell her your name if you like. Thanks you so much for your help.
May 6th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

ttt, s.v.p.
May 9th, 2007, 05:05 PM

Hi Ciel!

The apartment is lovely and just as it is pictured. Francine gave us her cell number in case we had any questions or emergencies, and she took time to lead us through the apartment and show us how everything works.
There were no extra fees. We paid in Euros upon arrival. The only thing that is different than what the website says is there's no continental breakfast provided. Francine said there was a question on the website application regarding the nearness of bakeries, cafes, and such, and that it automatically came up with that response! Regardless, she had coffee, cocoa, butter, condiments, etc. all available there. And Paul's bakery is just a minute's walk away, so the freshest croissants are literally at your doorstep.
I think you might be OK in the summer, if there are one or two fans. It is an old, historic building with thick walls. The views out of the living room and kitchen are like something out of a French impressionist's painting - just what you imagine Paris to look like.

The TV didn't have any English stations, and I must confess we did miss getting CNN or BBC but we did OK, and I think our French improved! There are literally tons of interesting books, many of them filled with gorgeous photos of Paris. And yes, there is a lift, just large enough for 2.

I can attest that the bed and the futon are extremely comfortable, and the apartment is quiet (at least, it is when the windows are closed).

So I think you would really enjoy your stay there, as the location is really incredible, and the conveniences are everywhere. So many places to eat nearby!

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask. And yes of course you may tell her it was Joyce Hagan from Florida (with hubby and grandsons) who recommended the place - I'd LOVE to go back someday!
May 9th, 2007, 05:17 PM

Sorry, I meant to say that the website says that continental breakfast IS provided, and it isn't. You have to bring the juice and pastries, but the coffee is there!
May 9th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Hi Joyce, thank you so much for your reply. Just a few more questions, if you don't mind.
What is the bedroom like? There were no pictures. Enough closet/drawer space for two?

There seems to be a lack of windows, but maybe that is just the camera angles. Did you find it dark?

Is there a DVD player? Is there internet connection in the apartment?

Is there a washer/dryer? If so, did you use it?

None of these things are deal breakers--please don't get the idea that we're super finicky--we've just never gone outside the comfort level of a hotel before. We're still trying on the idea of an apartment. I will pass along your name to Francine. Thanks again.
May 10th, 2007, 09:05 AM

Ciel,
The bedroom was a decent size, with end tables and lights on either side of the bed. I believe there was plenty of drawer and closet space, but we just lived out of our suitcases since we were only there for 3 nights. There's a large window in the bedroom that looks onto a courtyard.
There's only the one double window plus a small glass inset in the living room, and a nice window in the kitchen. That's it for light.
I believe there was a DVD but we didn't use it. She uses a laptop in the apartment, so I suppose there is access, but we don't have a laptop! We just used the internet place on Rue de la Harpe, a 5 minute walk away. 4 euros per hour.
There's a clothes washer in the kitchen, as well as a dishwasher (!), but we didn't use either one.
Wish I could be of more help. One thing I would definitely recommend if you're thinking of staying in an apartment would be to bring a cell phone that can be used in Europe. We definitely felt a little lost without that convenience, especially when you realize there's no "front desk" to help you with anything!

Joyce
May 10th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Joyce, thanks for being so generous with your time. I think the hotel will win out this time, but I will remember all this for the next trip!
May 10th, 2007, 03:34 PM

Ciel,
Whatever you decide, have a great trip. There's no place like Paris!
May 14th, 2007, 01:45 PM

Hagan---I have also checked with Francine based upon your recommendations. The dates are available for our mid-September arrival.

1. I, too, am concerned about the AC---unsure of weather in mid-September?

2. My husband and I are staying for 3 nights. The hotels in a good area seem so expensive compared to this. How did you feel about an apartment for such a short period of time?

3. Can you tell me about access to public transportation from here? We will be entirely relying on it (and speak zero French).

4. Any good restaurant recommendations for the area?
May 23rd, 2007, 11:53 AM

Mindibz,

Sorry I'm so late replying, but I had a death in the family and had to travel out of state, so I've just been home a few days.
I don't know what to advise about the a/c in September. I've been to Paris in mid-September once, and the weather was lovely, no real need for a/c, but who can say?
I think you would find the apt. perfect for you and your husband. There are SO many places to eat within a 1 or 2 minute walk, you won't be able to try them all! Just because you're staying in an apartment, you don't HAVE to eat in. We did a lot of the time to save money, as there were 4 of us, but if it were just hubby and me, we'd probably bring in croissants for breakfast, have wine, cheese, bread, etc. for evening snacking, and eat out the rest of the time. I just found that with only 3 nights, grocery shopping for most meals took up more time than I'd intended, simply because I couldn't decided what to fix!
As for transportation, the location is unbeatable. You're just a short block from the Odeon metro, and a 5-minute (tops) walk from St. Michel station. Plus, it's an easy walk to the Louvre, Notre Dame, St. Germain-des-Pres church, the Seine cruise dock, really most everything. If you do decide to go, I'll give you more information about what's nearby to see. Wish I were going back!